oil change question again

BUSAFETT

Registered
I lost the last thread so I'm asking again- aside from pulling the fairing, anything special to do on an oil change? My '05 is definitely due.

Thanks!

17mm socket or wrench, I think, maybe some Al foil to funnel the oil around the exhaust pipes.

No offense, but if I were you and had limited knowledge in general maintenance I would either have a friend there with me that is experienced or just take it to a shop and have the work done.

Sometimes taking a risk isn't worth it.
crazy.gif

Or rags below the filter so you have no oil on pipes. dont strip out the threads when you put the plug back in I cant believe how many posts there are about that.

(BUSAFETT @ Mar. 12 2007,22:27) I lost the last thread so I'm asking again- aside from pulling the fairing, anything special to do on an oil change?  My '05 is definitely due.

Thanks!
'05?
rock.gif

Please don't tell me this is the bike's first oil change ...

Thanks all- no this isn't the bike's first oil change.. the prior owner had it done at the dealer.

I've been doing oil changes on cars forever, and did the ones on my Katana too, so just wondered how diff this was.

Thanks!

The answer is "simple" - but there sure are a lot of screws to take off. The side faring comes off much easier than my Kawi 650R's - but there are 3 times as many screws to remove. Once they are all out the faring comes off easily (unlike the 650R where you have to do this wiggle thing to get the panel to "pop" loose).

It's a bit tight in the filter area though. I used the aluminum foil suggestion and was glad I did. Filter removal takes nothing more than care and the proper tools. Having one of those filter wrenches with a nut on the end and a thin ratcheting wrench to loosen it really helps.

Other than that - nothing to it!

I eventually used one of those caps that slides over your filter and accepts a 3/8" drive ratchet to get mine off. The dealership must have put the old one on with an air-wrench. Also, check to make sure the rubber o-ring with the old filter comes off with the filter. It sticks occasionally and you won't find out until you install the new filter if you don't check.

don't forget to check the reverse light fluid while you have the fairings off.
all_coholic.gif

(sully @ Mar. 13 2007,18:31) don't forget to check the reverse light fluid while you have the fairings off.
all_coholic.gif
Excellent point, I noticed mine was a little low after about 5k miles. The dealer was the only place I could gt the correct fluid...
all_coholic.gif

all_coholic.gif

(Powers739 @ Mar. 13 2007,18:01)
(sully @ Mar. 13 2007,18:31) don't forget to check the reverse light fluid while you have the fairings off.
all_coholic.gif
Excellent point, I noticed mine was a little low after about 5k miles.  The dealer was the only place I could gt the correct fluid...  
all_coholic.gif
what about blinker fluid though? mines low and i cant make any turns
tounge.gif

all_coholic.gif

Back