Newbie to Mods

Kripley

Registered
A little background, I am not exactly a new Busa owner, but new to the world of mods. I got my first Busa (black/orange gen2) back in '08, but unfortunately was hit on it about 2 months after getting it. Since then i spent some time working on restoring the fairings, shortly after I joined the army, and haven't spent much time in the states since then (on 2nd deployment and previously stationed in Germany). I was stationed at Ft Carson for about 6 months before starting this current deployment, but ended up getting into a wreck (hit a 5in x 5in metal beam that fell off the back of a truck right in front of me while we were going 90ish). Havent had much luck as far as the bike goes, but no major injuries. I am about to return from this deployment very soon and am going to going to purchase a new Busa with some add on's right off the bat this time around.

List of changes:
- BMC Street Air Filter
- ECU Flash
- PCV
- Yoshi R-77 dual slip ons (carbon/carbon)

A few questions I have are.. Would it be better to break in the engine before or after making any changes? And would it be better to take it to someone who knows what they are doing for a good tune up, or take it somewhere that they run dyno's and have the dyno and tune up done there, once everything has been added on? Ive been looking around for several days trying to find some answers but haven't been able to find any solid ones for these yet. Any help or suggestion would be appreciated.

If you want a dyno tune and an ecu flash, you don't need a power commander. You don't need a pc anyway, the base maps aren't that great, and you'll notice nothing with just mufflers/slipons.
You would also benefit more from a full exhaust than just slipons, especially if you're going to have it dyno tuned.
If you want the R77 slipons, get a Vance&Hines universal header to go with them.
You don't NEED a dyno tune for any of it, but it's definitely worth doing.
You can have the restrictions removed and a few other tweaks with Ecu Editor or Woolrich flash, and still have it dyno tuned with a power commander. But save a couple hundred bucks, forget about the pc, and have the air/fuel tuned with Ecu Editor or Woolrich on the dyno. A good dyno tune will really smooth things out, the bike will perform much better.
As for the break in, go ahead with the mods and ride it like ya stole it, seriously.
Set the suspension sag for YOUR body weight with YOU on the bike, that is free and the most important thing to do to any bike with adjustable suspension. The suspension setup is specific to rider weight, and is in no way correct from the factory.
You will be amazed at the difference in handling.
Stainless steel brake lines will improve brake feel, and more/most importantly a set of EBC HH "Extreme Pro" ceramic pads will stop you sooner.
Making the bike handle and stop shorter is money well spent...much more so than a few more hp.
Thank you sir for your service, welcome back to the org, and I hope you stay on this one.
There's alot of good people here to help you with whatever you may need.:beerchug:

Where are you located? The suspension is a great start...some gear...the cosmetic stuff is always cool...exh is a big help...using a stock air filter for awhile is ok also...or at least sell it when you get the aftermarket one. Getting braided lines for the brakes and clutch help a bit although not necessary.

You're adding an air filter to a new bike that has a better air filter IMHO ..... Slip ons don't change the bike performance enought to talk about, but do change the appearance and weight. I suggest you take the extra money and purchase a full system. If performance matters to you, you'll have to look for a performance pipe. YouTube is full of Busa with pipe vids for your sampling. Unleash that ECU if your tuner needs a PC get one, there's guys that tune through the ECU too. It saves you money and it's one less failure point.

You can break in the motor with all these changes added.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the help. I am very much out of my element when it comes to all of this. With the help of sixpack577, I'm now looking at Akrapovic cf dual full exhaust system (Im a fan of the dual pipes look), and an ECU Editor. Rather then the PC, ECU flash, and r-77s.

Where are you located?

When I get back i will be at Ft Carson in Colorado Springs, CO for roughly 2 months, then moving back to Mesa AZ around June.

i think you've already received some pretty good advice so i'll just say :welcome: to the board...also, with your track record so far, i would be looking at investing heavily in safety gear :thumbsup:

thanks for your service and welcome back home :beerchug:

Ride it for awhile before you see what YOU want modded first .

I know what I'm wanting done for the most part. Just not all the specifics on the best products/services to get it done. Been riding for 10yrs now (never owned anything with 4 wheels yet :laugh: and don't regret it at all - Im 26), and a busa owner since '08, just never really had the time or the means to do a lot as far as mods go. And with getting side swiped shortly after getting the '08, the money i had set aside for mods, went to fixing up the fairings, and replacing what i couldn't fix.

.also, with your track record so far, i would be looking at investing heavily in safety gear :thumbsup:

2 lay downs in 10 years isn't that bad, is it? :laugh::whistle:

Back