Overkill? Your thoughts

A ride around the block.. yea that would be overboard..

A 10 day riding trip... That is a lot of riding and I would say ya did the right thing.

Having said that, If I was 18 and going on a 10 day riding trip, didn't own a bike, and didn't plan on buying one.  I would not have personally bought that much gear if any at all. But that again would have been my choice. Chosing for my kids would be different.

"If God forbid something did happen to him I think I could live with no regrets".

"...live with no regrets."  Hmmm...did you buy the protection for your son?  Or for you?  

My son turned 18 one year ago and we (my wife and I) let him buy a bike (95 Katana) with the stipulation that he pay for everything himself and take the rider safety course.  He did.  He bought gloves (required for the safety class) and already owned a helmet (we snowmobile).  I bought him a jacket with armor.  When we ride we pretty much wear the same gear - armor jacket, helmet, gloves, and over-the-ankle work boots.  He's a good rider but everytime he goes out I still think about all the things that could happen.  Then again, I think about the same stuff everytime I get on the bike.  I guess we could both be safer, but if I really want to be safe I would give up riding and sit in a rocking chair until I die (not likely).

If you really want your son to be safe tell him he can't go.  Then buy him a rocking chair - with a seat belt and an air bag.  That'll teach him to be scared of living and cheat him out of all sorts of fun experiences - like motorcycling, riding in a car, cutting with scissors, drinking hot liquids, eating at Taco Bell, etc.

On the other hand you can let him go and (probably) have the greatest experience of his life (next to having you as a father of course).  Just make sure you explain the dangers and how to be safe (includes wearing aforementioned gear).  Then trust God and your father (or is that "God your Father?") to take care of your son.  

I'm guessing your boy will be in pretty good hands because it sounds like your dad did an OK job raising his son.  Right?  

By-the-way, your son will probably only use the type of gear you wear.  Or only the gear your father wears.  Your dad doesn't ride in shorts, sandals, and a ball cap does he?
I bought the gear for both... I was in emergency services for about 10 years and I saw alot. I have to let my kids experience life but at the same time mitigate risk. There are things that I did as a kid that there is no way that I would let my boys romp off and do, however I also learned that things I did (riding motorcyles) is a part of who I am. I never wore any gear when I rode on the dirt or the street, gear wasnt even a thought back then. My sons ride dirtbikes too but they wear protection. I have to leverage what he does in life until he is 18 with risk and reward, while I think he will be just fine I am not willing to let him blindly ride off with no protection, if I did I could never live with the haunting thought that I could have easily provented something with a little gear.

So to answer gear for his physical well being and future, and for my sanity.

cap

thumb_up.gif

you did the right thing CAp
beerchug.gif
how could you ever tell him to wear gear in the future (when he gets his own streetbike) if you didn't look out for him and make him do it now?

You did exactly what I would have done. the more gear the better!
thumb_up.gif

You did exactly the right thing. Your buds at work don't know what they are talking about, you should tell them to read the .org more often. Personally I can not stand it when I see a kid on a bike with a poorly fitted helmet sneekers and jeans and then the driver is leathered helmet gloves ect. I plan on riding my kids in a few years but they won't sit on it until they have at least as much gear as I do. Probably more than I do cause I don't have pants yet.
beerchug.gif
I know how much my skin is worth. My kids is worth even more.
beerchug.gif

beerchug.gif

4. I wrecked in July of 07 and feel I am very fortunate...

The guys at work were telling me that since he was on a Goldwing he was safer and the odds that something happens to him is slight anyway.
Tell the sugarbritches at your work their ******* idiots for even MAKING a statement that naive.
I'm guessing 1 of 2 things here. Either 1 , they don't ride, or 2, they are just plain stupid.

He is YOUR son, and you at least give a **** about him enough to spend
the money to protect him. Those ****** idiots wouldn't say that **** if
they had ever seen a motorcycle wreck without gear on.

Show them this 31mph Goldwing crash test video with and without airbag deployment
since they think they're so smart and tell them to stick it up their ass.
http://video.google.com/videopl....orcycle

Don't second guess yourself.
Gear is good. Tell them to go **** themselves.
ANY Bike regardless of what it is can wipe out and do devastating
damage to the riders be it from the front, a skidout wipeout - kicking the riders
off to skid across the pavement at 30,40, 70mph.....etc...

Those clowns at work are just razzin you. Don't stress over what they say. If it were my son, I would've done nearly the same.
beerchug.gif

Good job Doug. You got what he needed and I am sure he will be fine with your Dad. Dont worry so much. I know your fretting about it.
beerchug.gif

I would have also wrapped mine in bubble wrap ALONG with the gear, frankly theyd look like the Michelin man after I got through with them Cap, we can all get stoopid from time to time gear, no gear but the KIDS? Tell the guys at work to f themselves, if they don't think the same theyre idiots, BTW the Org rocks!
bowdown.gif
bowdown.gif

bowdown.gif

Your co-workers are nuts.  Go with your instincts.  Much better safe than sorry.

You played it right Cap. Better to be safe then sorry. Besides that help set a example for everyone else.

Seems to me you bought for him nothing less than what you'd wear yourself, and what you'd strongly recommend for all your friends.

You did fine, Cap.
beerchug.gif

You did the right thing, Doug! You were wearing the gear last year and it saved your life! You have nothing but the best interest in protecting your Son. And with both of them there last year...I'm sure that he sees the value in wearing the proper gear! Goldwing or not, motorcycles are invisible to many drivers; sad but true.

You did good!
beerchug.gif

I do worry more than you can know... About 5 almost 6 years ago my neices were in a car wreck and it changed our entire family outlook. We (our family, my siblings and parents) used to be the most care free group around, when the accident happened and my oldest neice was killed and my youngest neice was severly disabled we were devistated and my natural insticts were to lock Evan up and never let him out of my site. I got bit once and it was a life changing event, I try not to be overly protective but with our history its hard not to. I want the boys to live and explore with wide eyes and at the same time me not go nuts worrying about them every hour of every day.

Any other subject I would have made my mind up and been done with it. I just needed to know that I am not overreacting to what I thought was a need.

CAp

Back