Oil Filter Change

some guys claim to be able to b ut I cant get my damned big hands in there with the fairing on

Very difficult and IMO not worth taking a chance at breaking something plastic.

You have to split the fairings at the bottom and reach up in there.

i think its possible but it would be messy, thats just me. Sometimes it gets messy enough with the fairings off.

I've done it twice. Split the bottom and remove the under belly panel supporting it on rags or the like. I have had the fairings off and fight them every time. Works fine just leaving them on for the oil change.

I've done it twice. Split the bottom and remove the under belly panel supporting it on rags or the like. I have had the fairings off and fight them every time. Works fine just leaving them on for the oil change.

Done mine several times. Same techniques. I know there is another member that showed (with picture) how to change the oil and gain access to the filter without removing the plastic. Do search on the subject. I used the step explained there.

Taking the one side off isn't that bad once you have done it a couple times. I don't think you can remove the filter without taking the fairing off with a full exhaust.

Can the oil filter be changed without removing the fairing? ???

At 75 miles I changed my oil. I followed the PP presentation on ExtremeBusa and removed all the fasteners including all the plastic push pins and steel bolts. But the right side fairing didn't seem to want to come loose. Not knowing how the tabs worked (up, down, sideways, etc.) I didn't force it. Then after pondering the problem I went and got a big pair of Channellocks. I worked them into the hole on the side of the fairing (without touching the fairing) where the oil filter is. After a few grabs and turns I had the filter loose. I then snaked my hand up inside the fairing and was able to remove the oil filter without removing the fairing, SWEET! Yes I had to use a little brake clean to get the oil off the pipes but no big deal. Next time I'll use some tin foil to prevent oil from getting on the pipes. But I do need to figure out the fairing tabs so I can change my exhaust this Spring. The pics in the ExtremeBusa DIY section oil change thread helped but it's still hard for me to see the tabs and which way they work?

I'm also going to install the oil filter relocator found on Brock's web-site:

http://prostores2.carrierzone.com/s...ocator-dsh-Suzuki-SUZ-dsh-1018-dsh-OFR/Detail

PS: Now that I've installed my oil filter I'll more than likely be able to take it off next time with just my hands. IMHO many people put the oil filter on to tight.

Yes 'pull the two bottom push pins the one next to the raidaitor the bolt next to the belly pan and the bolt on the side. A vicegrip filter wrench will fit thru the vent hole to loosen the filter then the fairing will pull out enough to get it the rest of the way out. Yes, you will spill some oil but not any more than you might with the fairing all the way off. It's easy enough to just wipe the pipes off when you are done.

You have to split the fairings at the bottom and reach up in there.

+1, I don't usually take the fairing all the way off for a filter change, but it has to be taken loose from the rear and bottom

Back