Ram air system blocking?

hendrixgr

Registered
Hi.
Lately as my 2007 turbo bike exceeded 100,000 Km mark and it is still in perfect health, i started thinking about possible aerodynamic upgrades that will actually add something to the top speed.
One thing that is eating me is the ram air intake at the front of the bike, since the bike is turbo there is no real need for the ram intake system which i suspect it adds aerodynamic drag.
Has anyone tried to block the ram intake or make smooth the frontal area for less drag?
I have already planned for mirror removal and installation of a rear view camera since i can't see anything in the mirrors except my elbows (my height is 6 4'' and i weigh 290 pounds...)
I have also removed the plastic front lower fairing air deflector (where the two fairing halves meet at the front near the front wheel at the lowest point) that directs air to the oil radiator which i don't have and was blocking air circulation to the under side of the engine, namely the oil filter, the turbo and the oil sump.
Any opinion even negative will help!
Chris

Last edited:
Maybe you could get someone to do a fibreglass top fairing with the ram air deleted , or maybe someone could plastic weld the oem fairing and do some reshaping .
Hi. Go to my post (my very slow build) there are photos of my CF 3/4 reinforced with Fiberglass 3/4 upper. It has the ram air blocked off You can get them from DME. I buy a lot of parts from them for my LSR/street bike.

Thank you very much for your help!
Strangely i didn't received any email about your answers, glad that i remembered to look (i am old now...)
Well i can fabricate something or buy this wonderful carbon fiber upper fairing but what i need to know is that if this mod gives any real aerodynamic advantage at high speeds.
Has anyone noticed any performance increase at high speeds?
Thank you again, Chris.

"Hi. Go to my post (my very slow build) "
Nice build!
Well i almost did what you did but on a tighter budget and of course i omitted many components used for reducing weight, my budget was 8-9K so i had to look for used parts mostly.
It took me 7 year to build mine as i like it and now every time something brakes i always go for an upgrade.
So far i have upgraded the front fender to carbon, the clutch master cylinder with a brembo because of the 6 stronger clutch springs, new brake lines (i need to find a better rear brake master cylinder, it needs a lot of foot pressure to brake the rear wheel), the battery with a lithium one, the front lights with led bulbs etc.
have a look here Finally i went turbo | Turbo
Since then i have installed water injection power commander, autotune, pistons, rods studs and many other small upgrades, the power now is 400hp but i rarely go faster than a scooter on the road any more...
Chris

Last edited:
"Hi. Go to my post (my very slow build) "
Nice build!
Well i almost did what you did but on a tighter budget, it took me 7 year to build mine as i like it and now every time something brakes i always go for an upgrade.
So far i have upgraded the front fender to carbon, the clutch master cylinder with a brembo because of the 6 stronger clutch springs, new brake lines (i need to find a better rear brake master cylinder, it needs a lot of foot pressure to brake the rear wheel), the battery with a lithium one, the front lights with led bulbs etc.
have a look here Finally i went turbo | Turbo
Since then i have installed water injection power commander, autotune, and many other small upgrades.
Chris
Hi. I had the 3/4 upper made in CF and they reinforced it with fiberglass as I am trying to run as close as I can to 300 MPH. If you want you can call me at 508-496-3313.

Back