NOT YOUR REGULAR TIRE THREAD..... Read on

OB_valklex

Registered
First, I don't like changing tires because the hassle it is and the damage done to the wheels, and second, I don't need a 190+ mph tire because I never going to get remotely close to that speed. I had a blackbird, and those tires (I don't remember which ones were they) were perfectly fine for my riding.
Now the question: out of the many Z-rated tires available to the sane public, which of the following is the longest lasting tire (#1), with the best available grip (#2)
michelins TX200 or macadam X90
dunlop D207
bridgestones BT56ss, BT57, BT54
Avon Azaro
Pirelli Dragon
what about others?
Thanks!

Valklex;
you are about to get 400 differnet answers from 400 different people.
I just say this match the front and back you will be happier that way.

Ps/I was going to e-mail you but you are here got a busa in today will check the item in question tomorrow or saturday will let you know.

Macadems will last the longest but I wouldn't trust the grip with 150+ RWHP they'd slide too easily even with moderate riding.

The most grippy tyre that will give you respectable mileage is the Avon Azaro, followed by (less grip) Pirelli Dragon Evo GTS.

Johnny: Thanks for working on that issue. By the way, I always change both tires, regardless of tread life left in front.
Danger: To get 150+ RWHP you need full throttle and redline rpms. I'm never there, and the few times I get to 150mph is in a straight line, and 8K rpm are enough. All I need is a regular Z-rated tire, and in the twisties I probably use 75% of cornering clearance maximum. Keep the comments going!!!
PD. I didn't post this in LABusas because all I was going to get posted were fingers.
I have two daughters who need me, and there is not a single road in this crappy town I can go to even 150 mph in a safe manner. I bought the busa because it's the best sport touring bike, not because it can reach 190mph.

[This message has been edited by valklex (edited 24 February 2000).]

You can't possibly change tires on a bike like this by hand, do you? If you have access to proper machinery for changing tires, then it really isn't that much work, and the chance of damaging rims is practically nil. If you're doing it with screwdrivers, Schwinn-style, shame on you. Spring the ten bucks and have a shop mechanic do it right. He won't damage your rims, and he'll appreciate the business.

Mr. Bear,
You can change tires on the Busa by hand. I changed the rear tire last summer. It's never fun and I would not suggest that you try this on your Busa. Practice on some old beater of a motorcycle if you really want to try it.

Larry

Bear, I never said I was going to do it by hand. Simply put, the more times you change your tires, the more chances for wheel damage (it has happened with my car's wheels as well). People don't give a **** anymore, regardless how sophisticated the machinery is (I wish I could rent it). That's the reason I minimize it, not to mention the hassle of removing the wheel and putting everything back together, chain adjustment, etc. etc. Apparently bridgestones are not a very good choice for bikes.
Keep the comments coming guys!

I use MEZ4's. You never hear much about them but from what I've heard they give good performance and very long life.

I have been running the Mich's 90x on my FZR 1000 for the last 4 years. They wear excellent . I got 8000+ miles out of one set. Yes, they do slide a little easier than some, but I have ridden them down to were the Michelin man lost his head, if you know what I mean. If you chose this tire use extra caution in early spring or late fall when the blacktop is cool. These tires warm up really slow. I will probably get a set for my 'Busa when replacement time comes. My riding style is comparable to yours Valklex. If you are looking for a good touring tire I think you will be satisfied with the 90X's.

Well Bob, you may have a good point but go check out Freddy Spencers web site under Freddy Spencers Products, click on engine systems and scroll down to suzuki gsx1300r and click again.The tires he recommends for the Hayabusa is the Michelin Pilots sports. If these tires werent safe Freddy wouldnt be recommeding them. I use em and have been fast on em. It just goes to show that there is more than one opinion out there.

here is the url.........
http://www.spencermotorcycles.com/frameset.htm

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 25 February 2000).]

[This message has been edited by VegasDude (edited 25 February 2000).]

Highpwr, I had two Honda CB360T's in high school and college, and changed tires on those by hand all the time. I got pretty good at it, but when I "moved up" to a GS1100E, I vowed not to go cheap on maintenance again.

I always bring a loose wheel into a dealership, I don't want to leave my bike with some 18-year-old kid. But I buy the tire from them, take it to the Service Department, and have them mount it; piece of cake. If you find a local Suzuki dealership where the guys know your face, they aren't going to ding up your rims. For tire-mounting, my screwdrivers go no farther than my ten-speed. If you want to be cheap, the Busa is not the right bike to own.

Larry, let me ask you a question, since you changed your back tire by hand;
Is the bead on the tire perfectly symmetric, or does it have a nice little wobble to it?

Vegas Dude, I called the Bridgestone's phone mumber to ask questions about the busa tire and why the suzuki company recommends it. They gave me alot of the same info that came from the several dist I spoke with. I got the number after the tire dist techs told me the same story. I hand to ask the manufacture myself. U may be right, and I may be wrong. Maybe their just trying to endorse only their product. I'm not sure. Ride on!

That is my feeling. Tires and drive chain are probably the two most important parts of a motorcycle from a safety standpoint. Most of my riding on my Busa will be sport touring also, although it may see a drag strip and a track in its lifetime. For the time being it is mostly going to be ridden to work on the freeway, not exactly where you use 160 horsepower.

But tires and drive chain are two areas where I want to do the maintenance as "right" as I possibly can. If you have rapport with the professional mechanics at a dealership, they aren't going to screw up your rims. They have the right equipment, and they change tires every day, they are good at it.

Tires and chain are just not the places to cut a corner on maintenance. When I was in high school, with lots of spare time and hardly any money, dealing with a 35 horsepower bike and $40 tires, I didn't care if I put a kink in the bead of my tire by mounting it with a couple screwdrivers. It stayed on and rolled down the road okay. But with a $10,000 bike, it is a matter of pride, as well as safety, for me to do the maintenance really right...never mind the horsepower.

D-205 Z rated (sport tour)I have these tires on my ZX11 with about 5K on them and the tires show no wear. Dunlop claims 25 to 30% more wear. These handle better than the original sportmax. I'm a very aggressive rider (high speed and hard cornering. Excellent tires!

Koz

[This message has been edited by Bill Koz (edited 25 February 2000).]

Valklex, I have a lot of miles on Michelin Macadam 90s, and quite a few on TX 15/25s, also by Mich. If I intended to cross the country non-stop, then return on the original tires, I'm confident that the 90s could do that. Their grip is not quite up to the TX15/25, but they last longer, and I've trusted them to 155mph.They would not be my first choice as an all around tire, though.

Sport Rider ran a tire test a couple of months ago. One of the test bikes was an R1, which is at least as hard on tires as a Busa.
The clear-cut winner of the test was the Michelin Pilot Sport; not by a little, but by a lot. The Bridgestone didn't fare very well.
The only downside to the Pilots was a slow warmup. The wear seemed to be pretty good.

I replaced my first front tire with an OEM at 7600 miles. Last week, at 9800 miles, I had a Pilot Sport put on the rear. The 4 prior rears were all OEM Bridgestones. Haven't had a chance to really evaluate the Mich. yet, but will probably switch the front fairly soon and stick with them. I want all of the grip I can get, since I spend a lot of time at high speed in the twisties.

When I take my wheels down to the local shop to have a new set of tire put on I always either bring a order of Burger King meal or give the guy a $5.00 bill and tell him it's his lunch money and I also tell him to take care of my rims and you'll be surprise how careful they do my tires,no scratches.I also ask them if they would use those plastic rim saver protectors on my rims.The guys at RoadRiders San Jose normal do a great job,talk to Phil.

I'm running Metzler MEZ3's. Nobody I talk to likes Bridgestones. If your running "Z" speed rating tires then you shouldn't have insurance problems.

Find a good wrench and treat him well. Sooner or later you're going to need a favor. I do a fair bit of my own work but tire mounting is not one of them.

[This message has been edited by Lyle (edited 25 February 2000).]

Cisco that is some sound advice on the pre-tip to the tire tech.

OKy BOB - The tire selection of the Pilot Sports is a fine choice (neither RIGHT or WRONG).

If you like the OEM tires, bless your heart and soul.

The Pilots outright rock and roll, the sluggish Busa takes on a new character with the Pilot Sports. See if you can ride another Busa with other than OEM tires. Remember the educated office types you spoke to probably drive a BMW car to work and do not ride a Busa. Their opinions are based on fact and a dollar incentive. Bridgestone sells tires and Suzuki sells OEM replacements at $300 a clip. Last spring/summer there was a tire shortage and the Dealerships hosed many a member, especially with the "fear factor" plugged in regarding your above mentioned points.

Will state farm drop a claim because I use other oil, chains, or sparkplugs. Or would they prefer I ride a bald tire while I wait for an OEM replacement.

PILOT SPORTS all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great comments. Some of you high speed freaks out there need to understand that there are some of us that use the busa as a regular sport touring bike. My tires will never see the HP this bike has (again, only obtainable at full throttle and redline rpms). Mr. Bear, again, money is no object for me (thank God); I'm not trying to save it. But same as Lyle, I will NEVER change my tires by hand. The tip/lunch idea is great; I will do that for sure, and it puts more pressure on them to do a good job. As far as my riding preference: sport riding. I think the longest lasting Z-rated tire is always going to give me decent grip. I am more inclined to the michelin or dunlop so far. I'm curious what is the concensus to warm up a tire, like the comment on the X90 (high speed driving? Weaving continuously?). I usually travel 120 miles to get to the twisties, but they are at 8,200 ft elevation and it is quite cool up there (50's). How long does it take a tire to cool down? Thanks a lot for the very useful info.

Back