Oil question???

KvHotDog4

Registered
So I am thinking of finally changing to a synthetic oil for my bike. My question is, is it ok to switch to synthetic now? My bike has 42,000 miles on it and has only has Suzuki oil in it. I am a little conserned because the engine may have wore to the viscosity of the Suzuki type and changing could maybe mess something up??? I really don't know but I know the pros on here will have an answer.

You are kidding right? I sure hope so, after 42,000 miles I think whatever you are doing is working just fine. :rofl:

You are kidding right? I sure hope so, after 42,000 miles I think whatever you are doing is working just fine. :rofl:

No I wasn't kidding, I drive 100 miles per day 5 days a week and about 200 - 300 miles on the weekend I know you don't have to change synthetic until about 10,000 miles. I would only let it go maybe 8000 but it would still save money and its supposed to stop engine wear. Thats why I was considering it I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too late.

Ok, since you weren't kidding :poke: , at 42k I don't know that it is worth it or not. I would be apprehensive about adding it at that point. Maybe it is an old wives tell, but I have heard of people adding synthetic to a high mileage engine and it start smoking, etc.

If it were me, I wouldn't at 42k if it had never had synthetic.

I had a friend with a diesel Land Cruiser who did regular maintenance, and changed to synthetic at 180,000 miles.
The synthetic cleaned out all the deposits in the motor, and the result was a tar like mixture that seized the engine.
It was running perfect before he did it.
Don't know how that would apply here, but if it were mine, I would change to the synthetic and then do another oil change in 100 miles or so and look at it carefully.
JMO

Back