NYPD Officer's Act of Kindness Goes Viral

SLO MO

Registered
A small gesture, but if we all looked out for the next person things would be a lot better I give this Officer :thumbsup:

NYPD Officer's Act of Kindness Goes Viral on Facebook and Reddit - ABC News

By CHRISTINA NG (@ChristinaNg27)
Nov. 29, 2012
A New York Police Department officer's act of kindness has gone viral online thanks to a photo snapped by a passing tourist.

Jennifer Foster of Florence, Ariz., was visiting Times Square with her husband on Nov. 14 when she spotted a shoeless man asking for change. Foster is the manager of the Pinal County Sheriff's public safety communications center.

"Right when I was about to approach, one of your officers came up behind him," Foster wrote in a message to the NYPD. "The officer said, 'I have these size 12 boots for you, they are all-weather. Let's put them on and take care of you.' The officer squatted down on the ground and proceeded to put socks and the new boots on this man."

Foster said that the officer did not know she was watching and she took a photo.

"I have been in law enforcement for 17 years. I was never so impressed in my life. I did not get the officer's name," Foster wrote. "It is important, I think, for all of us to remember the real reason we are in this line of work. The reminder this officer gave to our profession in his presentation of human kindness has not been lost on myself or any of the Arizona law enforcement officials with whom this story has been shared."

The officer has since been identified as Lawrence DePrimo, 25, of Long Island.

DePrimo joined the NYPD in 2010 and lives with his parents. He has been shocked by the attention he has received and did not know about the photo or that it was going to be posted online, DePrimo told the New York Times.

"It was freezing out and you could see the blisters on the man's feet," DePrimo told the paper. "I had two pairs of socks and I was still cold."

DePrimo found out that the man, whose name he does not know, wore a size 12 shoe. He went into a Skechers shoes store and bought the all-weather boots for $75. DePrimo said the man was thrilled with the boots and went on his way.

DePrimo told the Times that he has kept the receipt in his vest pocket "to remind me that sometimes people have it worse."

When contacted by ABCNews.com, DePrimo said he had to get permission from the NYPD before he could comment on the story.

It's what folks use to do for people whether they needed it or not. It's called HELP..God Bless All Their Souls...

I saw this yesterday and thought it was so nice. Its always good to here about the kindness people still in them. Congrats to him :thumbsup:

Its gonna take more people like that to really make a difference, I know alot of times cops get a bad rep but this is a shining example of what "Protect & Serve" means :clap:

It about time some positive things hit the spotlight for the men in blue. Im sick of all the ignorant cop haters and their negative crap.

Its gonna take more people like that to really make a difference, I know alot of times cops get a bad rep but this is a shining example of what "Protect & Serve" means :clap:

+1000 on this comment To serve the Public instead of alienating them.

I remember a poll and interviews done in Virgina Beach area many years ago with the homeless population.
It turns out that about 70% of them choose that kind of lifestyle.
They show distrust in their families/government and society in general and choose to live their lives off the grid.
For those who choose to live that life, if you want spare change, get a spare job.

Unfortunatly I cannot tell the diffence from those social rejects to those who really are in hard time and do need help from others. Those down on their luck like that, I really would not mind helping.

Back