Ok i have my first problem

the_1

Registered
the bike runs fine once its warmed up and all. but the problem i had today is: when i went to the gas station, filled her up, she cranked fine but when i put it in gear it dies. so i crank it back rev her up alittle higher, she dies again and again and again. finally she stayed running. any clue to what this could be? i would think she was warmed enough.. now the bike is new to me so any input will be appreciated.

That is not normal man ???, I would've gone to the dealer by now if I were you, that's never happened to Zephyr so far, and she's on her 13K miles now.

Luck with that bro.

If it just dies after you put it in gear check the kickstand switch.

++1, however, if the problem is indeed the kick stand it should go to "check mode" on the display when it dies, if otherwise, then it's not the kickstand, right?

My 2 cents.

the bike runs fine once its warmed up and all. but the problem i had today is: when i went to the gas station, filled her up, she cranked fine but when i put it in gear it dies. so i crank it back rev her up alittle higher, she dies again and again and again. finally she stayed running. any clue to what this could be? i would think she was warmed enough.. now the bike is new to me so any input will be appreciated.

"Sufficiently warmed up" should not make any difference, yo. I'm with the k-stand theory.

Make sure it's clean and well lubed.

Keep us posted on that.

i am almost 100 miles from the nearest suz dealer. but i think it maybe the kickstand deal. i kinda have a habit of leavin the kickstand down until the last second. ive seen too many bikes laid down from thinkn its down and it not. but i think thats it. going to ck in the morning.

Spray a little lubricant on the pivot surfaces for the kickstand and check your springs. A friend had the same problem, his was actually a bit bent on the tang that contacts the switch pin. Either way, it's simply the kickstand switch not closing the circuit, when you shift the circuit is open and the ecu shuts things off. No the kickstand doesn't throw a code of any sort.... no "check" messages.....

thanks spudley. im gonna ck all that and spray some lube on it anyway, since i just got the bike and dont no what this other gu has done to this bike.

I'm not convinced myself it's the kickstand yet.

Were you just not raising the kickstand all the way? When it died did your temp gauge shoot all the way to hot?

IF it was your kickstand switch your display would also say "CHEC"

nor would it have started at all unless it was barely pushing in the switch and the vibration moved the kickstand back down (unlikely) especially if its stiff and you had to "lube" it.

Last edited:
if for some reason the switch is bad...you can bypass the switch by jumping the two wires together....just in case its this or stranded option...

99busa, u are very correct. didnt really know if it was the sensor r not. but while i lubed that up, i checked the kickstand out. i think that the kickstand was not going all the way so there fore not hitting the littl tab killing it everytime. tried it out a few times and it fine.

Back