Can i change oil filter without draining oil?

hayachan

Registered
Did oil and filter change yesterday and for some reason (don't ask me how). It seem i damaged an Oring.
It doesn't leak but i noticed a small piece of oring squeezed outside of the filter housing.
However I've tried idling the bike for 10 minute, no leak. But i want to be on the safe side, can i only change the filter? Will it be lot of oil come out with the filter removed?

In worst case i have to drain the oil.
Cheers

Yes you can remove filter without draining oil. Some may come out but not much.
Just put new one back on or inspect o ring on that one for a pinched split or cut and if its ok place it back in it groove and replace same filter. Once you have filter back on visually check oil level. If a lot came out put a bit back in to make sure you don't run engine low on oil. If not much came out then just add back whatever came out of filter. Start it up, idle few minutes, check for leaks, shut off, wait a few for things to settle, check and adjust level to proper range.
How tight did you twist filter? Are you sure old gasket came off with old filter? Might be double gasketed.

You either over tightened it or...........you left the old gasket on the block and screwed the new filter and gasket on top of the old one. Do not ride it like it is. Remove the filter and correct it.

Yes you can remove filter without draining oil. Some may come out but not much.
Just put new one back on or inspect o ring on that one for a pinched split or cut and if its ok place it back in it groove and replace same filter. Once you have filter back on visually check oil level. If a lot came out put a bit back in to make sure you don't run engine low on oil. If not much came out then just add back whatever came out of filter. Start it up, idle few minutes, check for leaks, shut off, wait a few for things to settle, check and adjust level to proper range.
How tight did you twist filter? Are you sure old gasket came off with old filter? Might be double gasketed.

Thanks Blanca Busa,

I did it! Obviously There was a piece of Oring sticked to the engine, i did not notice it until i re-read your comment. Was a stupid mistake!
For the tighten, That's someting i'd like to ask. The first time i took it off it was very tight, so i did followed the manual with2 full turn after gasket touched(i guess i might have turn it a bit
more than that). and it's quite hard to remove. Look like i need a torque wrench?
What could be the worst case for overtighten the filter? Can i damage the engine?

Remember to take your finger and put some oil on it and lube the gasket before putting the filter back on. This will allow the gasket to move a bit as you tighten it so it seats right. Always check the seal seat on the engine after removing the old filter for old gasket parts. Clean this area well before putting the new filter on. I always snug it with a rag and my hand, that's it. Never had a leak in 8 years.

You have great advice above. Always make sure thet the old gasket is removed, and always lube the new gasket. Two turns is allot, but the Suzuki filter uses an O-Ring gasket that can handle it. I put painters tape on the filter once I feel it gently contact the block. That way I can see clearly the position. I would NOT want to exceed 2 turns.

Back