fram oil filter

OB_hallazz

Registered
I bought a fram oil filter for app $10 from a cycle shop and was wandering if this is the same oil filter they sell at auto zone--is there any difference in these 2 filters --If they have the same number it should be the same filter (right) ---

If something happens and the dealer sees you have a fram they will not honor warranty claims. I used one once and they ripped me a new one.

Would have to think that if number is the same - filter is the same. Can you picture the problems of having 2 or more filters with same number. I've never cut a Suzuki filter apart to see how it is made but know that filters vary quite a bit in construction. If you have fram #, bet you can cross reference to a high end filter for less than dealers price on OEM unit. I assume filter is like most mods, could be changed back before dealer inspection? Jack.

I believe the Fram filter for the Hayabusa is the PH-6018. I used this filter last year and this year on my SV-650 and had absolutely no problems. However, $10 for the Fram seems high; Auto Zone around here wants $6.99 for the PH-6018, and my Suzuki dealer charges $10 for the Suzuki filter, which I'm going to use exclusively, given the high state of tune for the Hayabusa. However, ten bucks for a filter is about my limit; more, and I'd be using the Fram.

I've never understood why a few people have such heartburn about using Fram oil filters. They are the largest selling brand of oil filter made by a company that has more patents for oil filters than anyone else in the business. Use their filters as their application catalogue call for, install them properly and change them when the manufacturer states, and you should have no problems. Fram stands behind their products, and they're easy to contact should you have a question or think that you might have a possible oil filter related problem.

Whatever your dealer says, the Magnusen-Moss (not sure about spelling) Act, to the best of my knowledge, precludes a dealer from denying warranty service based on a customer using a non-oem part of equal quality to the specified oem part.

rw

No check valve in the fram....pick a fram up and then a suk filter....suk filter weighs twice as much..I`ve posted in past a good alternative to the suk filter...made by the same people....

cbx
What was alternative you speak of? Did search, got everything but oil filter! With tax, Suzuki filter cost $12.45 from dealer. Not bad when you consider how often you change oil, but on high side when you see good auto filters for 1/2 the price. What are you using? Thanks, Jack

When buying the Fram filter be sure to check the # of threads that hold the filter on. I found one in a parts store for my FZR that only had 1 1/2 rounds. My Yamaha filter has 4 rounds. I would not trust a Fram filter. The Fram for my 'Busa did have 4 rounds and I think this is the same as the Suzuki filter,but I am not sure as I have not changed oil yet. Hey, I say if 2-3 bucks is going to break you, man you ain't going to make it any way! Some people pay 4-5 buck a qt. for oil and go cheap on the filter. That is kind of like ordering a diet Coke with a hot fudge sunday! Go with the Suzuki filter!

Jack tell your dealer to give you the right price on the filter we charge our customers less than retail.we just want them to use Suzuki oil filters.

It is called a HI-FLO filter...made in Europe...has check valve...suzuki tool is a perfect fit...it is the same casing as the suzuki filter...in all fairness I do believe the suk filter has a little more filter material inside but that is not a major concern of mine because I change oil every 1000 miles or so...they cost 4.95 each....Tucker Rocky sells them...I get mine from Performance Tire in PA. sure beats the retail on a suk filter....

The dealers around here are in business to make money, and if they can get it all from 1 person, they be happy. Thats what happens with little competition. Jack

I bought some stuff from Jim here and saved a bunch. Check him out.

I can give anybody from the list dealer cost plus 20% on any OEM parts, that works out to between 30-50% off retail depending on the part, some parts have more mark up than others. I can make you a pretty good deal on aftermarket stuff also however there is just not as much mark up on aftermarket stuff so you may be able to get just as good a deal locally. If you're interested in saving some bucks on OEM and possibly aftermarket give me a call toll free at 1(800) 992-0127 Sunrise Auto & Cycle. Call after 11:00 am eastern time and ask for Jim. If you doubt the validity of the prices I'm sure Jcheese will verfiy for you. I'm still waiting on 1 part for a Canadian customer and then working out finall details on shipments to Canada also.
ride fast be safe
Jim

Back