Oil Type

Dai

Registered
Hello Everybody,

Great site, some stunning bikes out there. Just bought a new (my first) busa. I've checked a few of the 'oil' related threads but cannot find an answer to my question.
Does anybody know what type of engine oil (mineral, semi synthetic)do Suzuki put in the bike before leaving the factory? Futhermore what oil type can I use to top up the oil level.

IIRC, it is conventional oil.... 10-40W.

You can use pretty much most any quality 10-40W motorcycle oil that meets specs. I don't seem to recall my K8 needing a single drop before its initial oil change/600-mile service.
thumb_up.gif

Thanks Warchild. I know this sounds scilly but to be honest I've had problems just trying to read a consistent oil level. I've followed the idiots guide to the letter but sometimes I can't see any!!! The only consistent reading I get is when it's cold and the level is about half way. Never had this issue with previous bikes.
To cut a long story short, I topped it up with about 100ml of semi synthetic but I've since been told that it should be mineral oil only during the 'brake in' period. I don't know whether to replace the lot, that way at least I'll know how much is in there but as it's being 'run in' I want make sure I put the right type in.

Anyway thanks for the reply mate.

I would think if you only topped off with semi-syn...you should be ok.

Full synthetic slows down the seating of the internal parts that take place during break in periods.

Are you checking it on a rear stand or just holding the bike up level?

I just dumped my oil @ 200 kms only because, i had the body work off for my exhaust , Dont know what came out, had shiny bits of metal in it, i put back in 3.5 L of Motul Semi
thumb_up.gif
, I ride it like I stole it, I will dump the oil again @ 1000kms

Hi BlueHaya, I've tried both. I've had the misses holding the bike up straight, no sign of any oil and then all of a sudden move the bike and oil appears.
I know this sounds stupid but its as if there is some kind of air trap or something.
Cheers Dai

..not sure why it would do that either.

If it was me...I would get a gallon/4 quarts of Suzuki 10w-40 oil (regular oil) and a new filter and change it all, then you will know what is in it.

Thanks Guys. Think I'll drop the oil and replace it with mineral oil. I've haven't seen Suzuki 10w-40 oil in the Uk but as long as it's 10w-40 I guess it wont effect the warranty.

Don't worry about it. what you see in the window is maybe 1/2 a liter. think of the oil resevior like a milk jug and the window is at the little neck at the top. A little cup of synthetic will delute to nothing really. If truth be known alot of people in the engine world with the new materials in the cylinders and rings of todays modern engines start with SYNTHETIC. I personally will wait to 1000 miles, but thats my old school in me.

Thanks Guys. Think I'll drop the oil and replace it with mineral oil. I've haven't seen Suzuki 10w-40 oil in the Uk but as long as it's 10w-40 I guess it wont effect the warranty.
10w-40 motorcycle oil. If you have a local dealer go their.

If you just change the oil and not the filter it will take less oil.
beerchug.gif

If I change the oil, I'll change the filter but after reading 'boosted' message, it's got me thinking again - I think I'll change my name to Mr Indecisive!

Thanks for all the advice.

Hi BlueHaya, I've tried both. I've had the misses holding the bike up straight, no sign of any oil and then all of a sudden move the bike and oil appears.
I know this sounds stupid but its as if there is some kind of air trap or something.
Cheers Dai
When I put my bike on the rear stand it looked as if there wasn´t enough oil, but when it sat on the front stand as well the oil-level was at the minimum marking... so I topped it up with about 2-300 ml of semi synthetic. I tend to pull the odd wheely so I topped it up for some added insurance
winkold.gif

Looks like Suzuki is trying to save $$$ on oil, by only filling up to the bare-minimum.

Don't worry about it. what you see in the window is maybe 1/2 a liter. think of the oil resevior like a milk jug and the window is at the little neck at the top. A little cup of synthetic will delute to nothing really. If truth be known alot of people in the engine world with the new materials in the cylinders and rings of todays modern engines start with SYNTHETIC. I personally will wait to 1000 miles, but thats my old school in me.
thumb_up.gif

Hello Everybody,

Great site, some stunning bikes out there. Just bought a new (my first) busa. I've checked a few of the 'oil' related threads but cannot find an answer to my question.
Does anybody know what type of engine oil (mineral, semi synthetic)do Suzuki put in the bike before leaving the factory? Futhermore what oil type can I use to top up the oil level.
You have to really be careful looking at that thing. I thought the same thing!! I could not see any oil in mine sitting on the bike stands and thought it would need some. After talking with my friend i founf it only has to move a very little to see the oil in the window. What i did was pull it up sitting on the ground and i saw what it was doing. Good luck, Doug

My_Hayabusa_144RS.jpg

A big thanks for all the replys, I feel a little happier now. By the way I have had a look around the local stores including a couple of bike dealers in the local area and basic mineral oil is as rare as 'rocking horse' sh1t!

I run Mobil 1 full syn. car oil 5w 20. works well for me. Have ran it in my last 6 or so bikes. my 06 14 had 5000 street miles and 300 to 400 passes on stock clutch.

"Mineral oil?" WTF?

Just use regular 10-40, you'll be fine. First oil change about 100 miles, then every 3,000 miles. Use synth if you like.

Just make sure you don't use oil with "friction modifiers" or "gas saver" oil. There is a such thing as motorcycle friendly oil and car friendly oil but there is no such thing as "motorcycle oil." That's merely a label that allows them to charge you more!

--Wag--

Back