Oil change question

Tdog

Registered
I changed the oil and filter and according to the manual the Gen 2 holds 3.5 qts of oil with oil and filter change. When I added my oil the 3.5 qts put the oil even with the "F" in the sight glass. After starting the bike and letting it warm up to operating temp. to check for leaks, I turned it off and waited several minutes and now the oil level is just barely showing at the bottom of the glass. 3.5 qts is what the book say's should be in it and that's what's in there. Should I leave it alone or should I add more oil to get it back to the "F" mark?

I fill mine to the full mark cold. When it's hot it will go all the way to the top of the glass!

Here is a question for all you oil guru's?

Should your oil be checked hot or cold? :dunno:

I fill mine to the full mark cold. When it's hot it will go all the way to the top of the glass!

Here is a question for all you oil guru's?

Should your oil be checked hot or cold? :dunno:

Manual says to fill 3.5 quarts then warm up the bike for a few minutes then fill to line if necessary. So check it warm is what I would assume. So in the middle :thumbsup:

You can check it hot or cold but if you check it hot you need to give it ample run down fir the oil to return to the pan. The most accurate check is cold when all the oil has returned to the pan. I put a full 4 qts. in mine.

My question for you is this. . . Are you checking the oil while the bike is on the side stand or while a buddy is holding it up? I have a wheel chock I put mine in to check my oil.

DOH I just got sucked into another oil thread.

I have an 08 and always use 3.75 quarts, and that's including putting some in the filter before it goes on. It's always right at the high mark on the sight glass hot, and hardly drops any when the bike is cold.
I don't see how the window isn't completely full if you put 4 quarts in, not that it really matters, just curious.

If the oil is hot it will read much higher than when it is cold. Check your oil level when the bike is cold. All the oil will have run down to the crank case where it should be when you check the level. Balance the bike so it stands vertical and get your head down and look at the level. If you are not used to being in that position and are apprehensive about dropping the bike, definitely have someone else hold the bike up a/o put a block of wood under the side stand to help hold it in position. Also, it is true that the filter will soak up a significant amount of oil so you do need to run the engine a minute to fill the filter and check for leaks dripping under the bike. Then shut it off and check the level in a few hours when the motor is cold.

If the oil is hot it will read much higher than when it is cold. Check your oil level when the bike is cold. All the oil will have run down to the crank case where it should be when you check the level. Balance the bike so it stands vertical and get your head down and look at the level. If you are not used to being in that position and are apprehensive about dropping the bike, definitely have someone else hold the bike up a/o put a block of wood under the side stand to help hold it in position. Also, it is true that the filter will soak up a significant amount of oil so you do need to run the engine a minute to fill the filter and check for leaks dripping under the bike. Then shut it off and check the level in a few hours when the motor is cold.
Then nip off to the quack and have him put you on the latest medication for obsessive/compulsive disorder cos, brother, you need HELP!

Then nip off to the quack and have him put you on the latest medication for obsessive/compulsive disorder cos, brother, you need HELP!

He is right, what he forgot to tell ya'll is the bike corners much better if you check it that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have an 08 and always use 3.75 quarts, and that's including putting some in the filter before it goes on. It's always right at the high mark on the sight glass hot, and hardly drops any when the bike is cold.
I don't see how the window isn't completely full if you put 4 quarts in, not that it really matters, just curious.

I put the same in mine 3.75, And its at the full line after running.

I used to just dump all 4 in. Now I take better care and end up with a couple swallows left in the last quart.

Thanks for all of your comments. Sounds like 3.5 is not an exact amount. Think I will add more to get it back to the "F" mark.

4.5 qts all My bikes..always for Me!!

Dont go by the site glass ,if the bike is lowered it wont be right!!

I drag race My bike better to have to much than to little!!

Back