Oil Viewing Glass

bigc70

Registered
Hey guys, just changed oil for the 1st time last night and i guess I'm still just a little paranoid, but here's my question;

Will you be able to see the oil level when the bike is on its kickstand? Or does it have to be upright (or on stands)? I put in four quarts of amsoil synthetic last night but I can't really see the oil level in the glass. I let it sit in the garage overnight so if it had leaked out or anything overnight i would have noticed it this morning, and she seems to be running great (just rode her to work this morning). Can I just not see it because the oil is new and semi clear?

(sorry the image isnt so clear...its from my cell phone)

Thanx!!

IMG00013.jpg

Yes, the bike has to be straight up, on its wheels or on both stands to get a proper reading of how much oil is in it.

Straight up and bike shut off for a while before getting a true measure.

Staight up, just get beside of it on your knees and pull the bike over towards you easily and once it reaches the balance point( you will be able to tell), that will be standing up straight, and then check it. :thumbsup:

It has to be standing straight up...if you put it just on a rear stand it will read low.

Just for clarification, you'll barely see any oil in the window when you have your bike up on the rear stand only. I use a small mirror on a stalk and flashlight when I'm sitting on the bike upright.

Staight up, just get beside of it on your knees and pull the bike over towards you easily and once it reaches the balance point( you will be able to tell), that will be standing up straight, and then check it. :thumbsup:

Totally correct. How hard would it have been for Zuke to make site glass show full on the kickstand? Even a dipstick would have been easier.

I wondered the same thing when I first got my bike ---

Funny thing was --- I did my oil last weekend and used amsoil too --- when it was full, the oil was so clear, I couldn't tell what the level was till I got really close! I thought I had put in the magic/invisible/vanishing oil! :laugh:

Glad you got it figured out... :beerchug:

Dave

Not a very good design, First time I tried to check it freaked me out I finally had a buddy hold the bike level for me, Didnt like the idea of bending over to look at the level while trying to hold the bike level, Just the slightest tilt away from you and I dont think you could stop the fall.

Not a very good design, First time I tried to check it freaked me out I finally had a buddy hold the bike level for me, Didnt like the idea of bending over to look at the level while trying to hold the bike level, Just the slightest tilt away from you and I dont think you could stop the fall.

I always get my wife to hold the bike upright while I crawl on the floor to look at the stupid thing.

I always get my wife to hold the bike upright while I crawl on the floor to look at the stupid thing.

You know I actually thought about asking her once, But the image of me squatting down to look and hearing her say Michael Michael its leaning, and the next thing I know its either ontop of me or laying on its other side freaked me out.

Back