Overkill? Your thoughts

captain

Dis in my way!
Staff member
Administrator
Here are the facts, let me set the stage...

1. My father is taking my oldest son on a motorcycle trip starting Friday.
2. The will be gone for around 14 days.
2. The motorcycle is a Goldwing.
3. My son is 14
4. I wrecked in July of 07 and feel I am very fortunate...

I took my son yesterday to get him some gear for his motorcycle trip. He is going to Arizone and New Mexico and eventually going to raft down the grand canyon. I bought him a full face helmet, Mesh jacket with armor, a new hard back spine instead of the foam, gloves, riding pants with knee armor and jacket zipper and a new pair of ankle riding shoes with steel in the ankles...

Do you think I overdid it for a 10 day trip? I have been catching hell at work over it all. The guys at work were telling me that since he was on a Goldwing he was safer and the odds that something happens to him is slight anyway. I have been going over this all day, I look at it like its my responsibility to keep him safe until he turns 18 and minimize the risk until he can make up his own mind...

If God forbid something did happen to him I think I could live with no regrets because I prepared him as best as possible. I also heard today from a few folks that I shouldnt let him go on the bike at all if he has to have that much gear on.... I want him to live and experience things but be safe at the same time....

Let me have it... your thoughts?

Cap

I think you did fine. You did what you thought was needed and you are his father doing what good fathers do. They look out for their children.

You did the right thing. You and the Mrs. will sleep that much better during those 10 days
thumb_up.gif

How is being on a 'Wing safer? A cage could pull out in front of it just as easily. And as I recall you stated that your gear saved your life.

I think you're just being a good dad with the best interest of his son in mind.
bowdown.gif

As a parent, I say you did not overdo it!! I would feel terrible if something happened to my son and I did not do enough.

thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif
thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

thumb_up.gif

If God forbid something did happen to him I think I could live with no regrets because I prepared him as best as possible. I also heard today from a few folks that I shouldnt let him go on the bike at all if he has to have that much gear on.... I want him to live and experience things but be safe at the same time....
That would be my thoughts exactly. My
2cents.gif
are you made the right choice and are teaching him proper safety at the sametime. I would never be able to live with myself if something happened and I didn't give my son the best gear. I couldn't care less what others say as long as my boy makes it home....But you obviously feel the same way.

You did the right thing.
beerchug.gif
He should have full gear...he will be on a motorcycle.
race.gif
Might be a good idea to have him take it off on the rafting trip.
winkold.gif

There are guys around here that wear more protection than that. You did fine. My little girls are covered when they ride.

Well, most of the time. We go around the block occassionally with the minimum protection on.

Good job Cap glad we still have some smart fathers in the world today no gear or too little gear is a no no i learned that first hand and will never let that be my case or any one riding with me heck i would even go get him a neck brace and a camel pack so he can have something to drink in those hot days of riding
thumb_up.gif
beerchug.gif

Well, their idiots and have never had the misfortune of going down. You dress to crash not to ride is what I keep hearing and that's what goes through my mind when I gear up before a ride. One other suggestion, get him an evaporative cooling vest and he'll thank you for it. I wouldn't ride in Dallas without one, makes summer riding a bit more manageable.

A Goldwing is just as safe as any other bike.

Ya did good gearing him fully and completely. You'd never forgive yourself if he got an injury that could have been prevented by the gear.

Good on ya.

--Wag--

You did the right thing Cap
thumb_up.gif
If you didn't get him the gear
and somehing happened that could have been prevented with
gear those same people would wonder why he wasn't geared up

not unreasonable your "his father" that means you ignore all and do what you think is safest for your son cause thats what makes "you" comfortable, he might be a lil uncomfy for those days but if he wants to go thats the price he'll pay. But you will be teaching him the value of gear at a young age plus it will be stuck in his head that he wears gear when he ride good thing i think

"If God forbid something did happen to him I think I could live with no regrets".

"...live with no regrets." Hmmm...did you buy the protection for your son? Or for you?

My son turned 18 one year ago and we (my wife and I) let him buy a bike (95 Katana) with the stipulation that he pay for everything himself and take the rider safety course. He did. He bought gloves (required for the safety class) and already owned a helmet (we snowmobile). I bought him a jacket with armor. When we ride we pretty much wear the same gear - armor jacket, helmet, gloves, and over-the-ankle work boots. He's a good rider but everytime he goes out I still think about all the things that could happen. Then again, I think about the same stuff everytime I get on the bike. I guess we could both be safer, but if I really want to be safe I would give up riding and sit in a rocking chair until I die (not likely).

If you really want your son to be safe tell him he can't go. Then buy him a rocking chair - with a seat belt and an air bag. That'll teach him to be scared of living and cheat him out of all sorts of fun experiences - like motorcycling, riding in a car, cutting with scissors, drinking hot liquids, eating at Taco Bell, etc.

On the other hand you can let him go and (probably) have the greatest experience of his life (next to having you as a father of course). Just make sure you explain the dangers and how to be safe (includes wearing aforementioned gear). Then trust God and your father (or is that "God your Father?") to take care of your son.

I'm guessing your boy will be in pretty good hands because it sounds like your dad did an OK job raising his son. Right?

By-the-way, your son will probably only use the type of gear you wear. Or only the gear your father wears. Your dad doesn't ride in shorts, sandals, and a ball cap does he?

Back