Need help with wifes bike

ZbornacSVT

Registered
ok, i'll try and keep this as concise as possible, lol.

2005 ZX6R

towed from Montana to Indiana, Started both bikes up to go for a ride and hers started up fine. While warming up it died. Has not been able to start again since. Put new plugs and filter in yesterday, and i can hear the fuel pump running. I cant find any kinked fuel lines or anything. It is cranking and I can feel compression coming out of the exhaust. Any suggestions?

-Kimball

lurk.gif

Something clogging the air filter? Might have picked something up during the trip.

Something clogging the air filter? Might have picked something up during the trip.

cleaned and re-oiled the filter, blew out the moth and bee that were in there. nothing that looked abnormal.

Got spark?

this is a serious question of mine. i know the plugs are good, but how do I safely check that I am actually getting a spark from them? this is my main goal at the moment.

Stator? Does it have a tilt sensor?

does have a tilt sensor, but i doubt it is the problem as it ran fine then died without being touched, but I will check to verify it is good. Not sure how to check the stator but all things electrical seem fine. Battery tender is doing its job in normal time when plugged in and bike sounds strong when trying to start, it just can't.

This is driving me nuts, lol. I will keep you guys posted as I hopefully progress through this. Keep the questions and ideas coming. Thanks for all the help thus far.

-Kimball

(05BusaLe @ Jan. 12 2007,14:34) Got spark?
Yes - you need to confirm spark and fuel............

Get a spark tester at advance or autozone or just try the ol' screwdriver trick if yer brave.... (i mean careful)

Pull one plug leave hooked to coil/wire while resting metal hex head part of the plug against metal for a good ground try to start it and look for spark at end of plug! Also is the run/stop switch set to run?

ram air kawi's from my experiance tend to flood thereselves terribley when being hauled for any period of time. I know on my zx-7 i had i would have to hold w.o.t to get it started. im not sure if the newer fuel injected ones are doing it to, but i would hold the throttle open and try again.

Like NJ said Stator? Check for primary power at ignition coil/coils with a dvm.

(tourbus @ Jan. 12 2007,16:31) ram air kawi's from my experiance tend to flood thereselves terribley when being hauled for any period of time. I know on my zx-7 i had i would have to hold w.o.t to get it started. im not sure if the newer fuel injected ones are doing it to, but i would hold the throttle open and try again.
+1 I had the same problem with my zx11

it seems only the carbed ram air kawis are the ones that have that problem as the extra intake pressure made the carbs flow a little bit. I have tried holding the throttle WOT until the battery needs charging and doesnt seem to help.

One thing I noticed that seems a bit odd to me but might be normal? Battery is supposed to be 12.8+ V per service manual and if not recharge. I can get it up over 13 with my battery tender, but as I am testing it I can see it drop about a tenth of a volt every second. It becomes stable again around 12.5-12.6 within a few minutes. I should be able to still get spark with that voltage, no? I am tempted to grab a battery at Walmart just to test it before I run an hour away to get a Yuasa. Thoughts?

-Kimball

12.5-12.6 is more then enough voltage to start the bike.

Back