Can you run a 180/55 tire on a bike that runs a 190/50 factory?

Tiller

Registered
I just bought a new streetbike so that I can track my gixxer. The bike from the factory states a 190/50 tires was the size from the factory and recommended size. The set of tires that are on it are toast but the rear is a 180/55. The guy I bought the bike from gave a brand new set of Pilot Power 2ct's with it and the rear is a 180/55

So my question is... Is there a safety issue or any problems associated with running a 180/55 on a rear rim that comes factory with a 190/50?

I am asking because I would hate to waste a brand new rear tire.

Thanks

Should be fine.

Soooo where's the pics? :poke:

Haven't bee able to get any good pics yet with all the rain and freezing weather. But here is a quick pic of the new stable in the garage

IMAG0109.jpg

imagejpeg_5.jpg

imagejpeg_6.jpg

When did I join cbr.org :dunno:

Nice scoot Sir!:thumbsup:

sent from my dunce stool via Tapatalk

I'm assuming you have a six inch rim on that puppy?

A 180 works just fine, especially for street use. You give up a little lateral grip but you'll never notice it on the street.

Good find you have there buster! Are you going to allow TwoBrothers to ride it? :dunno:

I'm assuming you have a six inch rim on that puppy?

A 180 works just fine, especially for street use. You give up a little lateral grip but you'll never notice it on the street.

Good find you have there buster! Are you going to allow TwoBrothers to ride it? :dunno:

Yes I am assuming it is a 6" rim solely because it came from the factory with a 190/50 on it. I just figured I could burn through a 180/55 on the street if it would hurt anything so I didn thave to spend the money on a new rear tire right now.

And i'll probably let Charlie ride it but only if he is good :poke:

Back