OMG what a great Track Day 8-28-09

Tufbusa

Track Coach / TufPoodle Coach
Registered
I got my arse out of bed at 5:00 AM, hit the shower (Which I do once a week whether I need to or not) loaded my bike and gear in my truck, almost forgot my generator (It's hell getting old and forgetful) and was out the door and on the road at 7:00. Stopped for bike gas and diesel for the truck and I'm trackward bound some 60 miles away.

I made my usual trip to Starbucks a couple miles shy of the track and picked up lattes for all the crew (Some thirty bucks, they love me at Starbucks) I arrived at the track at 8:15, the riders meeting was underway and as usual mario was standing on the tailgate of his truck with some 45-50 riders all standing around with that glazed look in their eye like that were looking at a statue of Barack Obama. Mario is a huge man who was once a competitive body builder and now pushes 300 pounds. Not a man to wrestle with :whistle:

When I arrive I am the most popular man at the track until all the coffee is passed out, then I'm just another guy.

I always sit out the first session. I'm always happy to let the other guys warm up the track and dry off any morning moisture left by mother nature. GregBob is pitted across the way from us, he thinks we all have B.O. so he puts some distance between pits. So I get my bike ready, check air pressure 28 front and 24 rear, put the warmers on while listening to the reving of inline fours and the odd twin out on the track. The second session is about ready to head out and I'm still not suited up. In a frantic I slither into my padded shorts, body armor under suit and slip into my leathers, adding my back and chest protector. I dig in my gear bag for ear plugs, quickly give them a lick, shove them in all while chewing on my mouth piece. I hit the track with only about ten minutes left in the session. I got in two good laps after a warm up lap then a cool down lap. Not much, but I could tell it was going to be a good day. Grip was better than usual, weather was warm but no hot and all the regulars were present. Fodder for a memorable day!

Since Mario was kind enough to give me a control rider sticker, I get to go out whenever I want in any group I want so I get all the riding I can take. The next two sessions before lunch I went out and had some play time with GregBob and a couple other friends. Greg is such a great guy, good rider and fun to be on the track with. We played follow the leader back and forth and just had fun. In the early afternoon, I was playing with GregBob when the photographer showed up in turn nine which is a great sort of tight sweeper. I thought "GREAT" we can get some good photos here. So next lap I tucked up right against the right side of Greg's rear tire and followed him through the turn. Looked at the photographer and he was standing with his camera at his side looking back at the pits. Damn, missed it! Next lap, did the same except I was getting brave and move even closer to Greg. Same thing, he was snapping pictures to his right at the bus stop. Damn, missed it again. Third lap, well three is a charm. No go, Bones was BSing some guy with his camera hanging at his side. Okay, we have one more lap to go. This time I was becoming so brave we were tight. I mean so tight we were about to rub plastics and Son-of-a-biotch, Bones was changing positions and no photo. Just wasn't meant to be. I felt Betrayed, Let Down like my dog had abandoned me :snap:

After that session and utter disappointment, I hooked up with my Son Troy #442 and Colin #35. Both of these guys can spank my arse at will, just so you know! These guys were doing a test and tune for this weekend's races. We spent the next two session just having a blast. They checked up a tad so I could hang with them and it was more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I got bumped and pushed, passed on the inside, outside, flipped off, Colen actually tried to reach inside my arm and hit my kill button in turn 9, Bastid :argue:

I did get even with him later. He came on the inside in turn four and beat me to the corner on the brakes. I stepped out, squared the corner and usually I'd attempt to pass on the inside knowing he would go wide. He knew that as well so he slowed slightly and came hard back to the inside to cockblock me. I sucker punched his arse and went to the outside and shot by him like a streak of sh!t. I had a case of the giggles I that took me two laps to get over. However, I knew Colin wasn't going to let me get away with that. He had been embrassed by the old dude and Troy was behind us both watching the entire time. I kept watching for a wheel in every corner for almost a full lap but Colin too was laughing his arse off and waited almost a full lap before showing me he was indeed a superior rider. We got back to the pit and all three was laughing uncontrolably. One of our other friends on a duc got into the mix for a bit and he too got the giggles. What a great time! :thumbsup:

The track is usually done at 4:00 but Mario got permission to run until 5:00. What a great track provider "Adrenaline Freaks" just in case any of you decide to join us. At the end of the last session, I rode my bike into the pit face first behind my pickup so it was ready to load, shut the key off and I was spent. Totally Done! I could not have done another lap if my life depended on it.

I can't remember having this much fun at the track in a very long time. Everything went perfectly. Only one crash all day and I didn't know the guy that crashed. Is life wonderful or what? I say it is! :beerchug:

I say to those of you who have never attended a track function "JUST DO It"! It's a place where you will make many friends and you'll be talking about your experiences when you are old and feable. Yes, you too will get old and the older you get the faster you were! :cheerleader:

:poke: you dont need to hit someones kill switch if they have a teather just reach in a pull the teather out:laugh:

I am not sure said event actually happened without photo evidence.:laugh:
Don't forget your camera next time.:whistle:

I got my arse out of bed at 5:00 AM, hit the shower (Which I do once a week whether I need to or not) loaded my bike and gear in my truck, almost forgot my generator (It's hell getting old and forgetful) and was out the door and on the road at 7:00. Stopped for bike gas and diesel for the truck and I'm trackward bound some 60 miles away.
/quote]

That must be nice. We have to be on the road at 4:00AM to make the 240 mile drive to the nearest race track. Ya' have to really want it here in the mid-west.:laugh:
Great story though, glad you all had a good/safe time.:thumbsup:

Oh Tom, I feel for you! We also do track days and races in Spokane every now and then. It's 325 miles and it turns into an adventure. Make the trip the day before, hotel rooms, it's a pain in the bum but well worth the time.

I don't know about you but I've spent piles of money on Motorcycles and the rest I wasted. :thumbsup:

Sounds like an awesome time........that is what keeps you going back for more......:thumbsup:

Great story!
Thanks! :thumbsup:

Now.... You lick your earplugs? ???

:poke:

What's up Mikey? Are you alergic to a little ear wax? :laugh:

Don't everyone lick their ear plugs so they slip all the way into their ear?
It's my lick and my ear wax! :rofl:

Anyway, a little ear wax will make your sticker peck out! :whistle:

You need to get your bum out to a track day before the snow flies up there! Your busa will love you forever! :cheerleader:

What's up Mikey? Are you alergic to a little ear wax? :laugh:

Don't everyone lick their ear plugs so they slip all the way into their ear?
It's my lick and my ear wax! :rofl:

Anyway, a little ear wax will make your sticker peck out! :whistle:

You need to get your bum out to a track day before the snow flies up there! Your busa will love you forever! :cheerleader:

I want to get out sometime for sure. :thumbsup:

I was just trying to picture that mixture of Starbucks, ear wax and mouth guard....Just saying...it may not be BO that GregBob was avoiding. :poke:

Back