oil filter removing wrench for hayabusa?

I've used the K&N filters, but Im going back to stock. Every time the nut stripped on the filter leaving me to go with the old screw driver method :banghead:

Last edited:
I change my filter every oil change. Cheap insurance.

The K&N won't work for me - not enough clearance.

Also the manual says to screw on the filter until the o-ring contacts and then 2 full turns with a wrench. Hand tightening is not enough IMO.

I like the pliers but they may damage the new filter when you install it.
I got a swivel handled band wrench and ground a little off one side for ease of getting it past my Orient Express headers.
It works real slick now.

This is what I use too!

I just bought one at Cycle Gear that fit the OEM filter, then took a bolt (9/16" head) and cut it down, sand blasted the areas around the filter socket where the bolt goes thru.....then welded the bolt to the filter socket. :) I have a Yoshimura SS header and the clearance is tighter than stock, can't even get a 3/8" ratchet in there to even put it on the filter socket to tighten. BTW the OEM socket size is 68mm.

I tighten it good'n'tight. :D

P

you guys are killing me. Do your selves a favor and go out and buy a K&N oil filter. Part number KN-138, cost is 12.99. These are the best, they have a 17mm nut on the end of the filter that a socket or open end wrench will fit on and make your lives so much easier. Plus, you only have to change them out every other oil change.

If you want one I have them in stock and ready to ship. You will never go back to OEM filters again.

KN-138.jpg

Josh

Ryders Connection

Exactly what he said...

i have one that fits over the end of the filter but the one i use is an old standard type one that my dad had at his shop. it's one that fits the old ford can type fuel filters. so outdated that you might not be able to find them but works great. ( with factory exhaust).

I just did my first oil change and stumbled across this when I was looking for a filter wrench. Found it at sears, it's relatively thin and small and worked really well, especially considering that I picked it up for right at $5.00

strap wrench (Medium).jpg

strap wrench side (Medium).jpg

The suzuki filter wrench is by far the best. Slip the cup over the end of the filter, use a 17mm wrench and it removes or installs your filter without leaving a mark.

Cost is under ten bucks. :thumbsup:

That is the one I use also. No problems at all. :thumbsup:

I won't use that K&N filter 'cause the stupid nut on the end strips off every damm time.

OEM filter and I use the plier type wrench. I just have to be careful making sure not to grab that filter too tight with the wrench. Works fine.

--Wag--

Only ever hand tighten the oil filter. Never had a leak. If they are hard to get off then I pierce them with a screwdriver and twist. It's a doddle.

+1 for not using the K&N again. Last night i stripped the nut trying to make the 2 full turns! I went to the dealer and got the OEM filter.

i only use the screwdriver to get it off if i cant get it with channel locks. then i thighten it hand tight and get about 1/16-1/8 of a turn on top of that to make sure its sealed good. never heard of 2 full turns to tighten a filter???. seems like overkill to me

Back