Cotter pins

NightCrawler

Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
Donating Member
Registered
I've purchased a 43T rear sprocket from a member here and plan on installing it next weekend. My question is this ...

I have seen bikes with no cotter pin in place. Instead they've used a nail, a twig (yes, a thin piece of a tree branch), or thread-lock on the nut. Is it absolutely neccessary to have a cotter pin in place? Obviously the twig dude was a moron but would the other 2 be good enough?

Also, where am I most likely to find cotter pins? Home Depot, Wal-Mart, or an auto parts store?

Thanks.

For those who don't know what a cotter pin is, its the pin going through the brake-side nut holding the rear axle in place.

is a pure safety issue and yes should always have one in place if something stretches or vibrates loose. (virtually any metal pin will suffice but not very professional)

I prefer the hairpin style spring clips (safety pin style) as they just clip off and on with no bending..

I bought some from Home Depot last week .
thumb_up.gif

sure reuse the thing, most prefer to use new ones but the only real reason in most cases is cosmetic.

Once you figure out what size it's called (or just take the old one with you) you can get like 10 of them for a coupla bucks at Home Depot, Lowes, or the auto parts store. Just don't go back to the dealership looking for one, they'll be $10.00 ea. and have to be ordered.
laugh.gif

Good photo of what is needed .

But turn it 180 degrees and let gravity be your friend and put it in from the top to bottom.

I have the same as the pic above. Like it....AIN'T changin' it. Get it in, "any direction" so that the second bump is in the center of the axle. It's goin' nowhere...Lowe's, home depot, just walk down the hardware aisle and look for the little "pull-out" fastener drawers...they're in there......

I just switched from a regular cotter pin to what is shown in the pic. The zip tie is over the top but it works great and I like the look.

Thats why they call Australia "The outBack".. Thats where all the wrecked bikes and Graves are from people not installing the pins! The above pin and Zip tie is a Great idea!
thumb_up.gif

Back