Tire Selection for Street and Track

quipuah

Registered
Hey Guys,

I am looking in replacing my rear tire from the stock 190/50 to a 180/55.
I heard that the 180/55 weighs less, so it accelerates faster. It's slightly taller, for a higher top speed. It has less gyroscopic effect on the bike, so it takes less effort to get the bike to change lines (ie, flipping the bike from side to side for an S-turn).

Also heard that it biggest single advantage of the 180/55 tire over the 190/50 is that it lays down way more rubber when banked over, offering way more traction on corner exits.

I do alot of riding in the Hill country with alot of twisties, and I do an occasional track day.

I would like to get your opinions if is is a suitable tire for both street and track.

Thanks guys!

Just go to a 190/55. Several tires come in that size now including PP 2ct, Pirellis, Qualifiers etc...

You will like it!!!

A 180/55 of the same brand does weigh less which means more accel and less rotating mass(easier to lean back and forth).  It is also cheaper.

But 190/55 is even better.  The 55 profile makes a larger footprint on the side of a tire while the 50 profile makes a larger footprint in the center of the tire.  And a 190/55 makes a larger footprint everywhere than a 180/55. Who doesn't want more grip.

A 190/55 does weigh more than a 180/55.  But 180/55 are generally designed for 5.5" rims and when installed on the Busa's 6" rim the profile isn't as tall as if it had put installed on a 5.5" rim.  The 190/55 are generally designed for 6" rims, so they end up having a taller profile than the 180/55.  This offsets the extra rotating mass affecting handling.  And the Busa has tons of accel, I doubt you'll miss the extra accel when using a 190/55.

Thanks Charles for clarifying that I will get the 190/55. Any suggestions to what brand to get?

once I went 180, I've never looked back. only difference I feel is they are not "as planted" feeling above 160mph as the 190, but it's not really as issue, just something I can notice. 180 steers quicker to me. I do everything on my bike: cruise, streets, twistie, trackdays, touring, drag, passengers, high speed runs, and prefer the 180

I'm using the BT002RS.  They're a hybrid between street and track tires.  But they probably won't last as long as the PP2cts or the Conti Sport Attacks and they have fewer grooves than those 2 also.  Good for dry pavement use, but not in the wet.

The PP2cts and Conti Sport Attacks are hybrids between street and track tires, but a little more orientated for street than track.  They should last longer than BT002RS, and definately do better in the wet.  They have more grooves.

As for top speed, a taller tire will give you a higher top speed.  But like the accel from less weight, will you even notice it?  I don't know the formula, but it can't be much....

Got that tidbit from BA BUSA
tounge.gif
cool.gif

I believe Pirelli Diablo Clorsa III is street as well as track. My next rubbers
smile.gif

"Confidence on normal roads and top performance on racetrack"

I actually found tire weights on a website, the difference between 180 and 190 was something like 4-5 OUNCES.

I don't think that is enough to be able to tell ANY difference.

Pirelly guy at track says Pirelli 180 not recommended for busa wheel width. Says profile flattens. Says stay with 190.

(Caveman-6 @ Aug. 07 2007,17:31) Pirelly guy at track says Pirelli 180 not recommended for busa wheel width. Says profile flattens. Says stay with 190.
I've run the 180/55 many times and I like it better than 190/50 for twisties.

Stock is 190/50, the flatest.

180/55 is not as flat.

190/55 isn't flat at all.

The pic below is an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

qp.jpg

(xcrypto @ Aug. 07 2007,19:38) Has anyone tried the Michelin Pilot Sport HPX?
Good tire for a heavy high speed bike...high speed stability
wink.gif

For twisties, price, and all around performance...not a very good choice
sad.gif

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 07 2007,16:53)
wink.gif

sad.gif
Just curious why it is never mentioned. I will replace my OEM BT56 with Diablo Corsa III

(BA BUSA @ Aug. 07 2007,16:53)
wink.gif

sad.gif
Just curious why it is never mentioned. I will replace my OEM BT56 with Diablo Corsa III

I do a bunch of interstate travel and was going to go with the pilot powers, but are there different kinds? Do i need the dual compound, or are they all the DC? I was under the impression that a pilot power was just that.

(mopar250 @ Aug. 07 2007,22:34) I do a bunch of interstate travel and was going to go with the pilot powers, but are there different kinds? Do i need the dual compound, or are they all the DC? I was under the impression that a pilot power was just that.
They make...

Pilot Power...standard tire
Pilot Power 2CT...dual compound, more performance
Pilot Power Race...dual compound, DOT Race Tire

Michelin Website

(xcrypto @ Aug. 07 2007,22:23) Just curious why it is never mentioned.
I didn't mention it because it doesn't come in a 190/55 and its not a supersport/trackday type of tire.

The topic starter was specifically looking for a supersport/trackday tire and was curious about the 55 profile.
wink.gif

The HPX is a version of the Pilot Sport. The Pilot Sport doesn't provide the performance of the Pilot Power in the twisties. The HPX version is designed specifically for high-speed, highpowered bikes like the CBR1100XX, ZX12R and Hayabusa, where it excels in stability and mileage.

Link to HPX info

Back