would it be dumb to try a stp oil filter?

rob t

Registered
went to auto zone and bought mobil mtx oil at 8 bucks a quart seen they had stp filters for the busa was tempted but didnt. oem 19 bucks thats a 50$ oil change. think im gonna go 5k in between at this price.bad thing is have to do it on two bikes !

The K&N filter was around 12 bucks, haven't used it yet, has a nut tacked on to ease in removal.
For what is't worth....
Kevin

$19?!?

You can get OEM from various sources for $10-12 shipped. I bought one at the local dealer for $13, but that was only asking for it by part number (I got charged $18 once, asking for a busa filter, $15 asking for a 600 filter, exact same filter/number, BTW).

Just a tip, if you need parts and don't want to bother with shipping (like you need it today), look up the part number and call the dealer(s). Be sure to get the name of the parts person and make sure they charge exactly what they quoted. ;)

I use the K&N filter on mine I can tell you its probably the cheapest peice that can prevent the most damage to you r very expensive motor. I looked into the K&N and it was of good quality as good if not better than suzuki so I went with that I would not run a cheap oil filter on my motor its just not worth it

There everywhere online (I think the model number is KN-138).

Want to get informed about Motorcycle oils? The difference between synthetic and semi! Look no further than here.
<span style='color:red'>The Oil Man</span>
The author of this article is a Chemist, retired from a major Oil and Chemical Company, after a career in the Quality Assurance of Fuels, Lubricants, and Chemical products. He and his wife both ride motorcycles.

Want to get informed about Motorcycle oils? The difference between synthetic and semi! Look no further than here.
The author of this article is a Chemist, retired from a major Oil and Chemical Company, after a career in the Quality Assurance of Fuels, Lubricants, and Chemical products. He and his wife both ride motorcycles.
NOT AGAIN?
rock.gif

NOT AGAIN?
rock.gif
LOL

this is just my 2cents, later u can take it to heart,take it to the bank,or take it to the can an' use it for toilet paper.
I always go with factory filters . Here's why :
1. its easy
2. it'll fit
3. why gamble with our babies to save 8 bucks
4. it really dont matter . if sumthin gets in the motor ,it gets in thru the air cleaner . which means it passes thru the carbs/fuel injection . which means it went in the cumbustion chamber . if it didnt cause sumthin to nuke up there , it isnt gonna matter much by the time it gets down to the filter . the screen on the bottom of the sump (most sumps) will screen out all them ugly tranny bits .
THINK about this......a guy did a little research on this...actually he did a lot of research . He started by cutting dozens of oil filters in half . NEAT STUFF . Some filters can actually do more harm than good . The ones with paper elements for example....the paper bits come apart and float around in yer motor till they clog sumthin . Neat huh . One of my bikes , I got 150,000 km outa it . Ya 90,000 miles . The guy I sold it too , is still ridin' it . OIL IS EVERYTHING . The filter......who knows . I change the oil REGULARLY , every 2 months , regardless of miles/klicks gone , the filter .....twice a year . Just my 2 pennies worth .

I use the K&N. I buy 10-12 at a time through Dennis Kirk so I don't have to pay shipping. Then sell a few off to friends that live close with Busas.

Steve

There is a time when you can go cheap and a time when you should pay for quality. A friend of mine saved a few bucks buying cheap oil filters for his GSXR1100. He put the filter on and when he passed a car and the rpms were up high the filter blew off the motor!!! He for god only knows why kept the bike up and trashed the motor before he had any idea what happend... I will always buy the best oil and filter for my Busa.... The oil is your cycle's lifes blood!!!

Well I might as well drop my $.02 in as well. I change my oil twice a year. I use regular motor cycle oil and the stock filter, which i believe is the same filter for the katana and a few other suzukis. Typically, the total cost me about $35-$40 bucks, which is $70-$80 a year. I figure I probably blow that much money and don't know and couldn't tell you where I spent it if my life depended on it in a month.

Bottom line, If it cost the avg busa owner $100 a year to have his oil changed they would pay it and not park their bikes. Oil change is everything I have a GMC Jimmy with 200,000 miles on it and its never had a major problem. regular oil changes and a yearly transmission fluid changes. I'm a believer that if you keep your fluids fresh in a vehicle it'll last longer than you WANT to keep it.

just my humble opinion

i get a 2-pak of purolator filters for $12 from amazon.com couple of bucks for shipping..i`ve had good luck with them??

How come there are so many different prices for a stock Suzuki filter?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
?
rock.gif
??

I paid $9.99 for mine at the dealer.......Part # 16510-03G00-X07
beerchug.gif

What's up with all the "different dealer prices"?

Don't all Suzuki dealers use the same book, or does every dealer have their own?

Just curious!!!!!

rock.gif

rock.gif

rock.gif

holy crap, I didnt look at the age on this til I found Dezzy's post
beerchug.gif
I havent seen his butt in FOREVER then I see someone dredged up a 5yr old post
wowold.gif

Back