Options for Tires for the Busa...

Cecil_Stringer

Donating Member
Registered
Been hitting the twisties pretty often...
Time to upgrade the tires...
I weigh 190 lbs dry... 200 with gear.

What are some viable options for tires...
Not as interested in longevity of the tire... looking for traction.

Thanks in advance.

I'm really diggin the Pirelli Diablo's myself~ Excellent on traction, but depending on
the agresivness of your riding you will go through them pretty quickly~ I've got a
little over 3k on mine now~ Still got plenty of grip and tread don't look too bad~ I
may start looking for another set after this weekends trip to Daytona and back
though!
biggrin.gif

<!--EDIT|GJoker
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098138360 -->

The Busa usually goes out for fun rides... primarily including twistie runs.

Hearing good things about Diablo & M1...

Thanks for the input.

Diablo's/ M-1 same same, Same rubber, same factory, different tread pattern, though in hindsight I would probably go with the Diablo's because I get a lot of noise from my M-1's. Unless the Diablo's are alot more expensive. If the Pilot Power's had been in stock, I would have gotten them. You figure the Diablo/M-1's are what 3-4 year old technology almost? The 014's and the Pilot Power's are fresh designs, using the most modern construction and materials, both designed for heavy, High power bikes. My next set of tires will probably be the Pilot Powers, we'll see. I like the M-1's though so maybe not but I cannot stick with one tire and say it's the best until I have tried the other newer stuff.

BUT, Cecil...Bro...  You put anything soft back there with all of them wheelies and your going to burn through a rear every 2000 miles or so easy, (Guessing)...  So, I dunno if there is a tire rated for what you have been doing to em'.  
laugh.gif
Might want to stick with something from Bridgestone like the 014, 010...  At least they are a fair bit cheaper than than the Metzler/Pirelli option.  Oh and maybe buy a second rear wheel off of E-bay and have a fresh rear ready to go for ya?  That way you can get your tires changed at your conveniance without downtime.  I've been meaning to do this for awhile...  

Though you really might want to give the Knobbie's some more consideration...
wow.gif

laugh.gif

<!--EDIT|Revlis
Reason for Edit: None given...|1098188283 -->

laugh.gif

Rev's right on the M1's being noisy, busa sounds like it's turbo'ed now....not a bad noise but kind of like it's ready to take off or something. Love the way they look, better then the diablo's I had last time, imo....went on a long ride Friday and I concur with the M1's being the same grippy tire as the diablos, no real detectible diff...

duh, just figured it out...when I went to the Metzler site to ask about the "p" rated tire it asked me for my pirelli log in and password which I got from signing up for the stupid free front tire deal a year ago. Now I get why the M1 feels like the diablo...
all_coholic.gif

Get Pirelli Diablo because Italian names just look cooler.

EOM - okay to me since I wasn't RAILING it for the first 2500 miles
208 - slip sliding away, hated them
Diablos - great turning, excellent stick even in winter time
Diablos - yet again, cuz I loved the first one
Pilot Sport HPX - pricey, old technology, doesn't warm as fast as Diablos but great above 170

I'll either go back to Diablo or try the M Powers next. Someone tell me how quickly the Powers heat up in cool weather?

Cecil, at least have a look at the Bridgestone BTO14. I am on my third set. These are by far the best street tires I have ever been on. You can't find a more sticky street tire for sever lean angles and a harder center for good mileage. I get about 5K miles on them before replacement and I do more wheelies than anyone in the neighborhood. I could probably get another thousand miles on them but prefer new ones prior to a smooth casing. The newest technology for street tires are made with dual compound. Many of the high performance bikes now come from the factory with either the 14's or the Dunlop 218, which is also a dual compound. Before I bought my first set of 14's I called Bridgestone and talk to one of their tech's and was told the outside edges of this tire had almost the same compound as the GP tires. I just love these things. I can lean her over until the pegs touch the pavement with no signs of slipage. Just have a look, you may be impressed. However, if you don't lean her over to the bitter edge, you may be better off with a touring tire that will give you longivity?

You are running in FL. I would stay away from Diablos. I ran them when I come down in the winter. Nt really made for FL. straight roads. Eats the middle vry fast. Down by you go with soething that is a little strongr in the middle BT 10's 12's not the 14's.

bt o14 good sticky tire with good wear, i will be replacing mine with another set . good luck
biggrin.gif

smile.gif
Hell no harm no foul and far as I could tell it didn't even rattle you a little... Devil Dog man, through and through...

Barney's of St. Pete

Tire: Bridgestone BT014
Cost: $135
Labor: $35

Sound decent???

Or should I go elsewhere?

They are also very convienent for me... that;s worth a few bucks ;)

Metzeler Sportech M-1s from parts411.com for about 205 a pair.

Nice and sticky for the $$.

Back