Rear axle reversal---

babuski

Donating Member
Registered
Okay sportsfans....had seabiscuit in for her 11,000 mile checkup and to replace a rear tire (9,000 miles on the Dunlop 208s and the cord finally shows!! further evidence that I do ride like a pussy).

Rode for 200 miles after the checkup. Took her home to wash her up (splatted bugs....dust etc...) and wax her and noticed the rear axle nut (the one with the cotter pin) was on the left side....sprocket side. Usually its on the side with the rear brake caliper....right side. Whats up with that?

Question for the board...especially those mechanical geniuses like Cheese and others....is the rear axle designed so that it can go in either way as long as the rear axle nut is on and torqued properly (with cotter pin)? The manual also has the cotter pin on the right side? Bike ran great today....and at 130+ I noticed no problems. Will this screw up my bearings? Sprockets? Will the darn thing fall off? LIke I said after a dozen or so runs at 130+ today....it purrs like a cat.

HELP!!!

wow.gif
Wierd...

Probably harmless like your thinking, and more than likely just the result of typical Dealer Service....

my tech did the same thing on mine. nut on the left side.
have put about 3000 miles on it and no problems. have done many 170 plus runs.

<!--EDIT|BLU88
Reason for Edit: None given...|1097548964 -->

oil_change_007.jpg

They must be Dyslexic or have been drinking way to much
drinka.gif
It is supposed to be on the rear brake side of the bike. Take it back and have them fix it properly.

I am about to switch mine over just like the dealer did yours......for the simple reason that i just installed my BDE Gen3 and my bike is very low so I'm moving it to make sure it doesn't hit my new pipe.
tounge.gif

Exactly as Sleeper stated above. It won't hurt one thing. I actually switched mine purposefully when I went to the full exhaust as to not accidentally scratch the can when removing the nut. It actually has a few benefits. The first benefit is as I stated earlier. This is convenient only if you have a full 4 into 1 exhaust. Secondly, if you are ever in a position to have to replace the rear wheel by yourself, it is easier to hang the rear brake because you actually hang it as the axle goes through the swingarm and wheel rather than having to stab it and (as we say...) "finding the hole"...
biggrin.gif
Just be sure that the cotter pin is in there. Other than that, you'll be fine.

Brian

I purchased a license plate relocater and it was a must to change the axle nut to the left side. No problems hear.

spoolsrelc.jpg

We do it to keep it from hitting low ehaust pipes and it does not hurt anything. It makes it easier to get to if you put on a 4-2-1 exhaust.

Here is a pic of nicks bike. it is on the left side also.
called my tech and he said the same thing... kills the chance of your 4-1 exhaust ever hitting.
smile.gif

NICKSLICKBIKE.jpg

The axle is designed to work either direction. All the axle does is give the wheel bearings a surface for the race to fit snugly onto. The axle is the same size on both both bearings. The axle nut simply preloads the bearings when properly torqued. It doesn't matter which side you torque it from. I just changed my GSXR 1000 from right to left so it is easier to access. Works fine either way!

Back