Truck people

course you could just get one with a 5300 Vortec.. tons of power and really good gas mileage...

you just need to go ride a chevy dude.. you'll stop thinking about those 2nd rate trucks real fast.

Well, I had a Silverado (2001). Lets just say, I no longer own any GM products. Unacceptable durability. For a daily driver, not to tow a major load, I now have a Nissan CrewCab (tow rating at 5000 lbs). I don't see the use in spending big bucks for a big mega dually monster hauler, unless its gonna be commercial use or towing large loads every weekend. Whenever I need more tow capacity, I'll get an OLD truck for dirt, slap a reman. engine/tranny in it and rebuild the diff. Then I'll tow with all the dependability I'll need and not have wasted money on something I don't use much. Oh, It'll be a DODGE!!! ;-) You can't find any old ones for sale that aren't in shitty shape 'cause no-one wants to part with 'em.

Oh, even the Chevy/GM mechanics tell me not to buy a diesel GM. They say the life span of the engine is about 60k miles. If you get over that, you are in the minority. Cummins turbo diesel all the way, that motor will outlast any body/frame.

If ya want big power, buy a Cummins, add some 275hp injectors, and a Bully Dog fueling computer like I did.
I know guys that are gettin over 500hp outta thier Cummins, and well over 1000 lbs of torque....no bs

Yes the pic is doctered. :beerchug:

mywh.jpg

msf, can i do that to my 12 valve? how much did it cost?
Unfortunately, the 12 valves are not computer controlled.....therefore no fueling computer, however.......you can update the injectors, and In place of the fueling computer you can take it to yer local diesel dyno shop, and get them to install what's called a modified cam plate, then tune it for max hp.
You can also install (or get installed) a propane injection system that usually affords around a 60hp increase, but these kits are usually more for racing, or when you need a li'l extra blast to climb a hill while pullin a trailer and such.
I know 12V guys that are makin over 400 realiable hp.....at the cost of a little fuel economy.
If you wanna know more, I'll give you the web URL of a guy I know in Pittsburg who is a diesel guru, and owns a serious diesel upgrade shop. :beerchug:

I have always prefered Fords until I got my Silverado.I think I'll stay with GM. That new Dodge is Very nice though.They are pretty much like motorcycles its really hard to buy a bad one.All of them are nice.

Yeah I would look really hard at what you need to do with a Big ole Truck.  Really, how often are you going to need all that mass and crappy gas milage.  If it's for work the Dodge with a Cummings is the Bomb.  A motor that will last for freaking ever.  Good resale also.  
 But if your just needing a truck for occasional household stuff and you do not get caught in all the Macho big truck hype... Get a Toyota Tacoma TRD 4WD Xtra-cab.  Serious off road capabilities, decent bed size, Toyota reliability and resale up the wazoo.
 But if your stuck on a full size gas guzzler anyway?  But really do not the super heavy duty Cummings?  My money would go to the GMC dealer, best riding handling trucks I have been in.  Solid, quiet, smooth trucks...  <table style=filter:glow(color=red)>IMNSHO</table>

I have always prefered Fords until I got my Silverado.I think I'll stay with GM. That new Dodge is Very nice though.They are pretty much like motorcycles its really hard to buy a bad one.All of them are nice.
My Silverado was not. The entire cooling system went out at less than 60,000miles. That is totally unacceptable. I know of no-one who has a Japanese truck who had a waterpump or other non-accident induced coolant system failure with less than 100k miles, regardless of how fast they were or were not piled on. I have since heard of many American truck owners who have had failures of multiple sorts before 100k. I am on the road every day for my job. I cannot afford to have anything unreliable like that. Hey when the GM people fixed it, the truck started having problems the very next week. The mechanics said they had no clue what was wrong. That's when I said bye bye to the Silverado, and GM.

But if your stuck on a full size gas guzzler anyway?  But really do not the super heavy duty Cummings?  
actually my diesel gets around16 mpg. not bad for almost 7000lbs.
Whatever you gotta tell yourself Bro!!! :tounge:

Actually I have seen several large displacement motors that do get better gas milage than the small V-6 in the same chassis. Not to hard to work out really, I figure the big motors loaf along on the highway, while the smaller motors have to work harder to do the same work...

But if your stuck on a full size gas guzzler anyway?  But really do not the super heavy duty Cummings?  
actually my diesel gets around16 mpg. not bad for almost 7000lbs.
Whatever you gotta tell yourself Bro!!!    :tounge:

Actually I have seen several large displacement motors that do get better gas milage than the small V-6 in the same chassis.  Not to hard to work out really, I figure the big motors loaf along on the highway, while the smaller motors have to work harder to do the same work...
Agreed, those smaller motors also don't last as long.

But hey, who cares about gas milage anyway? :laugh:

Oh yea. I do. :tounge:

well i can say suburbans are tough. these are three chevy's we took to the desert for a couple of days, rented on the navys buck. they are tough! we put them to the test.
with cargo onboard to(each truck about 400 pounds of ammo, ordnance, guns and gear.

TOUGH

op4_8.JPG

I heard the rotors go bad quickly on Dodges, and the transmissions aren't very good. But the Cummins diesel is extremely reliable. But who wouldn't want a Hemi? Now I'm confused.

Back