Suspension help

tntbusa

Registered
My '99 Busa's suspension has run it's course. I was wondering if anybody had advice on replacing it. I know ohlins shocks are the best out there but very hard on the wallet. I also was considering a Penske shock but they seem to be only a couple of hundred less than the ohlins. My final consideration is valving and springing the front and rear suspension with race tech goods. The race tech stuff is about the $1000 for the front and rear if I drop it off with them and let them deal with it. The ohlins is about $1200 for just the rear, and I still have to deal with the forks. I do all street riding and plan on the rare track day. I am leaning towards the Race Tech for the price and I know they build a good product. Has anybody done any of these, and if so any advice. Thanks

I put Racetech springs and Gold Valves in my forks and had Works Performance re-valve (what they call their "heart-transplant") the rear shock with their piston and valving, and respring it with an Eibach spring. I am EXTREMELY happy with it. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Did the full Race-Tech rebuild and have loved it ever since.

Go for it!

--Wag--

Which of our sponser sells the race tech products? I'm lookin to purchase some springs and a gold valve kit, and have my rear shock reworked also.

rear shock is good up to around 275 lb rider, no need to change it out otherwise.
ALL riders should get the forks re-done reguardless of weight, but beware, Ohlins is a name, not a phenominal product..

Ohlins is the best there is, but expensive overkill for the street. Race Tech springs and valving would, IMO, be your best bet for the money. Good stuff, think you'll be happy with that route.:thumbsup:

Ohlins, is deff. NOT the best out there. You pay for the name, and thats about it. You could start your own rear shock company and sell em for cheap and have the exact same performance as Ohlins, get an endorsement from MotoGP or AMA and make a killin from followers that swear by it. The product that Ohlins provides IS good. But when you can get the exact same product that hasent been combed over by the mainstream price hike, why wouldnt you. Aside from Ohlins and Penske, there are other great products out there.

Race tech isnt too shaby as stated above. Elka IMO is going to be second to Penske followed by Ohlins. Of course this is all opionated, and i'm sure that Ohlins has its dedicated followers on this site as well as many others. Relatively speaking they're all about the same especially in a street application. You MIGHT find a noticable difference on the track application, and for technicallity purposes aftermarket suspensions arent exactly street approved :) . Ohlins screams that aloud on there website and they're packaging as do most others. That being said, i suppose its all about preference and/or research. Like if you prefer paying LOTS more for a "not so superior product":laugh::laugh:

Thanks for the info. It looks like im going to order Race Tech internals for the front, and leave the rear alone for now.

I just installed racetech gold valves and springs. I can't believe the difference. If I bought a new busa I think I would change to racetech right away rather than wear out stock first.

Race tech isnt too shaby as stated above. Elka IMO is going to be second to Penske followed by Ohlins. Of course this is all opionated, and i'm sure that Ohlins has its dedicated followers on this site as well as many others. Relatively speaking they're all about the same especially in a street application. Like if you prefer paying LOTS more for a "not so superior product":laugh::laugh:

Just curious as to what background experience you may have that would justify your position? What suspension are you currently on?

Just had mine rebuilt by traxxion dynamics,custom built to my weight and the 6" stretch on my bike...total $250 give or take i forget the exact amount...the thing is beautiful,no need to spend 1k or more for a quality rear shock bro.sending my forks in if i dont sell the bike by winter.they will build it for any application,i had mine built for street use.

stock is black spring in pic and rebuilt is blue,theres a 1" spacer in there and the spring is rated for 1300lbs

new shock.jpg

Back