Palomar

drumfanatic

Registered
Rode Palomar for my first time today. I have to say that it definately lives up to the hype. I wanna send a shout out to fellow hayabusa.org member Devil Dog for taking me out there. We went out at about 7:30 this morning and it was amazing. The only bad thing was there were about 30 or so cop cars patrolling the area. We were just cruzing though, as it was my first time. If you haven't been yet, it does come highly recommended!

Sweet, Vinny! I'm glad you got to get out this morning, as planned. Did Lamb join you?

Missed you on the Idyllwild dealio, but maybe next weekend.

beerchug.gif

I thought CA 2 -Angeles Crest HWY- was the west coast Dragon.  great roads non the less.
We have about 9 or 10 SoCal Dragons.

I'm sure there is at lest that many in NorCal as well.

The roads out here may not be the smoothest, but they rock twisty wise.

Hey scar, are these the kind of roads you were filming on ?
bowdown.gif
K. Here's 'my' deal on Pally...

When I first bought my '02, way back when...a friend took me to Palomar on a weekend. The guys on the sport-bikes up there were (apparently) crazy-awesome drivers. In fact, because I was a relative newb, they were buzzing my tail-end, effecting what I would call 'unsafe' passes, and generally, not being very accommodating. At one point, I looked in my rear-view and there was a guy so close to my rear, all leaned over in a corner, that it startled me, and I lost my line. That was not a good experience, in fact, it could have been disastrous. I decided then and there that I did not like Palomar and resultantly, never went back.

Last year, a seasoned female rider was up on the famed Mountain, riding her ride, when a squid lost control of his bike. His machine bounced off a guard-rail and into her path. He lived, she did not. (Ever think life is unfair?) I suspect there are scores of stories like this one.

Because of it's incredible reputation, Pally is crowded with underqualified squids. That day, I was one of them.

Earlier this year, the SoCal Busa Bros (Vinny, Charles, Lamb, Craig (Shortboarder) and a couple of others and I) went across (up one side, down the other) Palomar. There was snow at the top, the surface of the road covered in ice and sand. We made it safely across. It was my first time going back there. Also earlier this year, many in the same group went across, and because of the timing, it was a far better ride. Quite enjoyable. To call it 'fantastic' would be an understatement.

As Charles mentioned, we have tons of awesome roads in SoCal. Enough so I can get a Pally-type ride without going there. These other roads don't have the rep that Pally does, so they're not over-crowded dangerous.

Turns out the Mongols were in town and around Palomar this past weekend. For anyone who doesn't know, that's the 'bad' group of Hell's Angels. Really bad. All the LEOs from all over the county were there and focused, so all the rest of the roads were rather devoid of 'the law'. It was sweet.

If you can get to Pally on a non-weekend day, go. If not, I think there's too much activity to really enjoy the road the way it's laid out.

For the sake of sharing, one day this summer, I'll get a group together, head that way, roll the camera, and share the result with ya'llz.

Palomar? Well, it's fabled.

Scar,

My experience with Pally is pretty much the same as yours. I went there on a Saturday all by myself shortly after I moved to SoCal. Never been on the road before and I had litre bikes and 600s buzzing by me like I was a cone in the road. I was white knuckled for sure and did not really enjoy it. Awesome road but way too crowded on the weekends. With that said, I totally fell in love with Idlewold and 74 to Palm Desert! Great twisties then enough straight to get the triple digit bug out of your system before you hit another set of great twisties!
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

I just found this pic (taken by Mark (SD1300) of our ride to Pally last February (17FEB08).

The road was drier on this side than on the other, but you can certainly check the snow...

Palomar__2__2_17_08.jpg

Back