Ok more astronomical information

And Wag, if there is a "Christian" judgment day, you could stand proud toe to toe with the rest of em and be seen as having lived a decent quality life....that's why I despise it when someone tells me I have to believe what they believe "to be saved". Raydog

How's this for a burst bubble. I watched a show the other night talking about how we have been slinging TV and radio broadcasts into space for like 80 years now. Some hoping that eventually someone or something would receive them and respond. But the show I was watching said that the signals we are sending are most likely scattered into the chaos within a few billion miles so most of them would have been just noise by the time they even got to the edge of our own solar system. Our only hope for contact would be if these other life forms (?) decided to pay us a visit or are looking at us through some super powerful telescope of there own.

You gotta be pretty narrow minded not to think that out there somewhere in all of space there are other life forms. Maybe not quite as advanced as us, maybe exponentially more so. But I for one believe they are out there.

Crop circles? Not so much.

Our only hope for contact would be if these other life forms (?) decided to pay us a visit or are looking at us through some super powerful telescope of there own.
think about this one say the aliens are watching us from say 100 light years away (light travels 286,000 miles per second, almost as fast as my silver/blue 04...anyways,) thru a telescope that light and image they are viewing is a picture of time already 100 years in the past their seeing into the past as it were due to the vast distance and time it takes for that light to fall onto their eyeball

now, if my car could go the speed of light and i turned my headlights on would they come on?
all_coholic.gif

Our only hope for contact would be if these other life forms (?) decided to pay us a visit or are looking at us through some super powerful telescope of there own.
think about this one say the aliens are watching us from say 100 light years away (light travels 286,000 miles per second, almost as fast as my silver/blue 04...anyways,) thru a telescope that light and image they are viewing is a picture of time already 100 years in the past their seeing into the past as it were due to the vast distance and time it takes for that light to fall onto their eyeball

now, if my car could go the speed of light and i turned my headlights on would they come on?
all_coholic.gif
If you think about it, the Hubble is the closest thing we have to a time machine. It is taking pictures of objects in space that may not even exist any longer and if they did they aren't where they were when the picture was snapped.Tough to imagine.

And Wag, if there is a "Christian" judgment day, you could stand proud toe to toe with the rest of em and be seen as having lived a decent quality life....that's why I despise it when someone tells me I have to believe what they believe "to be saved". Raydog
The flip side of that coin is that there are plenty of so-called Christians who I would never turn my back on. I'm glad none of them post on THIS board!

--Wag--

My favorite example is Huckabee, he believes the earth is about 7500 years old, there is no evolution, and when you pry open shale rock and find a fossil....it's just a trick from god! Yep, I really want him for my President. Raydog

The flip side of that coin is that there are plenty of so-called Christians who I would never turn my back on. I'm glad none of them post on THIS board!

--Wag--
m u s t f i g h t o f f urge t o o o
rant.gif

all_coholic.gif
The bulb burns out, I experienced this last week on the way to work on an open stretch of road. I don't recommend the average Joe trying this although, at that speed the head shake and aging process is almost unbearable.

sure we are alone out here.... couldn't possibly be another living thing out there... (certainly not with our intelligence)
rock.gif
laugh.gif
And they look like us 'cause,
if they are intelligent they have souls,
if they have souls they are born in sin,
if they are born in sin they have a saviour,
Their savior must be one of them,
there is only one saviour and that's Jesus,
Jesus looks like us 'cause we are created in Gods image,
therefore all the aliens must look like Jesus (or at least human).

cheers
ken
And they would have to be decendents of Adam and Eve. That's where sin began.

all_coholic.gif
The bulb burns out, I experienced this last week on the way to work on an open stretch of road. I don't recommend the average Joe trying this although, at that speed the head shake and aging process is almost unbearable.
you both have to overcome this one little problem....

IF you accept the physics law of speed... it is impossible to travel faster than the speed of light

You are sitting in the driver seat at the speed of light... how you going to reach forward? it would defy the law....

Adam and Eve.... well again this comes from organized religion... and not to start a debate about it but they (the Christians) killed as many as any other "religion" in the name of their beliefs.. I can not resolve that in my mind to be a good thing..

the whole religion thing makes my brain hurt....

You fools! God is real!!!

How else can you explain the Busa? Do you really think we mere mortals are capable of creating such a wonder?

They say a Category 5 tornado is the finger of God. Well I say the Hayabusa is his pinky toe.
laugh.gif

If E = MC squared, then MC squared = E.  If we traveled faster than the speed of light, we would start turning into energy.

I think we should conclude this thread with a word of thanksgiving, please bow your heads..

Dear Lord, as I get ready to get on my motorcycle and prepare to ride,
Just let me feel your presence with me riding side by side.

Let us feel the wind together blowing across our face,
Don't let me fail to see and smell the nature around me as I ride from
place to place.

Dear Lord, keep me safe from harm and let the other drivers see me as I
ride by, And every once in awhile even though I'm a biker let them say, "Hi".

Keep me alert and always watching for others,
Don't let me ever fail to stop and help out one of my sisters or brothers.

And when my time on earth is up and it's time for me to take that ride in the sky,

Just give me a chance to tell everyone I love them and don't forget me when I die.

Lord, Thank You for letting me be a biker and doing what I love the best,
For the many miles I traveled, places I got to go and see before I finally come to rest.

AMEN !!

all this reminds me of this photograph and the quote from Carl Sagan:

(yeah, this is probably a repost. Screw it.)

The Pale Blue Dot

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity "â€￾ in all this vastness "â€￾ there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."￾

pia00452zn7.jpg

all this reminds me of this photograph and the quote from Carl Sagan:

(yeah, this is probably a repost.  Screw it.)

The Pale Blue Dot

"We succeeded in taking that picture [from deep space], and, if you look at it, you see a dot. That's here. That's home. That's us. On it, everyone you ever heard of, every human being who ever lived, lived out their lives. The aggregate of all our joys and sufferings, thousands of confident religions, ideologies and economic doctrines, every hunter and forager, every hero and coward, every creator and destroyer of civilizations, every king and peasant, every young couple in love, every hopeful child, every mother and father, every inventor and explorer, every teacher of morals, every corrupt politician, every superstar, every supreme leader, every saint and sinner in the history of our species, lived there on a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam.

The earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and in triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of the dot on scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner of the dot. How frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds. Our posturings, our imagined self-importance, the delusion that we have some privileged position in the universe, are challenged by this point of pale light. Our planet is a lonely speck in the great enveloping cosmic dark. In our obscurity "â€￾ in all this vastness "â€￾ there is no hint that help will come from elsewhere to save us from ourselves. It is up to us. It's been said that astronomy is a humbling, and I might add, a character-building experience. To my mind, there is perhaps no better demonstration of the folly of human conceits than this distant image of our tiny world. To me, it underscores our responsibility to deal more kindly and compassionately with one another and to preserve and cherish that pale blue dot, the only home we've ever known."￾
And in all of the vast expansions we call space it's a pleasure and a delight to know that we are not an accident. We have been purposefully and wonderfully made.

For more on if we are alone, check out the Drake Equation.

This also brings up the Fermi paradox, which roughly states that civilizations (whether our own or alien) might tend to self-destruct before they realize the technology for interstellar/galactic communication or travel.

Back