Old Caprice cruiser

LeeFL2

Registered
I was on I95 in Fort Lauderdale today and was chugging along at 90 mph, when a flat black, old Caprice Classic, with a spotlight on the driver door, passed me at about 120mph. Well, we sort of played cat and mouse for a while and I guess he didn't want me to catch him. When I got on his tail, he was at 150mph!
SHOCKED.gif
WTF?
rock.gif
? Never thought that a POS like that could go that fast! I passed him but it was not easy! He was haulling ass.

We got cought up in traffic and I weaved away in a bewildered state... I can understand a Mustang Cobra or a Viper, or even a Vette, but a 1989 Caprice!

He had no shocks either, was bouncing all over the place!

The 1995 LT1 police caprices without light bars would run right at 150.

that car had work done to it.
they didnt have good engines then

however there was a police pkg w/ a 454H.O.
that was capable of 152mph
but not many around

I had a 4 door Caprice classic in 1982. At the time I was a manufacturers rep for several high performance aftermarket companies, one of which was Martin turbchargers. I put a turbo kit on the caprice which had a 2:42 axel ratio. There were lots of performance cars on the highway that I'm sure wondered WTF.
biggrin.gif

(LeeFL2 @ Jul. 11 2007,20:53) I was on I95 in Fort Lauderdale today and was chugging along at 90 mph, when a flat black, old Caprice Classic, with a spotlight on the driver door, passed me at about 120mph. Well, we sort of played cat and mouse for a while and I guess he didn't want me to catch him. When I got on his tail, he was at 150mph!  
SHOCKED.gif
 WTF?
rock.gif
? Never thought that a POS like that could go that fast! I passed him but it was not easy! He was haulling ass.

We got cought up in traffic and I weaved away in a bewildered state... I can understand a Mustang Cobra or a Viper, or even a Vette, but a 1989 Caprice!

He had no shocks either, was bouncing all over the place!
I'd have swallowed my handlebars!
SHOCKED.gif
laugh.gif

SHOCKED.gif

coming from a engine builder,it don't take much to make caprice or impala run 150.with just a little ol 350

(proud dad @ Jul. 12 2007,16:49) coming from a engine builder,it don't take much to make caprice or impala run 150.with just a little ol 350

Dude, the only thing this car had going was it's engine.  He was bouncing all over the freeway from bad shocks!

After I managed to pass, I was in awe! I thought he was doing 120 or so until I looked at the spedo and saw 150 and no gain...

On the other hand, it is so dangerous to race on the freeway! LOL

well if it had a lt1 in it 350 thats the same engine in the 92 to 97 camaro and im not sure on the year on the vettes up until 96 but i've heard its pretty easy to swap the auto for the 6 speed

Back