Another Keystone Cops speeding ticket beaten.

TallTom

Registered
I was in the Keys last October for Fantasy Fest. Drove down. 3 people in a car. Got pulled over in Marathon by Barney Fife. I clocked you doing 83 in a 55 sir. Tell you what I am going to do you a favor and only write you for 70 in a 55. Save you lots of money...yadda yadda yadda.

Long story short.

I requested a hearing and just returned from it. Yes I beat the ticket. The interesting thing I saw was that there were a lot of attorneys there representing these tickets from a LOT of drivers. I was on my way out of the courthouse and had an attorney strike up a conversation with me. He said, we don't get many that go to your trouble to fight these. You did good. I asked how much of this type of work he got as an attorney. He said TONS of it. These guys write a LOT of bogus tickets because they know that 95% of the tickets are written to out of towners that can't afford to fight them without the hassle of courts etc. Its a cash cow to write these tickets for Monroe County. So the attorneys have figured out that they can make decent change by arguing for these out of towners.

The cop was sort of stunned I drove 7 hours to fight a ticket. He was visibly surprised when I stood up when the case was called. He was even more stunned that it took me about 5 minutes to prove he had no clue of how fast I was travelling based on the law he was required to follow in citing me.

Guys you need to realize, these cops are running a great racket. If we don't make them do thier jobs they simply won't. And the attorneys also know that there are a LOT of sloppy cops that have no business writing the tickets they do.

Realize that that $187 ticket to the local LEO will also cost you much much more in insurance fees over the next several years. Don't be afraid to to fight. You bet it is a hassle to do. They bank on that when they write your ticket.

I have yet to even be pulled over on my Busa. And I actually do speed on that sometimes....**cough cough**

The Keys, as in Key West??? DAM!!! I will be a regular vistor down there starting in a few motnhs.

Yes those Keys. Key West is the southern and western most Key. You have to travel through all the other Keys to get to Key West. Overseas Highway is the main route in and out and the cops run it like a cash register. From Marathon down it is the only possible way to get to and from the rest of the lower keys. Above Marathon there is s secondary road that I can't recall offhand the designation but it is pretty obvious when you see it since there are only like 2 roads of any size there.

Key West is a LOT of fun but only takes about 3 days to see everything that isn't party related. When the time comes to go there and have fun, make your way to Irish Kevins on Duvall St. Duvall is the party street. and there are lots of places to enjoy but Irish Kevins is the best kept secret there. For some reason it seems to attract girls that like to take off thier tops for no particular reason than to see if you like what they have to show you.....
beerchug.gif

(boazalmighty @ Feb. 14 2007,06:27) have quick can you cross the 7 miles bridge on the busa?
Yes everything can use 7 mile bridge. It is the only way in and out from there. Its a great bridge. The water is gorgeous. Took my cruiser on the last trip to the keys. It is a very nice bike trip to tour the Keys by bike. Way more practical in Key West to be on a bike. Easier to get around and park. Cars are a hassle in Key West.

(boazalmighty @ Feb. 14 2007,09:27) have quick can you cross the 7 miles bridge on the busa?
No! Its a wooden raft that is towed by Manatees for the 7 miles! You have too sit under a thatched roof hut and drink Cuba-Libra's while Jimmy sings Cheeze Burger in Paradise!! With bongos in the background! One way 6 hrs X 1 BIG Hangover. Been there many times!! 
all_coholic.gif

We've driven to Key West so many times, I know the landmarks all along the way...fortunate to never get a ticket...

We did fork over some cash for the old marriage license in Monroe County 13+ years ago; guess we paid our FL Keys dues
tounge.gif

Glad you beat the ticket; worth the trip...there are worse places to go
laugh.gif
Damn, now I want to be down there! Been a while... *sigh*

(TallTom @ Feb. 14 2007,09:12) Yes those Keys.  Key West is the southern and western most Key.  You have to travel through all the other Keys to get to Key West.  Overseas Highway is the main route in and out and the cops run it like a cash register.  From Marathon down it is the only possible way to get to and from the rest of the lower keys.  Above Marathon there is s secondary road that I can't recall offhand the designation but it is pretty obvious when you see it since there are only like 2 roads of any size there.

Key West is a LOT of fun but only takes about 3 days to see everything that isn't party related.  When the time comes to go there and have fun, make your way to Irish Kevins on Duvall St.   Duvall is the party street. and there are lots of places to enjoy but Irish Kevins is the best kept secret there.  For some reason it seems to attract girls that like to take off thier tops for no particular reason than to see if you like what they have to show you.....
beerchug.gif
Just be careful which side of the Duvall St. you are on. about 10 years ago a friend and I were in a bar about 10:00pm lights are low, we are watching the singer, great voice, long legs, short skirt, tight top, the it turned around and WTF its a dude, 5 oclock shadow and all. Needless to say we got out of there. Once we were outside somebody told us that the street was seperated, one side for the fruits and the other was straight.

Hey just wonderin-- did you go in and cop a plea-- what was your defense? Just wonderin if its the same or close to here in TX.

(RCKTMAN @ Feb. 18 2007,05:21)
lurk.gif
lurk.gif

OH BOY, ANOTHER CROOKED COP THREAD, I LOVE THESE.
It has to be someones fault
laugh.gif
But I'm sure there are a few bad apples.

lurk.gif

(heavybusa @ Feb. 18 2007,13:17)
(RCKTMAN @ Feb. 18 2007,05:21)
lurk.gif

lurk.gif

It has to be someones fault  
laugh.gif
  But I'm sure there are a few bad apples.
i take it you are pickin up what im puttin down HEAVY B?

lurk.gif

(RCKTMAN @ Feb. 18 2007,02:21)
lurk.gif
lurk.gif

This ones even better. It includes dumbazz cops that don't know what the heck they're doing.
laugh.gif

lurk.gif

(boazalmighty @ Feb. 14 2007,06:27) how quick can you cross the 7 miles bridge on the busa?

cant friggin spell
Two minutes, and twenty seconds, give or take a second or two..........AND if ya give me the bridge to myself !!!!
super.gif

(Suijuris @ Feb. 18 2007,05:45) Hey just wonderin-- did you go in and cop a plea-- what was your defense? Just wonderin if its the same or close to here in TX.
Heck no I didn't cop a plea.  I pleaded not guilty and questioned my accuser before a judge.  I only learn the laws in the area I live in but the standards of the law are pretty close to a standard that seems to be followed in other states.

You can call it what you want as far as dirty cops etc.  Lazy can certainly apply.  So can cocky and arrogant.  Look the ability to write tickets is part of a cops performance review.  Plus they generate revenue for thier jurisdiction.  Quota is not a fair word to use, but ticket writing is a component of thier job performance and if its easy money nobody on thier side is going to complain if we pay the tickets.

I had 2 other people  in the car with me.  Everyone of us was absolutely positive we were no where near 80.  70 was closer to the truth yes.  But he didn't claim he clocked me at 70.

All I needed him to do was commit his claim to evidence (the citation).  My job was to bring about reasonable doubt in the judges mind.   The cop made it pretty easy since the cop was running his mouth before the hearing and the judge had already called him on being loud and disrespectful in the court hallways before either of them even knew I was there.  Then I simply started making him answer questions relevant to his use of the radar and the judge stopped me in about question 4 and said he didn't need to hear any more and dismissed the case.

The other cops laughed out loud when the judge did that.  Kinda like "Dude you got busted see ya later for lunch" kinda thing.

Back