just a quick oil change question

justa-busa-girl

Registered
ive read all the imfo about being able to change the oil and filter without taking off the right side... i have it split on the bottom just like it said to do but it sure dont seem like much room to work, any way i assume i need a motorcycle oil filter wrench to remove the filter? are they uneversal or do i need to get it from suzuki? thanks for any imfo!!!

universal goto autozone and get the socket and...don't FORGET TO MAKE SURE THE ORIGINAL SEAL OFF THE FILTER IS NOT STILL ATTACHED TO THE ENGINE BLOCK.

I got the Suzuki wrench and it was about $5.00 at my dealer.

Do yourself a favor and pull the cowl completely off the right side.

Also, you can remove the oil cooler line. Be sure to grease the seal and torque to 84 in. pds.
thumb_up.gif

r8

117_1730paint05.JPG

next time get you a k&n oil filter, it has spot for regular fit wrench on top of it. alot easier to untigh the filter.

next time get you a k&n oil filter, it has spot for regular fit wrench on top of it. alot easier to untigh the filter.
thanks for all the advice guys!! yeah i already got a k&n to put on it we put tnem on all our vehicles!!! lol im a farm girl so i change alot of oil on lots of diffrent things including all my bikes and quads but this one is a real bugger!!! i dont mean to sound stupid but i always use a big plyer to get filters off, so if im sapose to buy one at the autozone like stated above what kind should i get the strap kind? or the socket like the first poster stated i dont believe im familure with the socket kind, i hope there is enough room to get it on the filter.. i might just have to do like dobbieman said and take the fairing off but id like to avoid that!!!

Fairing off. Not hard.
thumb_up.gif

I have used a strap style wrench. Some folks have driven a screwdriver into the filter then removed.

What ever works.

r8

Take the fairing off. Trust me.

A good pair of Channel-Locks is more than sufficient to loosen the filter.

No need to remove the oil line or anything else, once you figure out the correct orientation to insert/withdrawal the oil filter from behind the header down-tubes. It's definitely a snug fit, but once you learn the technique, the filter goes on/comes off without a lot of drama.

Take the fairing off. Trust me.

A good pair of Channel-Locks is more than sufficient to loosen the filter.

No need to remove the oil line or anything else, once you figure out the correct orientation to insert/withdrawal the oil filter from behind the header down-tubes. It's definitely a snug fit, but once you learn the technique, the filter goes on/comes off without a lot of drama.
+1

CLocks.jpg

well i got off my lazy butt and did it the right way and took the fairing off, mu hubby was at work so i did it alone, so all you guys that are afraid to do it quit being a wussy and take it off lol ...
tounge.gif
thanks for all the help everyone!!

I feel kinda effeminate now. Changed my oil for the first time this weekend without taking the fairing off. Took less than an hour and no problems, but I will forever feel less than a man!

taking the fairing off to change it took less than an hour too..dont worry critterdoc as time goes on youll start to feel better about yourself!!!
biggrin.gif

At first taking it off and putting it back on was a pain. After putting it back on and off to get comfortable with it, it takes NO time at all

Back