Over / Under torque?

Fastaco

Registered
Guys: Quick non-critical question that has been bugging me for a while now.
Whenever I install the rear wheel, and try to align the grooves of the lock nut with the hole in the axel for the cotter pin, I have to over torque or under torque. What's the best alternative (other than throwing out the cotter pin, of course)

thats a good question!! But I wouldn't  throw away the cotter pin,
wink.gif
I don't think it would matter which way you went, your're not talking about much to get to the next slot..but I think I torqued mine and went to the next tighter slot..

But if your torqueing it to 72ft lb.Back it off one notch.Do not over torque.I know a guy that builds 8 second busa's and he never torques very tight at all.
This applies to every kind of vehicle.If ya hit torque on wheel bearings on a big rig and it don't line up.You back it off, not tighter.If a vehicle that hauls 80,000 lbs. uses this rule.So will a little busa.Besides,don't want to crush the inner sleeve.

(DaCol. @ Aug. 14 2007,21:34) For me, I back up one notch, I never OVER Torque  
beerchug.gif
+1

Torque is the "clamping" force of a fastener, not the tightening force. Keep in mind that in order to acheive this clamping force, the fastener must be stretched. Under torque and it could loosen prematurily which IMO is why Suzuki put a cotter pin there. Over torque and you may stretch the fastener so far it loses its elasticity and never returns to it's orginal length. Material, Grade, Hardness, Plating, Thread Pitch, Engagement Length, Washers, Lubrication, Hard/Soft Joint, Torque-Turn (Angle), Torque to Yield, Drive type, Patterning, Preload, Residual Load, Spring Rate are all considered when manufacturers put a torque spec on a fastener. Ever change a fastener with a different grade? Ever lubricate a fastener? Put a washer where there wasn't one before? You just changed the torque requirement for that fastener. Why is this important? I'll give you 200 mph reasons why.

Sorry... but I work with QA/Safety issues everyday in industrial applications. If your interested in knowing more or want a powerpoint on the subject. PM me your personal email and I will glasly forward. I'm not sure if you can send any attachments through the org mail.

all_coholic.gif

PercentageTorque.jpg

Back