Painted the grab bar

HT_USMC

Registered
I painted the grab bar last night. Tested the color on the hidden portion and it looked like a decent match, if not exact. So I decided to go to task on the entire bar.

I layered three even coats on the bar, letting each of them dry before applying the next. I guess I didn't pay much attention to the first two coats as they dried but I was a little unimpressed with the third, as it seemed extremely flat. Sure it had the metallic flake that the stock Deep Pearl Blue has, but flat. This being my first automotive paint project, I wasn't sure what to expect, so I expressed that impression (or lack thereof) to my better half. She repeats, "I told you not to do it, black looked just fine". Well, thanks, honey. Then I decide I'm going to live with it... Deep Pearl Blue is much better than any black, so I set out to clear coat it.

After three applications of the clear coat, allowing for each to dry for the perscribed amount of time, all I can say is "wow". Amazing the difference. It's deep, glossy and full of color. I went in to tell Caroline how it looked but she had fallen asleep on the couch. It figures.

So this morning, I get up and check it out again. It looks even better. I take it inside and show her and she was speechless. Finally, she utters the question, "did you really pull it off". Followed closely by these priceless words, "That looks incredible".

Once the bike gets back from the shop I plan to dremel out the hump and attach the bar, without looking back. Pictures to follow shortly.

All I can say is Color-rite has my business for a long time to come! Next up, the mirror housing!

Question: Can the same method be used on the wheels or is powdercoating a must? With my limited knowledge, I am assuming it can be done.

<!--EDIT|HT_USMC
Reason for Edit: None given...|1147181449 -->

I would powder coat the wheels. Cheaper than paint, more durable and easy to clean.

There were some great looking wheels powder coated on eBay a while back in metallic blue. They looked awesome. Went for $400.00. All the casting marks were sanded smooth also.

Maybe you saw them.

hogger...

+1 on the powder coat.

You save time and material but you have to invest time on the prep.

I wet sanded and polished all of my parts before using a transparent powder coat. If you do not prep it good enough its not as forgiving as paint.

Sounds great; got any pics? I have considered painting my grab bar..

Sounds great; got any pics?  I have considered painting my grab bar..
Here ya go.

I didnt do the grab bar but the top clamp and resevior caps were polished.

DSC01663.jpg

DSC01661.jpg

<!--EDIT|heavybusa
Reason for Edit: "retarded"|1147194329 -->

Back