Oil Question

So before I tell you about starting her up, I have to give a Huge shout out to my Sponsor GripAce, as I told you I was waiting for a left control, well The owner called me today and I told him the situation, asked to get a replacement ASAP. So he said just come by when you get off work and pick one up, I didn't get off till Midnight, so I was a little afraid to call but Tim was up and met me to give me my replacement left control.

So after rushing home, I did a temp install turned the key and started her up and low and behold, she sounds normal :cheerleader: . However I will be making a trip to a local engine builder just to check things out. But there was no knocking pinging or any unusual sounds, however I do have dapincci pipes so the exhaust is a bit loud in a closed garage at 1am.

Awesome to hear bro...and very nice busa! Those wheels are friggen sick!!

Another Update,
I talked to the guys at Crago Racing in Van Nuys, Ca, although they havent seen the bike from what I told them about what happened they are pretty sure it will require an engine rebuild, so as I said before since I am cracking the case may as well do the 1441 build of the engine, It just about the same in labor. Now part well that a different story. I will be taking her over to them in the morning. And for the future, I wont be doing oil changes when I am tired.

So in recap

Crush ring $.50
Case of Oil Around $30.00
Blowing my engine because I forgot to tighten my drain plug priceless

you wont be able to tell alot until the motor is cracked open.. look at the oil in the motor to start with.. looking for any look of "pearl" paint look in the oil (usually bearing material)

If the oil is lacking any metallic material, you could be really lucky, but I would still pull rod caps and inspect the rod bearings (each of them).. Not sure what fails first on the busa motor but cam towers and main bearings are other likely failure points.. if the motor is out, may as well inspect it all..

Judging from your first post, I would be sure something is hurt.. motors do not just stop from lack of oil and get away with it very darn often.. (could happen)

Another Update,
I talked to the guys at Crago Racing in Van Nuys, Ca, although they havent seen the bike from what I told them about what happened they are pretty sure it will require an engine rebuild, so as I said before since I am cracking the case may as well do the 1441 build of the engine, It just about the same in labor. Now part well that a different story. I will be taking her over to them in the morning. And for the future, I wont be doing oil changes when I am tired.

So in recap

Crush ring $.50
Case of Oil Around $30.00
Blowing my engine because I forgot to tighten my drain plug priceless

You live you learn man when I ued to work at the auto shop I heard the statement. The oil light went on so we tried to drive it to you as fast as we could. diagnosis rebuild (or new engine depending on how "fast they tried to drive it there). Nice bike man :thumbsup:

well if its toast, you can always build it back up and boring/stroking it for more fun

by the way an oil light doesn't always mean you are out of oil, on most vehicles it means you have no oil pressure, witch could be no oil, could be the oil pump stopped too, or the oil gallys are plugged....

I've got a question for you...when your doing these oil changes, you ARE replacing the crush washer with a new one each time arent you? If not, that could be why the plug vibrated loose. .
i had 3 busa's with over 20k I put on them.
NEVER installed a new crush washer.
NEVER had a plug vibrate loose???

i had 3 busa's with over 20k I put on them.
NEVER installed a new crush washer.

I've had 5 bikes in my day with alot of miles on them.
ALWAYS installed a new crush washer.

Your point? I think we've already been through this discussion and WERE back on topic.

you wont be able to tell alot until the motor is cracked open.. look at the oil in the motor to start with.. looking for any look of "pearl" paint look in the oil (usually bearing material)

If the oil is lacking any metallic material, you could be really lucky, but I would still pull rod caps and inspect the rod bearings (each of them).. Not sure what fails first on the busa motor but cam towers and main bearings are other likely failure points.. if the motor is out, may as well inspect it all..

Judging from your first post, I would be sure something is hurt.. motors do not just stop from lack of oil and get away with it very darn often.. (could happen)

Like MrBogus said...give it a good once over...you may come out lucky. Does anyone on this board know if the ecu shuts the engine down if the oil pressure drops to low? the question was asked in the beginning of the thread but was never answered. I know of several cars that do this to KEEP you from killing your engine but dont know if this protocal is in the Hayabusa's ecu or not. If it is, this may have saved you!

Last edited:
Just to clear it up, I truly doubt it vibrated Loose, although I dont know what really happened, I am pretty sure I didnt properly tighten the plug

Back