Niece wants a ride for her Birthday.. What's age is ok?

ottafish

Registered
So, my niece is having a birthday in a couple weeks and wants a ride on the back of the bike for her b'day present.
Her mum, (my sister) is ok and fine with it. - And of course, jacket, gloves and helmet supplied. Riding jeans if I can get a cheap pair
It's her 13th b'day and she's now 5'8" so height isn't an issue.

What do you guys think is too young or age to be at to get on back of a road going bike?

Totally fine with this:
I wouldn't go ripping down the interstate with 5yr old, but to the store and back...sure. Don't care about the age as long as they can hold their head up with a real helmet on and keep their balance. Just like adult passengers, they need to know how to be a passenger. The guy above did that in a previous video where they just went in the yard and street to get her used to holding on and leaning.
I would definitely wait until they can fully sit on the bike and hold on before going for a "thrill" ride...

They have to reach the pegs first of all. Second, w/o any prior riding experience some detailed instruction on how to hold on and stay stationary should occur. My grand kids aren’t old enough but when they are, in addition to a proper fitting helmet, jacket and gloves, they’ll also wear over the ankle boots and knee protection. The last thing I’d want to do is to try and explain why I didn’t see to it that they were as protected as I was regardless of speed, duration or route taken. For the younger smaller ones, they make kid belts, a belt that surrounds them and is attached to the pilot. It eliminates the requirement for them to hang onto the pilot. Some kids can be mesmerized on a longish ride and actually fall asleep. For the bigger kids, another belt is also an idea.

. Don’t know why it sz verify your identity

If ya got a topbox put it on or a packrack , gives a wee bit of assurance that they wont slide off the back , and what those two ^^^^ blokes said ;)

Thanks for the replies...
Yeah, this will only be a few times around the block - nothing more and nothing over about 60kph, (30mph in old money)
I'll have the Ventura rack on as I'll need to carry the gear and helmet there anyway as it's about 150km away..
I may have the Givi rack on by then and it has the jesus bars to hold onto which may be helpful too

Your niece sounds as though she is as big or bigger than an adult woman so she should be perfectly fine to take for a ride wherever you want to go....

My rule has been as long as they can reach the pegs and wear a helmet, they are GTG, I took my boys out on rides all the time...
Of course they were riding dirt bikes since they were knee high to a grasshopper's leg so they had the basics down pat.

Your niece sounds as though she is as big or bigger than an adult woman so she should be perfectly fine to take for a ride wherever you want to go....

My rule has been as long as they can reach the pegs and wear a helmet, they are GTG, I took my boys out on rides all the time...
Of course they were riding dirt bikes since they were knee high to a grasshopper's leg so they had the basics down pat.
Hi. My grandaughter is 7 and she rides my daughters show horse. My daughter Melanie was 3 when I took her for a ride in my F 5000 Lola. WOW this thread brought back a very sad memory back in July of 2016 my d was killed by her boyfriend. If any wants to know more Melanie Heuberger killed in CT.

When they can reach their feet to the passenger footrests.

My dad gave me a ride on my brothers bike when I was very small and I slid over the side and bit the pavement. Some scrapes and muffler burns, god thing he was going very slow. Glad I didn't slip over the chain side and get my foot cut off. Geeze my dad disregarded personal safety his whole life. LOL I remember I was 12 years old when he took my 100 cc Yamaha home in his truck with nothing securing it but me. Of course, it fell over in the bed of the truck before I ever even rode it. Later on, he let me ride up a 12 foot long steel plate into the back of his truck. The plate had edges bent over for reinforcement but it was only a foot wide. He just said, "go fast and grab the brakes when you get in the truck." I was still the only means of securing the bike but I had learned by that time not to trust him going around a corner. I would jump up and sit on the bike when approached a corner...nothing too dangerous about that!

My advice, don't be an uncle like my dad. :laugh:

So, my niece is having a birthday in a couple weeks and wants a ride on the back of the bike for her b'day present.
Her mum, (my sister) is ok and fine with it. - And of course, jacket, gloves and helmet supplied. Riding jeans if I can get a cheap pair

What do you guys think is too young or age to be at to get on back of a road going bike?
My son was 5 and I put him on the tank of my BMW -K 100 rt

This one is now grown , and rode with me for 12 years. We went very fast , and he use to be a bit scared but it became his addiction . Now his younger brother took his place . This was his 1st ride a few years ago and he fell asleep on me ! Its not a issue now though. They all grew up around motors / motorcycles . The little boy making fists , and monkey sounds is the one two up with me .
DSC_1205.JPG
20160705_201524.jpg
DSC_2211.JPG
Joseph , and Hunter.jpg
20201231_191143_HDR.jpg

My nephew rides with my brother and he's 5, but we have a harness that goes around the both and has hand bars.

Back