Oil, what oil.

You're changing your oil only every 7k miles? Manual calls for 4k. My old Honda XX had 8k oil changes per the manual.

I usually change the oil every 4k, and the filter every other change.

Yes, I do 120 miles a day to work and back. The miles add up quickly and since I use a premium oil and filter, I do not see a problem with running them a little longer. The RPM's do not get above 8K except for the quick spirited burst in the country.

It is interesting to read how some of you guys with less than 200hp and super premium oil change the oil with very little mileage on the clock. I can understand if your drag racing and are very hard on the clutch, maybe. For prospective.... Turbo busa bikes have to remove the oil cooler because of space restrictions and a Turbo is harder on oil in one day than a non built motor during hundreds of miles. Do whatever brings you comfort, however I ride a 300hp Turbo bike in 115F heat with no oil cooler and change the oil about 4-5k miles and have about $12k in motor and Turbo build.
Not meant as an argument, only insight.

It is interesting to read how some of you guys with less than 200hp and super premium oil change the oil with very little mileage on the clock. I can understand if your drag racing and are very hard on the clutch, maybe. For prospective.... Turbo busa bikes have to remove the oil cooler because of space restrictions and a Turbo is harder on oil in one day than a non built motor during hundreds of miles. Do whatever brings you comfort, however I ride a 300hp Turbo bike in 115F heat with no oil cooler and change the oil about 4-5k miles and have about $12k in motor and Turbo build.
Not meant as an argument, only insight.

This is exactly why I change my Amsoil after 6500-7000 miles with a K&N filter change. I know what the manual says, but I know that premium oil like Amsoil synthetic would have no problem running for 7K miles. I ride around 3850 RPM most of the time during my commute. I would be wasting money if I changed it every 3K miles. I have a 2000 Mercury Sable that I use to commute when it is too cold or stormy out, I change that oil every 15K miles while using Mobile 1 Synthetic high mileage.

To each their own, but the busa acts and shifts the same before and after the oil change at 7K miles. Just turned 21K miles in total yesterday, still going strong.

Mobil 1 Racing 4T 10w-40 full synthetic, is specific for motorcycles. I use it because I can usually get it for $6 a quart. It does fairly decent in my bike!

pm me where you can get this for $6 / quart! that's a ba price. i got stuck paying retail on a sunday evening last time i wanted the bike back up. 4q @ 16.99 sucks.

.... I ride a 300hp Turbo bike in 115F heat with no oil cooler and change the oil about 4-5k miles....

Corrected oil info just in case anyone actually reads this stuff.

Stock motor ZX-10R on conventional oil every 4-5k miles
Turbo bike on full synthetic 2k miles

Mobil1 15w50 redtop. I use various filters for oil changes all of which can be bought for a decent price through most autoparts stores. I used Mobil1 for 5 years of owning Busas and my engines were always clean as hell internally when I inspected them. On my stock 04'Busa after switching to Mobil1, I had to turn the idle down slightly 3 times over a few months time because of how much better synthetic oils work. No BS'n.

Amsoil, smoother shifting lower engine temps. Plus great if you ride all year around like me. Several mornings when I leave work it is well below freezing especially with the wind chill factor. The bike sits outside for 12 hours and fires up without the slightest hesistation every time. Just my opinion.

For you guys that change your oil so frequently how many miles do you ride a year. I try to get in between 15,000-20,000 a year if I can. I would go bankrupt if I changed my oil every 1-2k miles. Now if you only ride 1-2k miles a year I can see changing the oil because it has been in the bike so long.

Back