Ram Air Good or Bad?

OB_Jamie

Registered
I remember reading here that you all were pretty pissed off over the Sport Rider articles on ram air. Personally I didn't see why because they did say that they couldn't produce enough air to pressurize that air box up to the needed specs. If they hadn't tested the Busa at all I'm sure that there'd have been complaining about that too. I guess you all felt disappointed that the test didn't give as much info on your own bike as you'd have liked. My bike wasn't included at all so imagine how I felt. Still though, I thought it was a semi-informative article and I've always liked SR ever since I picked up one of their October issues off the news stand. UFO Baby!!! I personally think any numbers obtained by Ram Air equipped dynos are use less and uncomparable. If the scoop is positioned in the wrong place the box might not see as much pressure as a Dyno's Ram Air system might add. The only real way to test HP at speed that I see is to tow your dyno behind your Diablo. The SR test was pretty close to that with their measurement at speed and reproduction on the dyno. The only bad thing about that is that if a bike saw 15mb at 170mph @ 10,000rpm unless the mb were proportional to the rpm of the bike they were feeding 15mb to the box at 5000rpm too and getting higher readings for lower revs. Understandable?

BTW, I see ram air dynos as a sales gimmic. If my bike makes more power with a fan blowing into it's duct than the the place down the street that doesn't use a fan. I'm gonna run it on the dyno that gives the highest readings. I mean if you looked at two books that gave values for used cars you'd buy the one that said your car was worth the most right? Unless we all use fans and at the same pressure the readings are apples to oranges. Who comes up with the pressure numbers anyhow? Like the SR article proved a ZX7 and a GSXR750 while both 750s they have different pressure outputs at the same speed, due to design and/or poor fitment.

Anyhow, that's not the reason for this thread. Just an opinion I wanted to get off my chest.

OK, now that you (and I) are confused here's the real topic.

We all agree that Ram Air adds power at high speeds, but at low speeds it actually hurts flow to the engine due to it's tubing and such. My question to the Techies out there is if you removed your box (on any bike) and added individual filters to each carb/throttle body you'd gain some power with the correct jetting/mapping. Do you think the removal of the ram air would net you as much power as the ram air adds at speed? I think it would surely add power for low speed races like drag racing.

I came up with this question after two things happened. One, while on the phone with a guy at Super Bike Mike discussing making more power with a ZX11 the guy said that they'd removed it off of their 1298cc ZX11. It was a restriction. I don't know if the bike that is on this board on another thread had the Ram air or not but it's speed was pretty high, 190+. And Two, I'd torn my bike apart to add a Ram Air enhancer kit to the system. I had the airbox all cut up and I realized that I was gonna miss a local dyno shoot out that I felt I should attend since I won it last year. I threw the bike together and went over. After winning it again I was celebrating out on the high way on my way home. The bike still pulled as hard as ever, if not harder, all the way up the dial to 175+mph where I let off because of cars ahead. I'd had the bike that high up many times before and it felt about the same as with the ram air working. The jetting was off but the power was there. It felt to me like I hadn't lost power by unhooking the ram air. Any thoughts? Could the removal of the air box add as much power as the ram air adds?

Personally I think Ram air is an Improvement over non ram air.If you look at the charts in the Sport Riders 2nd ram air test it clearly shows an improvement across the rpm band.Cool dense air makes more horsepower than hot air.I agree it could be a restriction if designed wrong and it could hinder horsepower at lower rpm/lower speed but like the man says everything has a price.The Busa`s ram air system is flawed both by the pair systems intake(if you feel with your finger the pair tubing it pulls major vacume) the drain, which is designed to open on positive pressure! and most of all the seal between the air box and ram air intake but it can be fixed for about 10 bucks.If you want low rpm horsepower/torque buy a Harley if you want a rocket buy a Busa :) and besides if ram air didn`t work they wouldn`t design "all fighter aircraft" with it would they now! LOL

[This message has been edited by gsx1300rguy (edited 07 December 1999).]

Part of the reason the Hayabusa shows low pressure readings inside the airbox is due to the fact that at 1300cc, the engine gulps a lot of air, period. That tends to keep the pressure inside the box below atmospheric. Other than that, people I have talked to about ram air who obviously know more than I do about it say it is a touchy area to try to get performance gains from, basically voodoo. The one thing people seem to agree on is that the Kawasaki Ninja series sportbikes do make especially good use of their ram-air.

Back