No more Hemi for Ram

Bumblebee

Donating Member
Registered
Ram has discontinued the 5.7 Hemi in their Rams and have gone to a 3.0 straight six twin turbo Hurricane engine..

There are two versions one being an HO which puts out over 500hp...

They seem like a stout engine but the sound is nothing to generate any excitement....

At least Ford pipes in V-8 sounds into their cabins....maybe Ram will as well...

Even though the six outperforms my Hemi.....I will keep what I have.

On one of the videos I watched, a mechanic pointed out the position of the turbos and what a pain in the rear they'd be to replace or repair if need be...and they need premium fuel to make the hp figure...

My F150 has the V6 twin turbo, and I really like it. It's the preferred engine in the F150
I know several people who have the ecoboost engine and they seem to like them....

A couple are having issues with their new trucks but that can happen to any brand.

One of my former colleagues is on his second Raptor with the HO engine with zero issues so far. He hates the sound of it but loves the power so the two off-set each other he said.

I figure the Hurricane engine should be good as in line sixes have historically been known to be tough.

I always liked the inline 6's. Chevy used a 250 inline that before smog controls muzzled it in the 70's was very torquey and fun to drive. Pontiac made a 230 overhead cam straight six that ran a four barrel carb and factory header style manifold that made 230 hp. Not big numbers today but very usable power ; it made Sprint Firebirds and Tempests a blast to drive.

I always liked the inline 6's. Chevy used a 250 inline that before smog controls muzzled it in the 70's was very torquey and fun to drive. Pontiac made a 230 overhead cam straight six that ran a four barrel carb and factory header style manifold that made 230 hp. Not big numbers today but very usable power ; it made Sprint Firebirds and Tempests a blast to drive.
I grew up on a farm and we had a couple F-100s with in line sixes and three on the tree.....they were awesome engines with torque for days...we used to pull hay wagons with them...

I remember having blocks on the pedals so I could drive them on the farm...

I read that BMW also uses an unrelated inline six 3L twin turbo with the same transmission as the '25 Ram...crazy to think the Ram has something in common with a BMW

I know several people who have the ecoboost engine and they seem to like them....

A couple are having issues with their new trucks but that can happen to any brand.

One of my former colleagues is on his second Raptor with the HO engine with zero issues so far. He hates the sound of it but loves the power so the two off-set each other he said.

I figure the Hurricane engine should be good as in line sixes have historically been known to be tough.
They seem to be hit or miss. My friend’s F150 started leaking coolant from some turbo fittings at 130k miles and I found myself wrenching on that because you need skinny hands or a lift to remove the cab to make space. My sister recently bought a 2017 expedition and every time it sat for a few hours, it would rattle like hell at startup and had 2 coolant leaks. It’s a common issue and, thankfully, ford was willing to cover the $5000 dollar repair. On the other hand, some friends have some 3.5 eco boost engines with over 200k miles and still going strong.

They seem to be hit or miss. My friend’s F150 started leaking coolant from some turbo fittings at 130k miles and I found myself wrenching on that because you need skinny hands or a lift to remove the cab to make space. My sister recently bought a 2017 expedition and every time it sat for a few hours, it would rattle like hell at startup and had 2 coolant leaks. It’s a common issue and, thankfully, ford was willing to cover the $5000 dollar repair. On the other hand, some friends have some 3.5 eco boost engines with over 200k miles and still going strong.
Both of the guys having issues is something to do with the transmission mapping....even Ford isn't sure how to fix the issue but one of them heard they were going to replace a few modules to see if that fixes it.

Both trucks are Tremors with the 3.5 eco.....so I figure it was some sort of manufacturing defect....

Both of the guys having issues is something to do with the transmission mapping....even Ford isn't sure how to fix the issue but one of them heard they were going to replace a few modules to see if that fixes it.

Both trucks are Tremors with the 3.5 eco.....so I figure it was some sort of manufacturing defect....
Oh, you just reminded me, one coworker started having shifting issues and ford couldn’t figure it out so he traded in on a newer truck. His first was a 5.0lL though, not an ecoboost.

Oh, you just reminded me, one coworker started having shifting issues and ford couldn’t figure it out so he traded in on a newer truck. His first was a 5.0lL though, not an ecoboost.
Probably share transmissions...

Oddly enough both trucks are doing the same thing but are 6 months apart in build date.....and both started having the issue from the first day.

Both guys thought it was normal at first....

Hard pill to swallow for a $90k truck...

Probably share transmissions...

Oddly enough both trucks are doing the same thing but are 6 months apart in build date.....and both started having the issue from the first day.

Both guys thought it was normal at first....

Hard pill to swallow for a $90k truck...
I know, right?!! I would be pissed.
I wanted a bigger truck but no way I was going to spend that kind of money on a vehicle so I just went and bought a little Tacoma. Don’t regret it, so far. I would’ve loved a 2500 Cummins with the 6 speed manual, but once they stopped offering the manual in 2018, the prices on the used ones went pretty high.

I know, right?!! I would be pissed.
I wanted a bigger truck but no way I was going to spend that kind of money on a vehicle so I just went and bought a little Tacoma. Don’t regret it, so far. I would’ve loved a 2500 Cummins with the 6 speed manual, but once they stopped offering the manual in 2018, the prices on the used ones went pretty high.
My wife gave me the nod to replace my Ram with a new ('24) Rebel but in all honesty I don't drive mine enough as it's a 2016 with 70,000kms on it and most of those were put on the first couple years...

That Rebel was a real beauty though...

My wife gave me the nod to replace my Ram with a new ('24) Rebel but in all honesty I don't drive mine enough as it's a 2016 with 70,000kms on it and most of those were put on the first couple years...

That Rebel was a real beauty though...
With today’s prices, I don’t feel like it’s worth buying another vehicle just because. Unless you have a lot of issues with your current one or your vehicle is totaled.

With today’s prices, I don’t feel like it’s worth buying another vehicle just because. Unless you have a lot of issues with your current one or your vehicle is totaled.
A friend of mine just bought a new Raptor for $134K.....he had one before but once it got up to 70,000kms, he traded it for a new one...

Another person I know has a Ram TRX that he paid around $130K for it and he treats it like a work truck, it is filthy inside and out...and he does as little maintenance to it as humanly possible.....it's sad to see....

Does anyone know why they dropped Dodge as a name for their trucks? They used to just be Dodges and the top model was the Ram.
Pretty sure it was just a marketing maneuver, thinking the focus on each brand would be better. I found it kind of odd, but they sell a lot of vehicles. I think the reason is Dodge has the best body designers and the others copy to some extent.

A friend of mine just bought a new Raptor for $134K.....he had one before but once it got up to 70,000kms, he traded it for a new one...

Another person I know has a Ram TRX that he paid around $130K for it and he treats it like a work truck, it is filthy inside and out...and he does as little maintenance to it as humanly possible.....it's sad to see....
I’ll pass on those prices.

Back