One week down....

GJoker

Still got love for ya's...
Donating Member
Registered
Well, it's been a whole week now since I've had any nicotine in my system!  
biggrin.gif

Yes, that was my New Years resolution and I haven't even taken one hit, drag, toke, or anything since....... and I did it 'Cold Turkey'! The only way to beat this demon down!!
I have smoked cigs since I was 141/2-15 years old~ I did quit once before about 4 years ago~ Did fine for 2 years and then started smoking again when I changed jobs~ I know it's no excuse, but the stress and nervousness of being on a new job and around new people got the best of me~ Those that know me well, know I am SAD.. that is, I have Social Anxiety Disorder~ I don't do well around strangers or in large groups of people~ Nicotine was my crutch that helps me though most of these times~ So it's tough, but it can be done!
Can't be done with patches, nicorette gum, or any of those other money making devices~ It's purely mind over matter... for me anyhow~ Once you commit to it in your head, you've got it beat! Then you just gotta get past the habits~ Like lighting up every time I finished a meal, every time I started out on a drive, just before bed time, and such~  It can't be done by family and/or friends pushing you either~ If you really want to quit, you will~
In fact... Brenda (TKM) and I was both supposed to quit last year~ I knew I had to, but didn't really want to, so I didn't even attempt it~ Congrats, on the other hand, to Brenda who has made it a whole year now! Cold Turkey style too~ This year I just started setting my mind to it back in October and smoked my last one on the way home from picking Brenda up from the airport last Saturday..... and haven't touch one since!  
vuur1.gif

Good for you! keep it going.  I haven't touched one for about 5 years and don't regret it a bit.  

The way I look at it now... put simply, its smoke.  If a car or bonfire belched out a load of smoke you'd get out of the way of it to avoid breathing it in.  All cigs are is smoke, not meant to be in your body.  yeuchh.

<!--EDIT|kod3001
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136655286 -->

I also have been off em for about 5 years,Good decision on your part to quit,get into a fitness lifestyle and take it one day at a time youll feel great.You are correct,once you commit you got em beat be stubbron and dont give in,Good luck

Congrats. I quit for 2 years also and then started again. My biggest regret in life. Now I'm going to try and quit again.

Congrats! I quit about 1 1/2 years ago myself after smoking for....i think it was about 17 years...i tried several times over the years...cold turkey, patches, gum...never worked. I got all these things through the military so i didnt have to pay for them. ( thank goodness! ) But year and half ago i decided this was it...i'm quiting! I went back to the doctor and told them to sign me up for the smoking sensation class again... this time one of the options was to take a pill called Zyban.. ( i think thats how you spell it ) anyway...you give yourself a date to quit in the first 2 weeks of taking zyban and of course i did it at the last possible time...the 14th day and then you just stop smoking...took the zyban for about month and half and doctors said it should be long enough...stopped taking the pills and still not smoking today...no nic fits...no withdrawls nothing!! The hardest part was the habit itself of acutally smoking...you know...get in the car *habit* Light up!...after eating *habit* light up...occupy yourself when you get the urge and keep yourself busy! I started to feel better within a month but shortly after that i found out i had heart problems so it was a good thing that i quit! Hope it works out for you!! Good luck!
thumbs-up.gif

I have my Zyban now,will start taking them tomorrow,wish me luck!
smile.gif
Oh, and cograts Gjoker,stay strong Man! NJ.

<!--EDIT|nitrousjunkie
Reason for Edit: None given...|1136658991 -->

Congrats to those that have quit and those that are trying!

I quit 2 1/2 years ago. Smoked 1 - 2 packs a day for 19 years. Cold turkey was the method of choice for me as well. Making the decision is the hardest part.

Zyban is great. However I started again a year later. Now I don't smoke by reminding myself that I need to be the Dad that my son thinks I am.

I smoke for 25 years since I was 15.... I just can`t quit, I have no will power..
sad.gif

The problem is that makes me feel good not bad. My father smoke for 47 years and quit in one day. he didn`t smoke for 30 more years and died at 77.

My grand dad smokes all his life and died at 96.

I smoke about 7-10 a day, not a lot.... It helps me concentrate...
smile.gif

I want to quit, I just can`t...

I smoke for 25 years since I was 15.... I just can`t quit, I have no will power..  
sad.gif

The problem is that makes me feel good not bad. My father smoke for 47 years and quit in one day.  he didn`t smoke for 30 more years and died at 77.

My grand dad smokes all his life and died at 96.

I smoke about 7-10 a day, not a lot.... It helps me concentrate...
smile.gif

I want to quit, I just can`t...
boy never expected to here this from you ! some realy good reasons you have there though

congrats , and i am sure brenda apreciates it the most must have been a hard year for her with you still smokin . but think of all the money you will be savin $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ tobaco is expensive !!!!!!!!!!

The hardest part was the habit itself of acutally smoking...you know...get in the car *habit* Light up!...after eating *habit* light up...occupy yourself when you get the urge and keep yourself busy!  
so true. I actually quit drinking for a while. You know, crack a beer,light a smoke.

They are 9 bucks a pack here.

I got better things to do with 9 bucks.

Like buy more beer. I started drinking after I felt it was safe. Couple months I think.
40__s.gif

This July will be 30 years smokeless for me. Quit the same way....cold turkey. Woke up one cold January morning, one of those 20 below with windchill days. Started walkin to the local convenience store 2 blocks away cuz I was out of smokes. Got halfway there and thought to myself ....this is rediculous, freezin my butt off for a pack of smokes. Turned around and went home. First week was the hardest.....so don't give up.

Iquit for a year then hurricane Ivan came through and I couldn't get a hold of my wife for 3 days. I was in Texas at the time and she was stuck in the thick of it in pensacola. T started smoking again in those three days. I am now 1 week 2 days on the wagon again so I feal your pain. There aint a stick of gum safe anywhere near me. Congrats man and good luck

http://www.whyquit.com/

Above is a site that helped me out alot I had been smoking for 20 years. And I still miss them but then I think that I was almost smoking a bike payment evey month and I still do not have a busa so what a waste. Plus quitting was one of the agreements I made with myself that I had to fullfill prior to getting the Busa. Either smoke and no bike, or quit smoking and get a bike. Anyway they have the color I want at Deep Creek so I am hoping in Feb to Have the new bike.

One month, one week, four days, 14 hours, 45 minutes and 45 seconds. 1248 cigarettes not smoked, saving $249.69. Life saved: 4 days, 8 hours, 0 minutes.

Back