stranded at the gas station

Actually Rhythm it has a rotor and stator that put out between 60 and 80 vac and a retifier (diode trio and regulator) -- all of this constitues an alternator ;) (though not located in one place on the bike)

Ya load test was under crank (no load tester here) and it was in the 10's after it charged (BTW load should be 1/2 the rated CCA of the battery for 10 seconds and stay above 10v )

My ride to work is 5-10 mins each way and i'm pretty sure its just a case of not enough run time to counter the alarm and starter draw
I am going to get (or build) a trickle charger this week (think harbor freight has one for under 10 bucks)

I still have not figgered out why i have the slow crank when I stall it at operating temp. It does it in neutral too so its not drive train drag (clutch). If I wait like 15 seconds to a minute it cranks fine. The starter I am sure is pulling too much amperage -- why ?? no idea ----Timing perhaps?

Thanks to everyone for the replies I have a DVOM and a hammer so I'm all set ;)

(Lamb busa @ Jan. 23 2007,18:08) Come on fatty!  Push that thing!  Lamb knows that gas station and there is  a hill!.........................................seriously though, sorry about the rotten morning.................................. at least your girl responds to a robust phone tongue lashing!
I tried to push it --- screw that !!! -- would be a good way to test the sliders tho i'm sure

(xzvs @ Jan. 23 2007,18:39) Actually Rhythm it has a rotor and stator that put out between 60 and 80 vac and a retifier (diode trio and regulator) -- all of this constitues an alternator ;) (though not located in one place on the bike)

Ya load test was under crank (no load tester here) and it was in the 10's after it charged (BTW load should be 1/2 the rated CCA of the battery for 10 seconds and stay above 10v )

My ride to work is 5-10 mins each way and i'm pretty sure its just a case of not enough run time to counter the alarm and starter draw
I am going to get (or build) a trickle charger  this week (think harbor freight has one for under 10 bucks)

I still have not figgered out why i have the slow crank when I stall it at operating temp. It does it in neutral too so its not drive train drag (clutch). If I wait like 15 seconds to a minute it cranks fine. The starter I am sure is pulling too much amperage -- why ?? no idea ----Timing perhaps?

Thanks to everyone for the replies  I have a DVOM and a hammer so I'm all set ;)
Dude quite fighting and just listen or read the manual. The Busa has a generator point blank that uses a rectifier for conversion.  You are a qualified ASE tech, right ?  
rock.gif

Thats why I don't taking my shid to a stealership !

Good or not --a generator spins the windings (armature) around a magnet and uses brushes

an alternator spins a rotor inside a magnetic field (stator)

guess what -- its an alternator

I'm not trying to be a jerk But it IS what I do for a living

Dayum xzvs, that sux...morning ride gets screwed by lack of juice. Makes me want to get my trickle charger out....

(xzvs @ Jan. 23 2007,22:09) Good or not --a generator spins the windings (armature) around a magnet and uses brushes

an alternator spins a rotor inside a magnetic field (stator)

guess what -- its an alternator

I'm not trying to be a jerk But it IS what I do for a living
I am not here to argue but...

I'd like to add that an alternator provides a constant level of power and does not increase in charge as the engine revs.

With an alternator when you remove the battery the car will still run.

Although similar in design a generator increases in power as the RPMs increase. At low idol a bike will rely on the battery charge. When the RPMs increase the batter is charged and the bike runs off of the generator.

This is why if you remove the terminal off of the battery the bike does not run.

Just my .02. They are similar in the way the power is made but differ in how it is used.
beerchug.gif

ow my head hurts
tounge.gif

near as I can tell anything that generates electricity is a "generator" a generator that produces ac current is an alternator
A generator will spin when under electric power (like a motor -- cause it basically is a motor )
an alternator will not
The alternator requires a battery to establish the magnetic field therefore it cannot produce voltage without a battery -- a generator on the other hand can as it has permanent magnets and only requires sufficient rpm.

You can take away the battery from either with sufficient rpm and they will both produce power

They do however both produce higher voltage the faster you spin them so both do require regulators.

Question, Newbee here , Do they suggest disconnecting the battery before placing it on charge ( on a charger ) or just just put the charger on it let it go..? Thanks PR

Shop manual does refer to the Busa charging system as a generator.

I honestly think it comes down to what each manufacturer decides to call it. My Honda shop manuals refer to my CXT's charging system as an alternator and it's a 3 phase stator setup with regulator/rectifier same as the Busa.

Personally I call it an alternator since it's producing 3 phase AC and no brushes/commutator are used.

Actually I know I'm right when I say manufacturer preference because I just looked through my GM Shop manual, electrical manual and exploded parts manual to my 1990 Storm and all 3 call it a Generator and we all know real generators have not been used in cars since the mid 1960's.

(xzvs @ Jan. 23 2007,20:37) ow my head hurts  
tounge.gif

near as I can tell anything that generates electricity is a "generator" a generator that produces ac current is an alternator
A generator will spin when under electric power (like a motor -- cause it basically is a motor )
an alternator will not
The alternator requires a battery to establish the magnetic field therefore it cannot produce voltage without a battery -- a generator on the other hand can as it has permanent magnets and only requires sufficient rpm.

You can take away the battery from either with sufficient rpm and they will both produce power

They do however both produce higher voltage the faster you spin them so both do require regulators.
Absolutley true.  The shop manual ref to the Busa having a Generator /  Three Phase A.C.  Generator with a rectifier/regulator.  
I'll ask one of my electronic Tech at work today what the can make of it.

If I'm wrong and its not an a generator only setup, I apologize for a55 suming it was a generator setup.  But like I also mentioned before, keep the battery connected to a tender when the alarm is activated to prevent damaging your battery cells when the bike is parked for more than a day using your alarm.
Its possible you have weakend (bad cell) your battery by draining your battery more than once. Thats why I suggested the helpful tip.

race.gif

(heavybusa @ Jan. 23 2007,20:18)
I'd like to add that an alternator provides a constant level of power and does not increase in charge as the engine revs. [/Quote]

Since when does any alternator provide a constant level of power without relation to rpm? The lower the rpm the less voltage and amperage an alternator puts out. Ever put a volt meter on your car battery and check the voltage at idle vs. 3K rpm? It may be better regulated and more powerful than a generator but it sure as all hell isn't constant.

A main weak point with a generator is that they had to be run much slower than engine rpm because of the commutator. If you ran the engine up to 5000 rpm and the generator matched that, it would explode internally. Through use of pulley size they were typically run at a max of 2500 rpm (½ engine speed). Fine while driving but they never charge worth a damn while idling.

As far as the whole arguement goes.....

What does AC stand for?
Yes, that's right, alternating current.
alternator, alternating, alternator, alternating....seeing a connection yet?

REGULATOR is a moot point since both alternators and generators use one whether it's internal, external, electronic or mechanical. Without it voltage would soar out of control.

RECTIFIER is used with an alternator, it converts the AC to DC.
An alternator has 3 phases each shifted by 120º.

A generator puts out DC therefore it does not use a RECTIFIER. When a commutator is used with brushes you get sort of a crappy ripple DC output.

If you have something throwing out 3 phase AC and it's using a rectifier to convert to DC, you have an alternator.

The hayabusa technically has an alternator.

that sucks!! get a new battery and next time that happens just grab another guy from the gas station and have him help you push the bike then kick her into gear and should fire right up!! oldie but a goodie to get around a dead battery and back on the road!!
beerchug.gif

Back