Next maintenance project - Tappet clearances

Wag

Evil Demon Busa Rider
Donating Member
Registered
From the manual, seems like a boatload of wrenching. A million hours of time. However, any details from all y'all would be nice to have, if you can spare the time to describe this project!

As before, I'll take the time to do pictures for future generations, etc. Seems like it's going to take a week or so to do it all.

Shoulda done it when I had everything apart for the Throttle Body Synch project. Still . . . .

--Wag--

From the manual, seems like a boatload of wrenching. A million hours of time. However, any details from all y'all would be nice to have, if you can spare the time to describe this project!

As before, I'll take the time to do pictures for future generations, etc. Seems like it's going to take a week or so to do it all.

Shoulda done it when I had everything apart for the Throttle Body Synch project. Still . . . .

--Wag--
Hey Lou, let me know if you need any assistance, I'll be more than happy to help ya out...

Just checking them isn't too bad, but if you have any that are out of spec then you have some work ahead of you... I will bet you a 6-pack that you won't have any out of spec!
biggrin.gif

Just checking them isn't too bad, but if you have any that are out of spec then you have some work ahead of you... I will bet you a 6-pack that you won't have any out of spec!
biggrin.gif
What makes you say none will be out of spec.?
I am just asking because I have 17k+ on my 01 and I was going to make this one of my "Winter Projects".
If someone has been and done that.......I won't even start.
Because mine are not making any noise above the Norm.

biggrin.gif
Well, it has 19K miles and it's never been checked that I know about.

It's still running very well so I'll be you're right.

No bet!! :-)

--Wag--

Guys if you dont care to let me know how they are I would appreciate it looks like mine will be comming up next winter yes a year away but that is how bad I dred doing this one... last bike ZRX was a hour or two job removing cams sounds bad to me...

When mine need to be done I'll be taking it to pflugerville! I can do wonderful things with a BBC but don't ask me to stick my fat fingers in the guts of my baby! I'm not qualified.

I had the bike dyno'd Saturday. I'll post the sheet tomorrow. But it came out at 198mph and it was at 167hp. I doubt it has any tappets so far out of clearance that it's a real problem!

This project is on hold for now!

--Wag--

Hey at worst they can look like this and can eventually cause major engine failure

tappets2.JPG

What the heck happened?? That hurts to look at... but I always say check the clearances! Checking isn't that hard & should be done at the recommended intervals.
biggrin.gif

Yea I know it sucks, Im past it. This happened on a 7k mile bike that the motor was worked at 3k. Pretty much just ehh.. spirited street ridin' with the occasional 1/4 trackday.

Since she's been all freshened up and improved apon.. Anyone who says they can get 220+ hp out of a motor that is designed to make 170 at best with no problems is just plain crazy.

What the heck happened?? That hurts to look at... but I always say check the clearances! Checking isn't that hard & should be done at the recommended intervals.
biggrin.gif
Ya, know I have several good ideas but no one is really sure. Btw, this happened last spring and she's all buttoned now.

It could have been a bad cam surface, slightly out of spec tappet.. Clearances had been checked at 5k and were all good. The cam lobes looked to be pointy and impacted.. weird. I say it was the cams.. Not completly sure though.

The MAJOR part that sucked about the whole thing was

1. Tappets are usually on nation-wide back order.
2. Although four looked physically screwed their were more like 6 or 7 that were. I didn't chance it I bought all 16 of em'
3. I have seen brand new tappets in sealed "Suzuki Genuine Parts" bags that were all jacked up.
4. They cost around 40 BUCKS EACH! That was almost 700 bucks right there not including replacement Carpenter Web cams all new valves reworked head and labor.

Needless to say it sucked. I did however know what I was getting into when I decided to go into the motor the first time around.

<!--EDIT|grabntwist
Reason for Edit: None given...|1134158646 -->

So you're suggesting I check 'em regardless, eh?

Still need a how to, though.

--Wag--

So you're suggesting I check 'em regardless, eh?  

Still need a how to, though.

--Wag--
I wanna say that they're probably ok. However any preventative maitenance can and will save you major $$$.. One + is if you're all stock and you have a problem you can upgrade. I unfortunatly was not when I had my problems.
wink.gif
I did uprade for the second time.
smile.gif

I would definitely check them Wag. I was just saying that I would be suprised if you have any out of spec. But you still need to check them to see if I owe you a 6 pack!
biggrin.gif
I can send you the walk-through on it tomorrow if you would like...
wink.gif

Well, I have 20,000 miles on the bike as of a couple of weeks ago. To my knowledge, tappets have never been checked. I'll have to go through my records and see if it got done at some point along the way and I've just forgotten.

In any case, based on its performace, I'm thinking I don't have any major issues at this point. If you think I should play it absolutely safe, though, I'm all ears.

--Wag--

Back