Opinions on Oil

Stealth08

Registered
Hey, I just realized that I need to concentrate a little more when I go shopping because I bought oil for my 08 Hayabusa and I realized it was a different weight than my last oil change. I am using amsoil synthetic and I used stock weight 10W40 last time and this time I accidentally bought 10W30. Is this worth worrying about or should I just use it? I live in minnesota in case a cold climate would make a difference but just looking for your opinions on this as I am thinking of switching to 0W50 like a friend of mine did but do you think any of these three weights are the way to go or just stick to stock? I am just checking before I change it soon, Thanks for any input.

my 2 cents: follow ranges specified in the owner's manual. FWIW, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40 for me. just realized that there hasn't been an oil thread in ages.....wow!

Last edited:
my 2 cents: follow ranges specified in the owner's manual. FWIW, Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40 for me. just realized that there hasn't been an oil thread in ages.....wow!

Yep it's been a while, but here we go... Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w40 is all I've ever used in my Busas. I wouldn't stray from the recommended oil type.

I've used both Mobile 1 and Amsoil. About to put Amsoil in both bikes but may go back to mobile one as it's more readily available (and cheaper!)

the 30 will be a little thinner so that is good if it's getting cold.

the whole point of oil weights is to achieve the perfect oil pressure. you won't make a big difference with the 30 from 40.

ideally you would only use the recommended type, but if you want to save money you can use the 30 and I'm positive you will be fine.

Mobil 1 4T, only way to go.:thumbsup: Especially if you have an Orange Busa, the fastest.:thumbsup:

I use Mobil1 15w50 all the time. Never had a problem in 6 years.

Hey, I just realized that I need to concentrate a little more when I go shopping because I bought oil for my 08 Hayabusa and I realized it was a different weight than my last oil change. I am using amsoil synthetic and I used stock weight 10W40 last time and this time I accidentally bought 10W30. Is this worth worrying about or should I just use it? I live in minnesota in case a cold climate would make a difference but just looking for your opinions on this

On topic - If your saying you bought the motorcycle Amsoil 10w-30, your good to go over winter under 86F then switch back to 10w-40 next season. These engines won't drain all of the oil out so i personally don't switch around on oil brands with the differing formulas out there.

Automotive E/C 10w-30's of the mineral oil type can easily be crushed to a 20wt by the mighty Busa - those mere mortals :thumbsup:

for the winter time the 10w30 will be fine. Switching to a 0W-50 probably wont be needed unless you're constantly taking very short rides with no warm up in below freezing temps. If you let your oil temp warm to a good level before you go out ridding then it really doesn't matter what w (winter) grade you use.

Thanks for all the opinions. I think I will just use this oil considering most, 90 percent, of my riding is in less than 86 degree heat. This is only due to the cooler climate up here in Minnesota. It is hot in the summer but I have plenty of time to change back to 10w40 in the late spring. Also, why do I keep seeing people using 0W oil from brock's? Is this only for short drag racing stints and then back to normal oil or what? Just wondering.

10W30 will be just fine, provided you don't go to a race track where you will load the motor fully for long periods, pushing oil temperatures above 220F.

0W50 is not a good idea as it will shear down to a 0W20 within 700 miles.
Posted via Mobile Device

I personally use Rotella T 15w40 in all my bikes for years. I know to each is own when it comes to oil, but don't get too wrapped up with the hype and claims of the oil manufacturers. Pay attention on the last two digits of the oil weight i.e 30,40,50. The first two digits signifies when the oil is cold, ultimately the final weight is the last two.

I personally use Rotella T 15w40 in all my bikes for years. I know to each is own when it comes to oil, but don't get too wrapped up with the hype and claims of the oil manufacturers. Pay attention on the last two digits of the oil weight i.e 30,40,50. The first two digits signifies when the oil is cold, ultimately the final weight is the last two.

+1 on the rotella.
Used it on
yamaha 660 quad
GS500
S-40

AND la busa

Available at your local Walmart..

Sent from my HERO200 using Tapatalk

Back