Okay Folks...I have a question about "Oil Filters"

JINKSTER

I Love my Wife!
Donating Member
Registered
besides zuk o.e.m. & K&N has anyone cross ref'ed a good quality off the shelf filter at one of the 24/7 type auto stores?...and i'm definantly not talking FRAM here...more like...and in my fav order....

1. Bosch

2. Mobil1

3. STP

cause i'd really like to change my oil today but am lacking a filter and for many moons wanted to find a satisfactory substitute for the pain in the azz to get $12.95 oem oil filters....anybody gotz sum cross-refr numbers for any of these three?

T.I.A. and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(Burger King @ Feb. 25 2007,03:15) Motorcycle filter cross reference

Motorcycle filter comparison
Thanks BK...great info links there...but unfortunately?...

"These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve.

None are recommended. Available filters include:
AMSOil SMF 109
Bike Master 314-0025
Champion PH7016
Cycle Power 314-1919
Emgo 10-55662
Emgo 10-55660
Fram PH6018
Hi-Flo HF138
J.C.Whitney ZX063166P
K&N 138
NAPA 1359 / WIX 51359
Parts Unlimited
Per-Form J-509
ProPart 01-0029
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07
VESRAH vsf-3009

"none of these are recomended"?...not even the "Suzuki 16510-03G00-X07....wtf?
rock.gif

I was a very active proponent back when the "Fram Oil Filter Debacle" was a hot & heavy internet issue...and i even cut several brand new oil filters apart to have a looksee at the internals..and the frams were indeed the most pathetic POS filter construction i ever witnessed...as in "Horrific Build Quality"...but i know that the Bosch (who makes the filters for Mobil1 to put their name and elevated price tags on)...and Supertech (wallyworlds oil filters made by champion)..and the STP oil filters are all of real good quality...and even Purolator...all have real good seals and build...the big difs come in in "what sort of filter media" and "how much" of it they use...I change my oil and filter every 2K-3K miles...religously...and pending how hard i've run my bike during the inbetween time?...i can actually hear when the oil is beginning to break down...shear polymers get crushed and the top end chatter at cold start up gets a little more noisier...my trained machinist ears i guess.
laugh.gif

anyways...it's still been a great help and thank you very much...looks like i'll be picking up some STP SMO-18's or Purolator ML16818's..but i'd prefer the STP if they have'em..i gotta get O-Ren Ishii a fresh drink before i run'er hard at the outlaw drags in deland at daytonas bike week.
biggrin.gif

Thanks again and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

I use only the Purolater ML16818 for my Suzuki's and not because it costs only 6 bucks .

Burst strength of the can , flow and quality of construction factors in and it uses cellulose filtering media . Lastly , it uses a nitrile rubber anti-drainback valve thats impervious to the engine oil I use that's formulated with high ester content .

Suzuki filter uses a plain silicone anti-drain back valve and paper filtering media unless somethings changed recently .

ProFlo Filter makes a decent Zuki filter as well .

(mountainmotor @ Feb. 25 2007,09:53) I use only the Purolater ML16818 for my Suzuki's and not because it costs only 6 bucks .

Burst strength of the can , flow and quality of construction factors in and it uses cellulose filtering media . Lastly , it uses a nitrile rubber anti-drainback valve thats impervious to the engine oil I use that's formulated with high ester content .

Suzuki filter uses a plain silicone anti-drain back valve and paper filtering media unless somethings changed recently .

Where do you purchase the Purolator??

PepBoys .

Best filter I ever used . They have to flow at hi-rpm plus filter... a balancing act of sorts and with our hydraulic tensioned cam chains , the last thing I want is the drain back valve failing .

Thread: 20mm x 1.0
Burst: 310 psi
Center Tube collapse: 240 psi
Micron Rating: 20
Single Pass Efficiency: 93.6%
Relief Valve opening pressure: 9-11 psi
Anti Drainback valve material: nitrile rubber
Media material: cellulose

I use the Purolator ML16818 too. Available at PEP Boys here in NC in the auto oil filter section. Never had problems with it or the Perform J-509, which is also on the do not use list cited earlier.

cool.gif

(mountainmotor @ Feb. 25 2007,10:29) PepBoys .

Best filter I ever used . They have to flow at hi-rpm plus filter... a  balancing act of sorts and with our hydraulic tensioned cam chains , the last thing I want is the drain back valve failing .

Thread: 20mm x 1.0
Burst: 310 psi
Center Tube collapse: 240 psi
Micron Rating: 20
Single Pass Efficiency: 93.6%
Relief Valve opening pressure: 9-11 psi
Anti Drainback valve material: nitrile rubber
Media material: cellulose
Do you have these numbers for the Suzuki filter? to compare?

And also - rats! No PEP boys local to me!

(mountainmotor @ Feb. 25 2007,03:53) I use only the Purolater ML16818 for my Suzuki's and not because it costs only 6 bucks .

Thanks MM and drumminman...good to know you've been using the purolators with no ill affects...i like the cannister "BURST" numbers too...cause i freaking hate it when a filters housing is paper thin and rounds out underv the cap wrench during removal...that sux....sounds like the purolators got the goods...STP puts out some pretty stout cans as well..maybe i'll buy a couple of both...and take one of each to cut and compare...would be interesting...unless of course i can just find the media/seal/burst specs on the STP on the net.

Thanks again and L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

If I don't have the Zuk filter I usually pick up a NAPA (Wix) Gold filter since they carry one to fit my bike in stock and they are local. I haven't had any problems with them but I guess I'll try to pick up the Purolator next time I'm in Sav.

I just tried to take a pic of the core design . It did not pick up what I wanted to show .

The inner core does not use the plain jane round flow holes . It uses fluted openings and is designed to spin the oil through , much like new , state of the art racing filters use .

It also uses a bypass spring that runs from one end to the other unlike the types that use a piece of spring steel metal on the spin cap section .

Out of 4 different Busa's , all using this filter along with Maxima 15w-50 synthetic in each " some at 1 year intervals " ... I have never got an oil analysis back with any lead elements from the bearing overlay .

Not even 1 part per million of lead !. Those together are a great combo for the Busa .

(mountainmotor @ Feb. 25 2007,08:08) I just tried to take a pic of the core design . It did not pick up what I wanted to show .

The inner core does not use the plain jane round flow holes . It uses fluted openings and is designed to spin the oil through , much like new , state of the art racing filters use .

It also uses a bypass spring that runs from one end to the other unlike the types that use a piece of spring steel metal on the spin cap section .

Out of 4 different Busa's , all using this filter along with Maxima 15w-50 synthetic in each " some at 1 year intervals " ... I have never got an oil analysis back with any lead elements from the bearing overlay .

Not even 1 part per million of lead !. Those together are a great combo for the Busa .
Good info! I have been trying to find one of the Purolator filters locally but to no avail! Any other national chains carry em? I went to the Purolator website and it looks like GI Joes ,Sears or Fred Meyer are my best bets locally.

here's sumpt'in interesting...and check out this 'lil blurb in the article (w/ oil filter surgery pix)...below...

"I received an email from Suzuki of Victoria, informing me that a Hayabusa they took in for service showed no oil pressure. They found the cause was an aged anti-drainback valve on a Hi-Flo filter that would not open, thus cutting off all oil pressure to the entire engine."

and the "intersting to me" part is that the Hi-Flo and K&N are of extremely simular "anti-drainback-valve" designs..and maybe it was "aged" but....still..to wit...

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

K&N and Hi-Flow are definantly "Off My Short List"...i'll stick with the proven and reliable coild spring arrangements thank you very much and?...with regards to K&N?...sometimes ya feel like a nut...and sometimes ya DON'T!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif

(JINKSTER @ Feb. 25 2007,08:41) here's sumpt'in interesting...and check out this 'lil blurb in the article (w/ oil filter surgery pix)...below...

"I received an email from Suzuki of Victoria, informing me that a Hayabusa they took in for service showed no oil pressure. They found the cause was an aged anti-drainback valve on a Hi-Flo filter that would not open, thus cutting off all oil pressure to the entire engine."

and the "intersting to me" part is that the Hi-Flo and K&N are of extremely simular "anti-drainback-valve" designs..and maybe it was "aged" but....still..to wit...

http://www.calsci.com/motorcycleinfo/FilterStudy.html

K&N and Hi-Flow are definantly "Off My Short List"...i'll stick with the proven and reliable coild spring arrangements thank you very much and?...with regards to K&N?...sometimes ya feel like a nut...and sometimes ya DON'T!
laugh.gif

L8R, Bill.
cool.gif
I tried one of the K&N filters and Did not dig it. So I switched back to the stock Suzuki filter. I really want to find one of the Purolator's though.

I don't know but I've not had any problems running either the Wix or STP; But I try and change my oil at least twice a summer! From reading this I might have to give that Pur a try.

OK, I just put a Fram on my bike about a week ago. Someone please tell me what is wrong with it.

I wouldn't run FRAM on anything ... especially a Busa. See the web links near the start of this thread for comparisons and pics ... Basically FRAM seems to make em as cheap as they can - I don't have test data but the pics seem to support lower quality. Hope it helps.
all_coholic.gif

Back