Oil and filter questions, not what you think

cyclefarm

Registered
2011 black Hayabusa with Yosh full 4-1 exhaust and 9k miles.

1. I changed the oil filter for the first time and I had to remove the end of one oil cooler line to get the filter out. Is this due to Yosh header or do you have to remove line to change filter with stock pipe too?

2. Previously I used Valvoline 10-40 dino motorcycle oil, just changed to Mobil 1 V-Twin 20-50 synthetic. May be coincidence, but I've since noticed a few times that the clutch is a bit grabby when starting out in low gear. Anyone have this happen before?

Off topic, gave my students a quiz today and question 14 was: What is the world's fastest production motorcycle? Over half of the class wrote Harley...lol

Gen II stock pipe no need to mess with cooler line to remove filter . Clutch is graby when cool ? low engine temp ?

I have the Yosh 4-1 as well, you can angle the filter slightly just as it clears the last threads and rotate it out without removing the cooler line.
Once you figure out the angle its simple!

I know you said gen 2 ,but on my gen 1 I could allways get the filter out past the Ti Force header , (I use Hasting Filters ) After it's last build to a 1441 I need to take off the oil line to get the filter out . I think that the header was turned just a little when installed to cut my clearance, you could have the same issue

Why are you using V-twin oil? Mobil 1 makes a full syn for racing sportbikes and that really works well with the stock clutch. I think it's 10-40 and I use it year round.

1. I change the oil myself, I'm a mechanic
2. Times I noticed it engine was up to op temp
3. I don't think there's any way I could get the filter out from between the header and oil lines. Will try harder next time.
4. The only Mobil 1 motorcycle oil in my neck of the woods is the V-twin stuff. Says on bottle OK for wet clutches.
5. The answer to quiz Q #14 is Hayabusa of course!!!
6. Thanks to all for your advice
7. Just got back from a 600 mi weekend ride to the antique motorcycle swap meet/race in Davenport, great time!! Saw lots of cool bikes, only one Busa, mine! Clutch worked fine, hmmmm

Where you from? We had a bike race in Eddyville that I went to.

FYI I use Mobil-1 5w20 car oil in my bike with no problems. The Busa clutch handles it fine.

Yep, I too have to remove the oil cooler line and that is with a Ti Force header.

Dennis: I'm near Humboldt, IA. There's a couple Hayabusas that race often at the Humboldt Co. Dragway, but not me.

ky busa: I use K&N filters, and it's close, maybe Suz filters are smaller.

smac: so I'm not the only one. Kind of a pain isn't it? Mostly worry about it leaking at the line afterwards. I bought my bike used with the exhaust installed, not positive it's a Yosh header but pretty sure it is (came with Yosh slipon).

Thanks guys!

With Brocks Dual CT you need to remove the line!

Dennis: I'm near Humboldt, IA. There's a couple Hayabusas that race often at the Humboldt Co. Dragway, but not me.

ky busa: I use K&N filters, and it's close, maybe Suz filters are smaller.

smac: so I'm not the only one. Kind of a pain isn't it? Mostly worry about it leaking at the line afterwards. I bought my bike used with the exhaust installed, not positive it's a Yosh header but pretty sure it is (came with Yosh slipon).

Thanks guys!

I go to Humboldt every so often. I was there for the 4th of July race and did ok. Dave Roisen and his brother are there fairly regularly, as is Shane, Dave's son, on his 1000. I think Osborn is a regular at Humboldt on his Busa. Why don't you run there?

Don't worry about the line leaking. It is a face seal o-ring so as long as you don't loose it you're fine.

I have a Ti-Force and use an oil filter for a Mazda and have to pull the oil cooler line. Would not use the V-twin oil if I had a chance. You will find that it is designed to be used in all the orifices of a Harley, primary, transmission and engine. IMHO it is better to use an oil that is designed for engine usage.

Answer to question 14 is the MV Agusta F4 R 312. The Busa stopped being the fasted production bike in 2000. 15 years ago.

Untitled_1.png

Well if you're going by what you posted, the Hayabusa went 194mph and the MV Augusta went 193.24, and did it in 2007. I know it doesn't really mean much because of the gentleman's agreement, but many sites claim the 99 Hayabusa to be the world's fastest production motorcycle.

Makes me wonder what my unrestricted 2011 would do. The 99 unrestricted went 194 in Cycle World test. The Gen 2 has more displacement, compression, injectors, streamlining. I think mine would do just over 200 mph, at least that's what I tell people :). Would love to try it someday but not on the deer infested roads around here.

Well if you're going by what you posted, the Hayabusa went 194mph and the MV Augusta went 193.24, and did it in 2007. I know it doesn't really mean much because of the gentleman's agreement, but many sites claim the 99 Hayabusa to be the world's fastest production motorcycle.

Makes me wonder what my unrestricted 2011 would do. The 99 unrestricted went 194 in Cycle World test. The Gen 2 has more displacement, compression, injectors, streamlining. I think mine would do just over 200 mph, at least that's what I tell people :). Would love to try it someday but not on the deer infested roads around here.

Hayabusa went 194 in 1999 and 2000, and hasn't since then, which means it went slower then the bikes listed the years after. SO it hasn't been the fastest production bike since 2000. Yes if they didn't have the Gentlemen Agreement it would go much faster, but that's what they get for entering a agreement. MV Agusta is not part of that agreement, so currently they are the fastest production bike. The Agreement screwed both the 14 and the Busa being able to be the fastest production bike unfortunately.

Well the question wasn't "what is the fastest production motorcycle since 2000." The question was: "What is the world's fastest production motorcycle...(ever)"

Anyway, you think what you think, I'll stay with what I think. I'm done with this one.

well its now near the end of 2015 and a production H2 with removed restriction did 204.7 mph in a standing mile over in the UK last weekend

I have the brocks CT megaphone and I don't have to remove the cooler line to remove the oil filter...I was under the impression that aftermarket exhaust (except sidewinders) did not interfere with oil filter removal..

Back