Oil Question

Monty

Registered
OK, I know the oil issue gets beat to death so I'll keep it simple. I'll explain what I'm looking at doing then ask the question.

Since my bike is new and I'm still in break in, I've decided to change my oil at my 500 and 1000 mile break in points.  I bought the bike and did a hard (ish) break in for the first 15 miles (www.mototuneusa.com) to seat the rings.  I then change the oil and filter immediately and went with BelRay 10w40 non synthetic and OEM filter.  I am now at 500 miles and want to change oil again before taking her above 5500 rpms. My long range plan is oil changes again at 1,000 and 1,500 and then full synth at 2,000 miles. I know it's probably overkill, but I'm a little quirky that way, and oil is a cheap investment so I'd like to keep it pretty fresh while the motor is breaking in.

Question:  The BelRay is good oil but it's $6 a quart.  Can I use an SL rated car oil (e.g. valvoline) and an OEM filter?  The oil spec calls for SF or SG rated oil, and car oil is SL rated. From what I've read, SF and SG are outdated specs...but the only materials I can find reference car motors, not bikes. Keep in mind the oil will get changed every 500 miles until I go full synth at 2,000.

Thanks for your opinions.
Monty

Just make sure that it is not "energy conserving".That way it will not adversly effect the clutch.Ride Or Fish sent me a very informative link dealing with this subject,but I don't have it here at work.ROF,are you out there?

The SL is a service grade rating.

The S stands for Spark (the way the fuel is ignited, as opposed to C for compression lik in diesels) and the L is the quality of the oil. The higher the letter, the better (more recent specc) the oil.

You can use a later oil in an earlier vehicle but not the other way around.

I know I'm going to hear shid for this but the service grade is really the only way to judge a motor oil. Unless you run side by side comparisons over a long term, under the same conditions, any oil preferance (in my humble opinion) is just that, a personal preferance.

Here it comes!
laugh.gif

Back