Ohlins FGRT208 worth it?

bigboy

Registered
Damn these boys are expensive. How much of a difference do they make in riding. For reference I do very aggressive street riding

Screenshot_20240320_213733_Chrome.jpg

Damn these boys are expensive. How much of a difference do they make in riding. For reference I do very aggressive street riding

View attachment 1680631
I say don't. Get yourself a set of gas charged Penske cartridges. Runs around the same and much better performance. I'm getting mine custom fitted next month. They don't list the Busa as an application but if you call and send your forks in they will build it to fit for a small charge. The difference in riding is massive , with the valving to match your weight and riding style.

The gas Penske sound good , but for fast street and fun track day the entry level Ohlins are pretty effective too , but not gas cartridge . I have been fortunate enough to own and use 3 sets of FGRT series , and recently scored another new set for one of my H2 to try out . I actually priced up the Superbike spec gas FGR300 - 301 series for my 1st H2 , which are about AU15K with import tax , then you need custom clamps and clipons , custom axle and other bits and pieces .... I put that off for another H2 .

I say don't. Get yourself a set of gas charged Penske cartridges. Runs around the same and much better performance. I'm getting mine custom fitted next month. They don't list the Busa as an application but if you call and send your forks in they will build it to fit for a small charge. The difference in riding is massive , with the valving to match your weight and riding style.
I have to look into those I haven't heard of gas cartridges

Gas cartridge as in needs charged every service? Which would be roughly how many miles?
Nitrogen?
I need to look into the cost of a nitrogen tank, and what is available to buy here.
So I can rebuild rear shocks.
Fork oil sounds simpler for the average guy.
However, I do understand what you mean about the Cadillac ride you searched for, and found, as stock, and even alot of aftermarket suspension setups have trade-offs of some kind.
To where the suspension performs better at certain speeds, and road and weather conditions, and even though still good, lacks elsewhere.
I respect the effort that had to go into finding a setup that is very good across the board, as of course that is not an easy thing to achieve.
I have looked at a few suspension companies, and Race-Tech seems to be reasonably priced with good quality.
I'm going to get a rear shock from them for my '03 Gsxr1k soon.
As for the forks, stock work well for me, for what they are, but; how much I should spend on stock fork upgrades is my current dilema, vs Race-Tech forks, vs how much more money I plan on dumping into a 20 year old 1k, lol

They probably make a big difference but the price is pretty steep, have you setup you current suspension to best fit your riding style? If not I'd go that route first before putting out that kind of dough.

The gas Penske sound good , but for fast street and fun track day the entry level Ohlins are pretty effective too , but not gas cartridge . I have been fortunate enough to own and use 3 sets of FGRT series , and recently scored another new set for one of my H2 to try out . I actually priced up the Superbike spec gas FGR300 - 301 series for my 1st H2 , which are about AU15K with import tax , then you need custom clamps and clipons , custom axle and other bits and pieces .... I put that off for another H2
FGR 300 is the dream! One day!

The gas Penske sound good , but for fast street and fun track day the entry level Ohlins are pretty effective too , but not gas cartridge . I have been fortunate enough to own and use 3 sets of FGRT series , and recently scored another new set for one of my H2 to try out . I actually priced up the Superbike spec gas FGR300 - 301 series for my 1st H2 , which are about AU15K with import tax , then you need custom clamps and clipons , custom axle and other bits and pieces .... I put that off for another H2 .
Yeah I realized that the 8lbs weight savings is another aspect of the ohlins I need so I'm gonna stick with them. Also I'll be sending the bike up to Carpenter Racing in a week or so. Also how much weight does is the pair valve? I've been researching how to remove it

They probably make a big difference but the price is pretty steep, have you setup you current suspension to best fit your riding style? If not I'd go that route first before putting out that kind of dough.
I agree , most people will find the stock forks to be good enough with adjust ability etc . The standard suspension in my case as example , is usually always replaced because of my weight , 130kg on bike . I do like the FGRT series Ohlins , these are bought - ordered sprung for your weight , and are very easy to setup and dial in over some favorite road rides , and they look pretty trick as bonus .

And are there any lightweight clutch covers and stator covers. I'm still searching for new weight loss ideas. I plan on putting it all together at once so I don't have to keep opening the bike up

Yeah I realized that the 8lbs weight savings is another aspect of the ohlins I need so I'm gonna stick with them. Also I'll be sending the bike up to Carpenter Racing in a week or so. Also how much weight does is the pair valve? I've been researching how to remove it
FGRT series are not 8lb saving over stock bro , but the unsprung billet carrier attached to stanchion is lighter .

You can get CeraCarbon replacement fork legs , that will lose a chunk I imagine . When you look at most USD forks , they all need a strong machined body , then the very strong usually steel stanchion , and most cases a cast - forged fork bottom carrier . So , even trick forks have to be very strong , so all this heaviness will remain if you do not replace the base assembly with exotic materials and billet etc. The more exotic , the bigger the price to pay .... sometimes you got to get what you can and make use of it .

You can get CeraCarbon replacement fork legs , that will lose a chunk I imagine . When you look at most USD forks , they all need a strong machined body , then the very strong usually steel stanchion , and most cases a cast - forged fork bottom carrier . So , even trick forks have to be very strong , so all this heaviness will remain if you do not replace the base assembly with exotic materials and billet etc. The more exotic , the bigger the price to pay .... sometimes you got to get what you can and make use of it .
Damn that's a new thing I've never heard of

Back