oil question

yengese

Registered
Having my bike shipped tomorrow, this is the third time its been done but they want all the oil drained. Problem is that it is going directly into storage for a while since I will be deployed. I don't want to drain the oil but these guys are being sticklers. What are the dangers of having it stored for about 8 months with no oil? The other two companies didn't mind the oil being in the bike.
Thanks

It won't hurt it in the least to sit without oil in the crankcase for ANY length of time.

The oil just sits in the pan...just make sure to put some back in the engine...before you
start it back up. Let it warm up for a few minutes before you ride it when you get back.

Also disconnect the battery...it would be best to put it on a battery tender while you are gone.

It won't hurt it in the least to sit without oil in the crankcase for ANY length of time.

The oil just sits in the pan...just make sure to put some back in the engine...before you
start it back up. Let it warm up for a few minutes before you ride it when you get back.

Also disconnect the battery...it would be best to put it on a battery tender while you are gone.

+1
The moving parts of the engine don't "know" if there's oil in the pan when its not running and the battery on a charger for 8 months in military storage probably isn't going to happen, I assume it would be easy enough to install a fresh battery and pour some oil in it upon retrieval. Also if there's no battery,someone with a bright idea won't be able to start it with no oil in it.

If you can't ship it with oil, I'm sure they're making you take the battery out too right? I wouldn't leave it in there anyhow. Just in case it leaks for any reason. Heat, cold whatever.

Right, but in storage...8 months on a tender isn't going to happen.

Explain, first time I ever heard of this.

I have several battery tenders, they charge the battery and turn off until the battery charge drops and they turn on and bring it back to full charge.

If I understand you correctly, a battery tender will not charge a battery which has a low level charge. Only maintain the low charge level.

Why would anyone buy one if it did not charge a battery? I must be missing something in this thread.

I have two of our training bikes on battery tenders the past two years and they start when we need them.

Battery tenders are designed to "maintain" a battery that already
has a full charge. They can bring a battery with a low charge back
up to a full charge, but this will take a LONG time.

Use a battery charger if your battery is dead :beerchug:

I've never tried to charge a dead battery with a Battery Tender. But after several repeated starts, light adjusting with motor at idle, then shut it off and put the Tender on it, took about 2 minutes for the red (charge) light to change to green (maintain). Left my Busa on the tender for almost 4 months last winter, no problems.
It won't hurt the bike to set without oil in it, and if you can't put the battery on a Tender, at least unhook it so the bike electronics doesn't drain it during the 8 months. When you get back, hook the battery up and put in on the B/T, add oil, and you should be good to go the next day.:thumbsup:

Back