Newspaper Article on Full Tilt Riders

Thinker62

Donating Member
Registered
My club hit the Portland paper today (The ORegonian). What kind of bikes are those in the picture? :beerchug:

Bikers become buddies and hang out on 23rd
by Jessica Machado, Special to The Oregonian Thursday September 18, 2008, 12:00 AM

Oregonian.jpg
[/IMG]
Jessica Machado/Special to The Oregonian
Greg "Thinker" Hall (far left) and his girlfriend, Julie "Jewel" Bean (behind tree) are among the Full Tilt Riders who gather at Santa Fe Taqueria on Northwest 23rd to socialize and show off their Japanese sport bikes.

When you ride one of the fastest motorcycles in the world, you want to be seen. Even if it means cruising up and down a strip of chichi boutiques and eateries.

For years, Nob Hill's Northwest 23rd Avenue, or "Trendy-third," has been synonymous with weekend warriors vrooming their engines for a captive audience of meandering shoppers and curbside diners.

Pull up to Santa Fe Taqueria on a sunny day, and count the number of Japanese sports bikes — a display of shiny blue and neon green bullets that can clock nearly 200 mph — backed up against the curb.

"Santa Fe's a great spot for people watching," says Greg "Thinker" Hall, the Full Tilt Riders' founder and national president. "There's always something to look at, from attractive women to weird people."

Every Sunday this summer at 11 a.m., the Full Tilt Riders gather at Santa Fe for a quick burrito or Corona before riding through windy roads to Cannon Beach or the Cascades to Detroit Lake.

Hunkered over outdoor picnic tables, they're armed in matching black leather vests with patches of their nicknames, such as "Bone Crusher" and "Zorro," sewn onto their backs. Yet their demeanor is somewhat mannered, their laughter contained and their smiles polite.

Jessica Machado/Special to The Oregonian
Helmets wait while riders grab burritos before heading out for a Sunday ride. "We've never had a problem with them," says Santa Fe co-owner Maya Cardoso of the Full Tilt Riders. "If a cute girl walks by, she gets stared down. That's about it."

Full Tilt member Justin Chase bought his first bike, a Suzuki Hayabusa, two years ago. "The greatest thing about this club is that they've never been about color, background or religion," Chase says. "From Day One, they accepted me with open arms. I was the second white guy to join."

Full Tilt's Portland chapter also has five female members, including Hall's girlfriend, Julie Bean.

"After riding with Greg for a year, I wanted my own bike," Bean says. "Now, I'll never ride on the back of one again."

Her boyfriend Hall, a marketing executive who got his nickname "Thinker" from his tattoo of Rodin's famous sculpture, started the club in Portland five years ago with a group of eight riding buddies. They held an open enrollment period, and now the Portland chapter has 30 riders — and there are nine other chapters across the country.

At its heart, Full Tilt is a stable social outlet for a membership of transplants living far away from their families.

"The motorcycle community has a stigma of a gang thing," says 20-year rider Gus Oakley of Full Tilt's Seattle chapter, who drove to Portland for the club's annual bikini car wash fundraiser last month. "We want to change that image."

Last year, the Portland chapter adopted families for the holidays, participated in the Komen Portland Race for the Cure and visited the St. Mary's Home for Boys.

This summer, chapter members organized camping and skydiving trips. And once weather conditions aren't prime for riding — which is three-fourths of the year — they'll play in billiards and bowling leagues, and, of course, meet at their favorite bar.

"I know I can always come down to Santa Fe, and someone else I know will already be here," Hall says.

Jessica Machado; portland@news.oregonian.com

WOW! Finally some good words in the news regarding bikes and riders.

It sounds like you guys are sort of informal "Good will ambassadors". You should be pretty pleased with your collective public image!

Thanks for sharing :beerchug:

WOW! Finally some good words in the news regarding bikes and riders.

It sounds like you guys are sort of informal "Good will ambassadors". You should be pretty pleased with your collective public image!

Thanks for sharing :beerchug:

That' s cause the reporter didn't follow them to those twisty roads she wrote about. If she had seen the way those baby's rip through the roads after that meal..... well that will be next weeks article ....... "Are Sport bikes to dam fast" :laugh: they will forget how they bring people of all ages, races, and religions together for fun and to support their community's and each other.. But a very refreshing out look not enough of those reads around, thanks for sharing.

Last edited:
Back