Lets be honest...

MN72Busa

Formerly known as "Zuki"
Donating Member
Registered
Ok, I would like some honesty here. To what limit have you taken the Busa with a passenger? Above 100, 150, 170, wheelies, etc...

Now, I know the Safety Council will chime in and say anything above 65 mph with a passenger is just silly, but Im asking for honest answers. Even if you did it once, and will never do it again, what have you done skilled, stupid, or just plain wrong with a passenger on the Busa?

I'm not looking to start a squid thread, just wondering how far you have pushed with a passenger. And have you learned any lessons from your experience while pushing those limits?

And just to set the record straight, I have always asked my passenger what their comfort level is. Yah, I've been in the 150 end of things, and yes I've done a few wheelies at 70+ mph with a passenger....completely stupid...risking someone's life, even if they feel comfortable. No matter how much skill, I do realize luck does run out...but I figgure if I'm asking for honest answers from the members here, I should be the first to start.

Had the wife onboard, accelerated hard to about 85 (frontend stayed down). We have a son and I had his entire world in my hands.

Don

The fastest that I have been with my wife on the back was 120'ish (135 indicated) - she made the call, she told me when to back off.... never wheelied with a passenger...

110 front tire came up about 5 or 6 inches(open highway no cars around) one time not intentional the weelie that is
smile.gif

Thus far:

1. I've leaned deeper and harder w/ my lady on the back than I have solo....she mentioned it before I did. "We've never leaned that deep before on your Gixxer".

2. Out riding w/ some friends w/ my lady 2 up and someone blows past me thinking whatever they were thinking (probably something like "BiG-T can't hang w/ me when he's riding 2-up") so I pulled them back in. I looked down after blowing past them and I was at 150 and climbing....and my gear indicator displayed 5.
rock.gif
Again she mentioned it before I did..."we've never ridden that fast before...how fast was it?"

She has her license as well...just doesn't have her own bike.

after three years of owning the busa.i finally got my wife to start riding with me.she is afraid of the bike not me as a driver.i dont want to scare her back off of the bike. 85 is as fast as ive gone with her on back.

Obviously having a passenger on back changes things up from riding solo. I know most of the members here have years of riding experience, but for the few that may be new to riding with a passenger...

1) Depending on mods, WOT 1st, 2nd gear with passenger will raise the front end off the ground...and will keep lifting. I found that 12'O clock is about the natural balance point on the Busa, however the passenger will feel like their back is almost horizontal with the road.

2) Clucthing the Busa in 2nd gear at about 60 mph will lift the front end up VERY QUICKLY with a passenger. If the passenger is not hanging on properly...well expect some bad stuff to happen real quick.

3) On higher speed runs, make sure the passenger keeps their head and body inline with you. It's amazing how a passengers helmet that is peeking to the left or right of you can disturb the balance of the bike.

4) Putting the Busa down from a wheelie takes some skill not to slam it down and bust out fork-seals. I'm not here to tell people how to do it, just beaware that getting the Busa up is much easyer than putting it back down safely.

...edited by BiG-T...

3) On higher speed runs, make sure the passenger keeps their head and body inline with you. It's amazing how a passengers helmet that is peeking to the left or right of you can disturb the balance of the bike.

She found that out....wind smacked her in the face and jerked her head back.

well i would say 130ish once will not do that again fun put after doing it i was so....

<!--EDIT|moeluv
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153451935 -->

10_12_9.gif

130 corrected on the way to bike night tonight, but I don't make a habit of it. Usually I baby the thing like it's still nursing a bottle when she's on the back.

Max speed and wheelies...I just tap the wrapped arms as a warning and its on...Bike actually handles better with the added weight...

I always ask my passenger their experience level on a motorcycles, then determine what I would do, 99% of the time, I imagine what would happen and what others would think if I hurt or even killed someone because of a stupid act I did on my bike. I couldnt handle that. example, normlly when I have a little room to make a turn before a car drives by, I WILL accel and make that turn, but with a passenger I couldnt be more careful, I wait for the car to pass..
smile.gif

I always ask when I am about to do something..and when they say yes...HELL YEAH!!....

<!--EDIT|KanjiBusa
Reason for Edit: None given...|1153455225 -->

ABOUT 150. Power wheelie if they ask. But I tell them hold on for life. And always ready to back off if I feel them slipping.

We rode through the mountains, not breaking 100mph. Just 100mph a few times to pass.

Then once, just to say she did it, I took it over 200km/h. That's what, 115mph?

I've never wheelied with her on it. I always try to be super safe with a passenger.

My wife has rode many and many of miles on the back of my bike. I hit 150(indicated) a couple of times and done little power wheelies on accident. She has learned to hold on tight at all times. When I feel her let loose of me, a little crack of the throttle always brings her attention back. I would never do anything on the bike that she didn't feel comfortable with.

I get the infamous "nudge' ....between 130~150 .... but I abide by it nomatter WHEN I get it...even at 20mph.
She likes the power roll-on wheelies....never do and feathering of the clutch.

everything depends on her mood....and respecting the 'nudge' !

cool.gif

Back