Officers of the org, what speed do you look for?

I saw years ago Oklahoma had some Hayabusa pursuit motorcycles painted in black and white.

Trust me, those guys are no good..... No skills, but they look good...

:rofl: I am glad "they" at least look good!

I was looking for an old picture of a Florida police dept parking lot full of fully marked Porsches but am unable to locate it. I doubt if it was a real police dept but the Busa police bikes made me remember seeing that years ago. (I couldn't see a Porsche having enough room to be practical at all as a police vehicle).

The guys around here hate the smaller cars...not much room in the back seat and cramped in the front with their gear.

"Trained" riders...:rofl:

Father in-law got a speeding ticket 2 weeks ago(highway).
He had cruise on 70 in a 65, then it dropped back to 60mph, he just forgot.
Didn't complain or argue, and Trooper told him anything 6mph or above.
4 to 6 troopers tend to concentrate on a 20 to 30 mile or so stretch of highway here for about 2 weeks, and write a lot of tickets. Then they're scarce for months, and repeat.
I saw 3 of them handing out awards within 16 miles last week, and 2 parked waiting.
Easy pickins'.

Sixpack, I wonder if the troopers have different numbers for different departments within the state then. Here they said the minimum to write for is 9 mph over. I figured that would be a state wide number, but I am sure it may change as needed also.

So again do you guys make any exceptions for bikes over cars as far as speed is concerned? I understand getting a ticket for speeding in town, thats something I just dont do but honestly I go the speed limit on the freeway and lightly traveled highways maybe 10% of the time. Does it make a difference at all if its a bike or a car?

One time in Utah on highway 89 between Ogden and Salt Lake I was stopped for speeding by radar. The officer also was a motorcycle rider and let me go with a verbal warning. One of the things he told me was to always keep moving through traffic a little faster than the flow so as to not get into a sitiation where you end up in a blind spot for a period of time. Something like that...

I just saw on CNN that the Dubai police just bought a Lamborgini as a chase vehicle for speeders. they said 0 to 60 in 2.9 seconds. Perhaps... in the hands of a skilled driver on a traction enhanced surface.

Cops on busas, tell me it's not so.:laugh:

OHP Busa.jpg

Sixpack, I wonder if the troopers have different numbers for different departments within the state then. Here they said the minimum to write for is 9 mph over. I figured that would be a state wide number, but I am sure it may change as needed also.

No idea, and don't wanna find out:laugh:

I usually don't even look twice unless it's 15 over. Sometimes if I just want to stop you I will stop for you for 5 over, and cut you loose if you are clean. I have let people go with verbal warnings that were travelling 40+ over the limit in a 30 mph speed zone, it all depends on how my day is going and how busy I am. I tend to give people with motorcycles and nice sports cars more breaks, but that's just me. I make a lot more stops for equipment violations than speed.

What are your thoughts about radar in inclement weather?

Let's take rain for example.

It used to be you didn't see any police cars at all running radar in the rain. Now I see cars that appear to be clocking in a fairly good rain.
Has technology changed to allow a better reading than before?
I had a trooper about 10 years ago tell me that the radar worked fine in the rain but since they were outside units they did not like to get them wet...and would pull them inside.

I have spoke with many officers in the past that say the rain does not adversely affect the radar performance, yet if inclement weather is abound I've seen tickets sometimes seems to be a little easier to beat in court.

What's the deal with radar and rain?

It depends on the unit and how hard its raining. I'm running a 20 year old Golden Eagle II and it does fine, but who the heck is getting out in the rain to get treated like crap :laugh:

Mine works in the rain just fine. But like Dad said, who wants to stand outside your car for 10 minutes while you look for your license.

What are your thoughts about radar in inclement weather?

Let's take rain for example.

It used to be you didn't see any police cars at all running radar in the rain. Now I see cars that appear to be clocking in a fairly good rain.
Has technology changed to allow a better reading than before?
I had a trooper about 10 years ago tell me that the radar worked fine in the rain but since they were outside units they did not like to get them wet...and would pull them inside.

I have spoke with many officers in the past that say the rain does not adversely affect the radar performance, yet if inclement weather is abound I've seen tickets sometimes seems to be a little easier to beat in court.

What's the deal with radar and rain?
I will put a few things to rest for those that might be interested.

rain will effect its range but not its accuracy. heavy rain or snow will only effect it slightly and that only applies to distance not accuracy. heavy rain and fog will affect a laser units accuracy tho. by how much I dont know. never tested it. police use doppler shift radar.

remember, federal guidelines as well as the IACP determine guidelines and standards that officers should be certified and trained in the use and operation of police radar and or laser. ud be surprised at how many just go out and run radar with zero training. if cited ull want to subpoena the officers training records to ensure he or she meets these minimum standards.

a few years ago someone challenged a troopers ticket here in CT and found that he was NOT certified in laser and his ticket was dismissed and so were hundreds of others....:whistle: radar training and laser training are usually offered together but a long time ago it was only radar so some of the old salty veterans dont have the laser training but go out and use it anyway.

make no mstake the police radar is extremely accurate. manufactures usually certify their units to (+) or (-) 1 mph.

and yes the cops radar gun can catch you moving in the opposite direction or coming up behind you.??? the radar gun has an internal computer that calculates these two droppler signals showing the vehicles speed.

the cop doesnt have to show you chit either. he does not have to show the radar or laser speed. that is an old wives tale. the #1 concern in all traffic stops is the civilians safety and the officer’s safety. there is no requirement for the cop to show you his radar gun if you request.

radar guns have speakers ito monitor the droppler radar tone so they can distinguish between a false reading and a true reading. as the speed of a car or bike that is tracked or increases the dropper tone should increase as well. as the speed decreases the tone should decrease. if you do challenge your ticket in court u might want to ask if he had the speaker of his radar gun activated and if so, did the displayed speed match the audio?

and btw, there are no devices sold here in the states today that will jam or scramble police radar. do they exist? yep. but get cought with one and ur lookn at a federal offense. it is a federal felony to possess, operate or sell these laser/radar jammers.

im often asked how far can a radar unit track a vehicle? I know for a fact that out in the mid west where there is nothing but road and sky troopers have tracked big rigs (5) miles out! of course ur gonna have to have a KA band radar unit to do this. but if a cop shoots u at these distances he will never be able to establish proper target identification and tracking history.

in new jersey case law was made as the courts decided a cop could not target vehicles past 1000 feet using laser. this is because the beams diverges and therefore anything past 1,000 feet with a laser gun could incorrectly target and track the wrong vehicle.

now drive fast and take chances.....:laugh:

Still use a tuning fork at 35 mph and 55 mph to verify calibration before use?
SC law requires it, you are not required to be certified, you are not required to lock ( show speed ) I believe in Georgia you are required by law to show when asked. Not sure about other states requirements.

So being honest, what speed do you guys typically run on the highways? Our beltway is 55mph and I have a hard time staying under 85-90mph on my speedo which I believe is off by about 10 so I guess that would actually be 75-80. If the roads open in front of me, I can't help but to twist the throttle a little and seldom do I just flow behind cars. I usually will work my way forward as openings develop moving ahead and away from the surrounding traffic as much as I can. I can't be the only one?! And when traffic/roads permit I'd be lying if I said I won't open her up to 150'ish on occasion. How about the rest of you?

I'm skeered of tickets so 55 and below I go 5 over indicated, 55-65=10 over indicated, 70 plus, up to 15 over indicated depending on traffic flow. Of course that doesn't include "Wild hair up my arse" moments.

Back